how to convince parents macs are different

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dominicansrul93, Apr 6, 2007.

1. dominicansrul93 macrumors regular

im in skool and my parents wont buy a mac cause they think computers are computers
    what should i do and tell them to convince them that macs are different. cause i have my own personal dell inspiron 6000 and my family comp (which is the one im hoping will be replaced with a mac) is an old hp desktop.

plz help cause if not ill have to wait 4 years till i go to college and get one!:(

2. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

What's skool?

And if your parents are saying 'computers are computers', I doubt saying that OSX doesn't get viruses, is far more user friendly yada yada yada is really going to do very much.

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i dont think its that big of a deal. computers are expensive so most parents arent going to buy one just for the sake of getting a mac. i say deal with it if they wont budge. heck my family didnt even own a computer aside from a mac plus until i was in 9th grade back in 2000

consider yourself fortunate having your own computer while just beginning hs. if your parents were like mine in any means, if they didnt think it was necessary yet i did...i bought it lol

i guess i just hate how people, especially younger people including many i know personally, feel a sense of entitlement to nice things on someone else's dollar aka parents.

5. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

Convince your parents by telling them:
    1.You get iLife in Mac OS X, nothing like that in Windows
    2. No viruses, spam, etc.
    3. Easier and simpler system to use than windows
    4. If you do need to use windows, use Boot Camp or Parallels
    5. Macs look nicer
    6. Macs are not expensive as your parents would think
    7. Once you go mac, you will never go back

6. dominicansrul93 thread starter macrumors regular

thx

i do consider myself lucky but the thing is that its the family computer (the old hp) i want to replace. i luv my inspiron. but wen i was looking for my laptop i was SUPER close to getting a mac until my dads friend who is a windows fanboy thats obsiessed with vista convinced him to get a dell.

thx dartzorichalcos and eraserhead for the info!

7. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

I say find a bunch of articles about how bad Vista is compared to OS X and then show them whats coming in leopard. Then compare one computer to a mac so that they can see the specs, even if you take a lowend HP computer and compare it to the iMac 24" :D

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

well in that case i would get a refurb mini to make use of your old equipment. wait until the new ones come out for a drop in price

9. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

You sound like you're being harsh to this kid for no reason, imo. I didn't see a sense of entitlement in his post, it's just that his parents are in the market for a new computer and he wants to convince them to get a Mac because he thinks they're better computers. He isn't saying he DESERVES for them to buy him his own personal Mac, he's just saying he wants advice on how to help his parents make the best choice for everyone in the family on a product they're in the market for anyway.

I could be wrong about this, and please correct me if I am, but I don't see a sense of entitlement or anything else wrong with this kid's post. Just my opinion.

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

yea you're right. my apologies. i just had a rough day. To the op, I'm sorry if that seemed harsh. a little inappropriate on my part. best of luck getting your parents a mac!

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'd do this. There are lots of articles that tell you how crap WinXP and Vista are compared to Mac OS X.

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

A review of Mac OS X Tiger, by a respected news source (eg New York Times in the US, Guardian in the UK) will probably put the point across in a simple to understand way, this is probably a good way to do it.

13. dominicansrul93 thread starter macrumors regular

okay

i accept ur apology and thx for the info!

14. dominicansrul93 thread starter macrumors regular

and by the way

my parents think that besides their high price they are hard to use. they are not very good with computers and barely know how to use them.so the switch could be kinda hard since they have to re-learn the little they know.

15. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

Maybe you can use that as a bargaining chip. Tell them that if they get a mac you'll give them lessons on how to really use a computer. You can even tell them you'll setup a regular lesson time, say 1 hour every friday at 4pm (or whenever) will be their computer lesson.

16. macdaddy121 macrumors 6502a

Well, it is ALOT easier to use instead of a Windows PC. The cost is NOT more expensive and you obviously aren't showing them the prices to prove that. The mac mini is $600 and the iMac is $1000 (education discount is even cheaper). That is not any higher than you would spend on a PC and you get a much nicer computer. Do some research and look online for prices, specs, resale value, etc.....

17. jive macrumors 6502a

The whole "just works thing" is real. It still surprises me.

The fact that external media shows up on the desktop is now essential to how I use computers, **** you My Computer...

18. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

If at all possible, take them to an apple store (maybe not an official one if its not possible) and have the salesman give you a demo. If they are somewhat decent, that will be the best way to convince them to get a mac.

Have them show you a movie made in iLife and how its so easy. Tell them that you can make movies from recent trips or future ones on there. Something you probably wouldn't do on a PC

Also, do you have a digital camcorder that can connect to a computer? If so, then you could tell them that you will put all their videos onto a dvd.

Try to be creative and let them know that there is much more that you can do on the Mac computers that you normally wouldn't do on a pc.

19. dominicansrul93 thread starter macrumors regular

great ideas!

i love all of ur ideas! ill make sure i try them. i live in miami so theres like 2 apple stores were i can demonstrate to them. ill also tell them about leopard in june.

20. nukiduz macrumors 6502

nukiduz

well, if your parents think that "computers are computers" (whatever that means) and if that's the main reason for not buying you one... maybe they just don't want you to own a computer, and that's what macs are.

21. dominicansrul93 thread starter macrumors regular

it means...

it means that they think that pc's and mac's are same and that theyre just computers. but they do want a computer.

22. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

It might be worth explaining to them that computers are about to get revamped for many vendors, and wait for reviews from sources mentioned above like the NYtimes.

23. dominicansrul93 thread starter macrumors regular

wat do u mean a revamp

wat do u mean a revamp

24. BenHoleton macrumors regular

Might I suggest using real spellings of words such as "school" as opposed to skool and using proper capitilization and punctuation to show your parents you are acting like an adult where as they may listen to you a little closer.

25. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert