How to controll the disk autostart programming in mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by MayPeng, Jan 23, 2011.

1. MayPeng macrumors member

Hi,guys
    Counld you know that how to How to controll the disk autostart programming in mac?

I use the MacImage tool to produce a HFS volume. So every time i plug my usb device to the mini mac, it will autostart.

Now i want to controll autostart in my code whenever i want it appear it will appear.

How could i do?

Thank you!

2. MayPeng thread starter macrumors member

I want to supply as the following:
    i have a way that i first get disk path and then simulate mouse right-click or double-click to display contents in disk. Now i have gotten its path .
    but i want to simulate mouse right-click or double-click to perform the
    "Open" operation to display contents in the disk;
    How to do it ?

3. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Applications that start automatically when a USB device is plugged into the Macintosh would be very, very dangerous. A hacker with a carefully prepared device could hack into any Macintosh that is not carefully watched in public.

I assume that Apple has done their best to make this impossible, and don't expect anyone to help you with this.

4. lloyddean macrumors 6502a

Very true - thus the deafening silence!

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

autorun is one of the worst features of Windows. (JMHO). I prefer the way Mac OS X handles DMGs, put it "in your face" and it's your responsibility to perform the desired action (copy to Applications folder, etc...).

B

6. lee1210 macrumors 68040

lee1210

By "carefully prepared" you mean like a bootable copy of an OS install disk that lets you reset admin passwords? =)

You can make a very pleasant looking finder window including an image with instructions on installation, etc. or an installer.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=474334

That thread links a site that gives some details on prepping your nice looking window that will open on mount.

-Lee

7. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

I was thinking about something a lot faster. In public you would watch your MacBook so nobody can steal it. There is no way someone could boot from a USB drive while you watch it. But they might be able to plug in a USB stick, and if some small app launches automatically and quickly, that could do a lot of damage.