How to convert a DVD to Touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Sweetbike40, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

I'm on a macG5 and would like to put a movie/DVD onto the iPod Touch, which software is best for this? (can After Effects do this?)

Also... how to convert a movie from my Canon camera? I looked at the iTouch manual and it look like i could just drop the camera movie into iTunes and use a converter in there. Anyone tried that?

Thanks for any help.

2. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

I think there's a forum specifically for media questions, etc. In a nut shell, Handbrake will convert a DVD for you, take the time to google 'ipod handbrake' go to their site and read their FAQ.

3. Sweetbike40 thread starter macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

thanks

:)
    I'll look in the media area. I did a search within the forums and it came up with everything but my question.

4. Ninden macrumors member

Ninden

Handbrake is great for ripping dvds. As far as the camera video though, iTunes should work. If that doesn't work I suggest iSquint (or its for pay big brother visual hub) for encoding to the iPod.

5. chicagopepper macrumors newbie

Ripping DVDs on my Powerbook G4 should be painfully slow, right? Because it is.

6. TimJim macrumors 6502a

Here but just make sure to change the resolution to that of the touch's.

7. fishcube macrumors 6502

After conversion with Handbrake, how does one get it onto itunes?

SK

8. bucksatan731 macrumors member

VisualHub

Best conversion tool in my opinion? VisualHub.. I know it doesnt rip, but I use mac the ripper, then visual hub. It rocks. Lets you optimize for any type, and has an option to add to itunes when done converting. check it out
    http://techspansion.com/visualhub/

9. fishcube macrumors 6502

Seems that only works with Macs, I have Windows XP.

Anyone know how to get a converted (Handbrake) DVD to itunes?

SK

10. infectbda macrumors member

Handbrake will output a MP4 file (if you use the correct preset). Simply locate this file, and drag-and-drop it into iTunes. Or File > Add to Library... and choose the output file.

11. zepharus macrumors 6502a

zepharus

Grab the new Handbrake 0.9.0 user the presetting for iPhone on the side. Change the bitrate to 2500 and rip away.

Looks fantastic and takes about 45min with a 2.2Ghz MBP

12. fishcube macrumors 6502

I tried both and nothing happens...? I take that its supposed to show up under Movies correct?

SK

13. infectbda macrumors member

Yeah, as long as it's a Quicktime supported video file, it should be showing up in iTunes. What is the extension of the video file?

14. adauge macrumors regular

adauge

does handbrake take off security features too or just rip home movies?

15. infectbda macrumors member

It can decode CSS, but no other security features. So this means it works with most commercial DVDs.

16. adauge macrumors regular

adauge

thanks

17. fishcube macrumors 6502

file is .mp4

18. infectbda macrumors member

Does it play okay in Quicktime? If not, you might have a bad file. If it does, that is very perplexing.

19. --Wolf-- macrumors regular

Question (never done this before and don't have my Touch yet)

Can I simply play a DVD through my laptop (Windows XP, dvd reader) and somehow get it onto the laptop, then use that Handbrake (does it work with Windows?) to make it work for the Touch.

Prolly a really nooby question, but I only want 300 the movie on my Touch (any idea how big is it anyone?)

20. infectbda macrumors member

Yeah, they have a Windows version. It's actually really simple - you can just choose the DVD, use the iPhone preset (you can modify it slightly if you want), and click Start. It takes a bit, but once it's finished, you just drag the file into iTunes, and you're done. I ripped in Star Wars Episode 4, which is just over 2 hours, and with the iPhone preset as-is, it is 982MB. So that should give you an idea.

Hope that is helpful.

21. --Wolf-- macrumors regular

Wow, sounds easy. But getting it from the DVD to the laptop. I never watch dvd's on my laptop, so I assume there must be a way to "drag" it from the dvd to the hardrive?

And is the iPhone preset the same (dimensions, pixels n whatever else matters?) as the Touch?

22. infectbda macrumors member

Yeah, there is a way to image the disk, and then use Handbrake on the image instead, but I find it more convenient to slap the DVD in my computer and let it take an hour to do whatever. I should also note that you don't have to actually WATCH the DVD as Handbrake does it's thing.

And as the resolution on the iPhone and iPod touch are the same, the preset should work equally well.

23. --Wolf-- macrumors regular

So Handbrake can read it straight from the disc? I don't need to have it directly on my Hardrive?

24. infectbda macrumors member

Yeah. You just select the drive, and it goes on-the-fly from the drive straight to the MP4 file.

25. --Wolf-- macrumors regular

Sounds too easy. Will have to get some dvds and download Handbrake, thanks!

EDIT: Was just reading:

Windows 2000 SP4 or Windows XP SP1

Does it work with SP2?