Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tangel

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2007
The cost is NOT more expensive and you obviously aren't showing them the prices to prove that. The mac mini is $600 and the iMac is $1000 (education discount is even cheaper). That is not any higher than you would spend on a PC

That's not quite true... in fact, a long way off... what about a Dell with better specs than a Mini for $359?
http://www.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/dimen_essential?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

If money is an issue, it's hard to argue Mac is better value. And as far as "It just works", that can be said of most current PC's too. Maybe Vista will have some driver issues for a while, but then again Tiger wasn't flawless when it came out, and I doubt Leopard will be either.

dominicansrul93, if I were a skeptical parent watching my pennies, I'd be wanting some better reasons for getting a Mac than most suggested here. It sounds a little too much like "I just want it" - which parents hear all the time.

My suggestion is to show your commitment to the Mac by offering to pay the difference yourself. In the above example of Mini vs Dell, the difference is $240 - do you reckon you could come up with that? I guarantee THAT would impress them!

Good luck!

Trevor

dominicansrul93

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2007
That's not quite true... in fact, a long way off... what about a Dell with better specs than a Mini for $359?
http://www.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/dimen_essential?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

If money is an issue, it's hard to argue Mac is better value. And as far as "It just works", that can be said of most current PC's too. Maybe Vista will have some driver issues for a while, but then again Tiger wasn't flawless when it came out, and I doubt Leopard will be either.

dominicansrul93, if I were a skeptical parent watching my pennies, I'd be wanting some better reasons for getting a Mac than most suggested here. It sounds a little too much like "I just want it" - which parents hear all the time.

My suggestion is to show your commitment to the Mac by offering to pay the difference yourself. In the above example of Mini vs Dell, the difference is $240 - do you reckon you could come up with that? I guarantee THAT would impress them!

Good luck!

Trevor
Also a great idea. Thanks!

wildthing1994

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2007
This is what you do.

Ask them how much they want to spend, than you figure out what Mac will fit into the bugget. Step number two: Find a pc that is a similar price, and show them the difference. Three: Don't let your dad talk to that Vista fan boy, if he does than be ready to shoot down vista and tell them how buggy it is and how its a poor copy of OS ten. Step four try to get them to hold off on getting anything until after :apple: releases its next iMac.

dominicansrul93

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2007
I will do the vista fanboy thing but it is going to be hard cause that is my dad's best friend and he is the first person he goes to when he buys most electronics. On the other hand my aunt and uncle have 5 macs for their business and I don't know if my dad will listen to them.But I will try to get him to talk to them.

dominicansrul93

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2007
Good News!

Coincidentally, the computer has broken and will not boot up properly. If it cannot be fixed this could be my chance to get a mac. It is not urgent to have one since my parents can use my laptop. So should I wait for leopard or try to get one now before he gets impatient and goes to the windows fanboy friend he has.:confused:

zblaxberg

Jan 22, 2007
my parents think that besides their high price they are hard to use. they are not very good with computers and barely know how to use them.so the switch could be kinda hard since they have to re-learn the little they know.

people are afraid of change but i took my uncle to the mac store and he fell in love with a mac in 10 minutes and bought a mac mini right there

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2005
Coincidentally, the computer has broken and will not boot up properly. If it cannot be fixed this could be my chance to get a mac. It is not urgent to have one since my parents can use my laptop. So should I wait for leopard or try to get one now before he gets impatient and goes to the windows fanboy friend he has.:confused:

I would get them to buy before they get convinced by that fanboy. You can always get Leopard later, and, quite honestly, I'm only going to buy Leopard if I get software (red: Final Cut Studio 6) that requires it because I don't think a lot of the features are worth it anyway.

ASAP

dominicansrul93

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2007
I would get them to buy before they get convinced by that fanboy. You can always get Leopard later, and, quite honestly, I'm only going to buy Leopard if I get software (red: Final Cut Studio 6) that requires it because I don't think a lot of the features are worth it anyway.

ASAP

Good idea but my second concern is the ram, vram and processor that the new iMac line could have for the same price of the current models. I think that my little brother who uses the family computer would like to play his windows games and I have heard that the new ones will have more resources for the same price and that leopard will include boot camp. I will try to convince him to wait until June. First of all though I need to get him to want a mac before I can get him to wait though. At least my dad is very patient!

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2005
That's a good plan. Convince him, then get him to waiat. If not, well, you'll still be getting a good computer.

Boot Camp is currently in beta, and the gamma version will be in Leopard. Whether Apple will make Tiger users pay $30 or something to keep using it after Leopard's release, I don't know.

jtam

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2006
CA
To the op - I'm a Mom of 2 teen boys and also a teacher. I just want to say that I admire the way you handled some of these posts. You immediately switched your text-talk style to proper English and did so very politely. If I were your mom, I would buy you a Mac!:D By the way, there are many studies that show that the "text-talk" style does not "corrupt" ones usage of grammar, but rather encourages the communication skills and benefits ones writing skills. While I whole-heartedly believe that good grammar and English should be a priority, let's face it - a resume is typed using spell check, as are many job apps these days. It's the ability to communicate effectively one-on-one that is important. That’s what is real! I think the op will go far (hopefully with the help of a new Mac) as he has shown that with his posts here. Oh, and to answer your question....Find out from your parents what they might like to do with a new computer and what they don't like about computers. Chances are, they think things take too long to do on a computer and they might be unaware of some things they can use a computer for....financial uses, recipes, photos, videos, family trees, etc. Do your parents have any hobbies - maybe you can find some things on the computer they can do related to their hobby and then show them on a mac!

The Stig

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2006
On the track
im in skool and my parents wont buy a mac cause they think computers are computers
what should i do and tell them to convince them that macs are different. cause i have my own personal dell inspiron 6000 and my family comp (which is the one im hoping will be replaced with a mac) is an old hp desktop.

plz help cause if not ill have to wait 4 years till i go to college and get one!:(

Drugs.

Or maybe swing a pocket watch in front of them and tell them they are getting sleepy.

One of the two might work.

The Stig

Temujin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2005
Copenhagen
What's skool?
Might I suggest using real spellings of words such as "school" as opposed to skool and using proper capitilization and punctuation to show your parents you are acting like an adult where as they may listen to you a little closer.
Was it really necessary to mention it? Christ guys....

dominicansrul93: I'd tell em about the added safety you gain with macs (no viruses/trojans....), the iLife package and the added focus on usability.

The Stig

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2006
On the track
Was it really necessary to mention it? Christ guys....

dominicansrul93: I'd tell em about the added safety you gain with macs (no viruses/trojans....), the iLife package and the added focus on usability.

I think it was completely necessary to mention. I think he brings up a good point.

The Stig

markfc

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2006
Prestatyn, Wales, UK
my parents think that besides their high price they are hard to use. they are not very good with computers and barely know how to use them.so the switch could be kinda hard since they have to re-learn the little they know.

My 4 year old daughter can use my iMac easily!
She loves it. Your parents will have no problem getting to grips with it.

dominicansrul93

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2007
I have already tried the safety thing before but I am going to try to tell that to my mom since now she pays her bills online and before she did not. This could be what will convince since she is very paranoid of getting personal information stolen! I hope new hardware comes out at NAB I would rather upgrade to leopard later.

dominicansrul93

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2007
I got some good news! I convinced my dad to go to the Apple store! I still don't know when we are are going though

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.