How to convert girlfriend to Mac?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bodhi395, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Bodhi395 macrumors 6502a

My girlfriend currently has a 3 year old sony laptop in which the trackpad click isn't working, the battery is dead, and in general its buggy and slow. She wants to get a new laptop computer and I have told her numerous times that a Macbook Pro would be the perfect laptop. Yet, she is morally opposed to buying a Mac for some reason, and loves Windows. The only reasons she could articulate to me why she doesn't want a Mac is no right click, and the way you close windows is different. I've told her how stable and bug free Macs are, and how easy to use, and how well designed and well constructed, yet she won't listen. I even told her she could load windows on it if she wanted.

Anyone have any tips on how I could convince her to go with the macbook pro, which I think is far superior to any PC laptops out there?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I preferred finding a girl who loved her Mac and worked on converting her to me :eek:

3. Mike225 macrumors 6502a

Mike225

let her use yours and show her how everything works. She'll either think its worth it or not. Why do you feel the need to force a mac on her?

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You can right-click in Macs as well. If she doesn't want one, then the case is closed. There are plenty of good PC lappies available and they are cheaper than MBPs are. Your best bet is to show her your Mac and take her to an Apple Store but if she still doesn't one, then stop it. There is no reason to push her to get a Mac if she doesn't want to.

5. LPZ macrumors 65816

Listen to Mike225. Trying to "convert" a girlfriend sounds like a bad idea.

6. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

Carry on with what you are doing and she'll be converting herself out of you.

She likes Windows, she knows the OS, I take it that so far, viruses were not an issue... You should spend less time bullying her into something that she'd be using but only you want; and spending more time having fun with her. If you are so stubborn about a stupid computer, she will know that you cannot be trusted with all sorts of compromises in life.

In the end, you might either have to get a fangirl or can only shag your Mac. Relationships and computers don't enjoy the same attention with most people, fortunately.

7. Covart Guest

Convert her. You know what they say, "Once you go Mac, you never go back." ;)

8. Bodhi395 thread starter macrumors 6502a

You're right, but there are practical reasons for her getting a Mac. I could fix any problems she has with it, but if she has problems with windows I'm much less well versed. I also just want her to have a well made computer that works and isn't so buggy and prone to break.

The only reasons I think anyone ever would need a Windows computer as opposed to a Mac is if they are a gamer, or if they use professional applications that are not available on a Mac. But people that use a computer to surf the web mostly, which is what she primarily does on her computer, I don't see why they wouldn't want to use a Mac. I guess I'm biased though since I've been using Macs since I was 12 years old.

BTW: love your quote, "In the end, you might either have to get a fangirl or can only shag your Mac."

9. phenozine macrumors newbie

I did it like this. My wife had an OLD HP. I just bought her a 13 MBP and told her this is what you use now. lol. She loves it.

10. mark28 macrumors 68000

The reason my girlfriend won't buy a Mac are for the following reasons.

1. The affordable 13 inch Macbook Pro is way too small.
    2. The 17 inch is way too expensive for a computer.

But if I bought her one, she'd happily take it. So it's all about the money.

So try buy her one :)

11. ohaithar macrumors 6502a

ohaithar

If she is happy with windows let it be IMO. Don't force her to get a mac

I don't want to turn this to a Mac vs. PC thing but I was about to upgrade to a MacBook pro from my old macbook, until I realized that for the same price I could a windows operating laptop with the same specs and still have money left over.

12. fr4c macrumors 65816

fr4c

I feel like I was in your shoes just 2 years ago. My girlfriend had a pretty decent HP computer, and it seems like every few months or so a re-install was needed because either programs were corrupt or she downloaded a virus of some sort. She didn't mind using Macs either, because during the downtime when her computer was getting repaired she would just take my MBP and use that.

After a while I got fed up of constantly having to fix her computer, so I just went ahead and bought her a 13" MBP. She absolutely loves it, and nothing I say now will convince her to go back.

13. tigress666 macrumors 68040

If she doesn't want it, she doesn't want it. You trying to push the issue is just going to make her even more against it. Trust me, I was much more against PCs when I was in college just cause everyone kept trying to tell me how much better htey were and push me into using one (I went to an engineer's school full of geeks and Mac was most definitely not the favored computer there). Made me come up with all sorts of reasons I liked my Mac better rather than making me want a PC.

Relax. Maybe when you are using hers show her an advantage you like about the OS. Let her make up her own mind. She'll like it much better if she comes to her own conclusion to try it rather than if you pushed her into it. And it is her computer and ultimately she should go with what *she* is happy with, not you.

14. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Lol it doesn't affect you if she has one or not... Its her choice, and if she likes windows, who cares? You'll still have your MBP.

15. Bodhi395 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've even told her I would buy her one, and money doesn't seem to be the problem, she just says she doesn't want one. She also wants a big screen and wouldn't go for anything less than a 15 inch.

Very true, I'm trying to show her how well mine works, and I always remind her how well macs work whenever something goes wrong on her computer, which is often.

I'm hoping she will eventually come around, because I've personally seen people that were dead set against mac, change and become enthusiastic mac supporters. I find people that actually start using a Mac regularly don't want to go back, because it works so much better. I'm hoping her computer completely breaks down and she'll be forced to use my mac for a time before buying a new computer, and hopefully that will convince her to buy a mac.

16. KyleKlink macrumors regular

KyleKlink

+1
    Awesome. I think "told" is the key word here.

17. Constantine1337 macrumors 6502

After I bought THIS case for my 15" MacBook Pro, my GF fell in love with it and bought a 13" one with the same case. BookBook for MBP is really awesome!

18. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Tell her, you do have right click and you close windows by clicking the minimize button. Oh wait, that's how you do it on Windows! :eek:

Nah seriously, just give her money and let her choose her own stuff. It's better that way and you should let her do what she wants. But tell her that she can get a free printer and iPod touch and discount on the Mac (I'm assuming either one of you go to school somewhere), if not then ignore that part.

19. KirkL macrumors 6502

I'm sure you know this but you can designate the bottom right of the Trackpad as a Right Click...plus Two Finger Click = Right Click. I might be mistaken but I think you need to enable both of them.

About the close buttons being on the left, I got used to this in two years - literally. Plus with Mac, you have to get used to "Cmd + Q" for exiting anyway.

I was "morally opposed" a year ago because I hated how much my Mac friends tried to get me to use a Mac. I found the evangelizing really off putting. Let her use a PC if she wants...

OMFG. THAT'S SO AWESOME :eek: :eek: :eek:

I'm soo buying that!

20. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

They say you have to be a student, but they don't require proof. So you could say your a student even if your not.

21. Stingray454 macrumors 6502a

My gf is a design-freak.. I just showed her how nice the macs looked, and it didn't take that much convincing to buy mac instead of her more or less broken PC she had. Design was a big sale point for me. She's got a 27" iMac now and loves it. Btw, the first thing she said when we unpacked it was: "Sweet screen! But.. where's the COMPUTER?" :D She was very pleased when she understood it's built in..

22. akm3 macrumors 68020

23. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Lol that was a nice idea for a dating site whoever thought that up... :D

24. AshStorm macrumors member

Let her use it and show her how to get things done on your MBP so you can realize how much easier it is.

My history has always been a hardcore Windows user from both the consumer level and the developer level.

I picked up a MBP figuring it would suit me well for going back to school. After I started using it, I was really SURPRISED how much I liked it. I really didn't think I'd take to it as well as I did.

25. Sankersizzle macrumors 6502a

Sankersizzle

Dude, if your girlfriend doesn't want a Mac, don't make her get one. Don't even pressure her. That's how you drive people away, especially girls. If there's anything girls hate (other than driving in their own lanes) it's being pressured into something. Trust me.

I can totally understand why she doesn't Mac, maybe you're being the stubborn one here.