How to Convince Parents:

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by mrcowdude20, Nov 26, 2011.

1. mrcowdude20, Nov 26, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2011

mrcowdude20 macrumors regular

Hi,
    Christmas is coming up and I really want a DSLR. Like a lot... Anyway, I'm having a hard time convincing my parents to buy me one, and my mom said if she did, which is a 25% chance, I would get no other presents. I agreed with that, knowing that I made the percentage rise a little. I would like the Nikon D3100, or the Canon T3, which are some of the cheapest DSLR's out there. My dad on the other hand, doesn't want to spend the money on it because I already have a camera (point-and-shoot type) and can take okay pictures with it. I said I love photography, and I need a better camera. He still hasn't agreed. How can I convince them to buy me one present, the DSLR, for Christmas.

By the way: There is a ton of deals like at Best Buy where you can get a 8GB SD card, travel case thing, and some UV Filter thing. (Yes, I have done countless hours on terms and accessories) And the deals are only $479.99!

Thanks,
    mrcowdude20

PS: sorry for long story, needed to fit it all in

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Wow, sounds like you have the worst parents in the world.

3. maril1111, Nov 26, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2011

maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Why don't you make a deal with them say you will pay 50% and they can pay the other 50% as your christmas present? Or you could ask for money as a christmas present and birthday and maybe find a job and buy the camera of your dreams, you might even find a better deal later or could afford a better camera... for me usually splitting works.

4. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

Ouch! At least the OP wants something creative and artistic and not just a video game system.

5. bocomo macrumors 6502

i would use that in the argument with the parents

also, a dSLR will give you access to manual controls, etc.

would you use it for things like the school paper, etc?

6. flosseR macrumors 6502a

flosseR

+1 on this one... maybe sell some of the gadgets you DONT use to supplement the cash that you want your parents to shell out? Show them that you REALLY want this since you are also trying to provide part of the money..

As a parent myself, i can actually understand your parents. If I don't see any effort from my kids side, why should i make an effort for something they just want?... Now if they were to either sell some of their stuff or do some work to come up with some cash.. not much but enough to show that they made an effort.. i wouldn't have a problem shelling out the rest..

7. mrcowdude20 thread starter macrumors regular

Hey, I payed for all of this stuff. The iPhones are old and don't have a plan.

I would love to do that, but I just bought an iPad 2 and don't have any money.

Okay, will do, however all of my gadgets that I use work, and the ones that I don't use, don't work. Thats the problem. I will try to find some that work. Thanks!

8. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

You should read Oliver Twist. Then you'll at least have someone to identify with.

9. tjsdaname macrumors 6502

I actually convinced my parents to get me a canon t3 this christmas too...

I told my mom if she did not get me one I would slap her..... lol :D

seriously though, I am paying for half of it. and its my only present...

10. mrcowdude20 thread starter macrumors regular

oh my gosh, thts what i might get! i will try to pay for half, and yes, if i get it it would be my only present. no, really, what did you say to her!

11. flosseR macrumors 6502a

flosseR

So you are trying to tell me you are using BOTH of your iPod touches and BOTH of our iPhones :)? sell the older models and you might gets couple of hundred bucks for them.. which is a good 33% of the new camera...

Don't get me wrong I am a gadget freak myself and I now it's hard to get rid of stuff but IMHO one iPhone and one iPod touch should be sufficient for you.. considering you are still a student (i guess??) and living at home?
    just my 2 c ..

12. mrcowdude20 thread starter macrumors regular

One iPod is for me, one broke down, trying to fix, then will sell the one that currently works. My brother will soon get one iPhone (I think) so I can't sell them just yet.

13. tjsdaname macrumors 6502

I just told her thats what I want, and that I would pay for half of it and it would be my only present....

last year I did not ask for anything so I think thats why she agreed so easily lol

14. snberk103 macrumors 603

Start taking awesome photos with your phone ... And yes it can be done, with practice and dedication. The trick is not to convince your parents what you can't do, but to show them how much more you could do.

Oh, and get job, and offer to partially match any contributions from them. I'm an adult now, but I understood what parents wanted when I was young. They, mostly, want you todo well... But you have to prove to them that you want to do well too.

Luck

15. spencers macrumors 68020

spencers

"some UV filter thing?"

So you're asking for a piece of equipment that you have absolutely no idea how it works? If I were your parents I'd say with 100% the answer is no.

At least show some effort as to why you want the damn thing.

16. mrcowdude20 thread starter macrumors regular

hey, i did my research. i found out how it works, and all of that. i have shown effort as i have spent over weeks of doing research on DSLR's. i have compared almost all nikon and canon cameras, and when i had no background info on what the stuff meant. please, calm down.

17. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

I did a lot of on-line research before I got my first dslr, too. I settled on a Pentax because it seemed to be best for me, good reviews and all that. Then I went into my local camera shop and handled everything they had in stock. Several Canon and Pentax models and a Nikon, too. I walked out with a used Canon XSi which was my number three choice to start out with. I couldn't be happier with it. A camera is like a tool you will use day in and day out. It has to fit your hand. Shop local.

Dale

18. avro707 macrumors 6502a

When you think you know how it works, I'll suggest that is the point where you pick one up and then you'll find that you probably don't know a lot about it. That knowledge is gained over time. Even when you think you have found the limits of your camera, you'll find some way to push it further.

Make sure you test the cameras you like, and have someone there who can show you how they work properly. Perhaps you know someone who is already a very experienced photographer who can come along with you to sort fact from fiction?

I've sort of done that a few times as an unsuspecting customer in a city camera store when the sales-person has mentioned to another customer, this guy here knows Nikon well - he can give you some tips, ask him about the last lens he got (gee, thanks guys!). :cool: That's okay though.

Personally, when I got my first DSLR, I was looking at a Canon 40D, and walked out of the store with a Nikon D80. I was convinced the 40D would be best because I'd used 35mm EOS cameras before. But when I tried them, I realised the 40D was not the right fit for me. The D80 was easier to operate and nicer to hold. That's important as well.

19. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

perhaps looking into a mom and pop store for a used camera?
    If your new into photography check out some of jared polin' videos on youtube (fro knows photo) its very simple and his video's are somewhat entertaining.

20. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Its amazing how some people just comment to be nasty on here.

Like others said, he's asking for a creative tool not a video game system.

To put things in perspective, a co-worker of mine had a daughter who wanted a digital SLR for Christmas really bad. He decided to get it for her. She know makes a great living shooting events because that SLR got her to where she could learn about photography cheaply and efficiently. Once she got the SLR she started shooting for the school newspaper, entering photo competitions, and eventually winning.

I can understand parents saying know to a game system, or a tv or something, but creative tools should always be given special attention by parents. You never know where it may take your childrens skills.

21. flosseR macrumors 6502a

flosseR

Why? There are plenty of people making good money playing games...
    Your argument is based on a single person who is making money because she got a DSLR. Ok fair enough, please allow me to present a different perspective.

Perhaps the parents cannot afford the DSLR? Or more likely even, they think there are enough gadgets in the house? Or even a very plausible one (OP I don't mean to badger you on this, this is generically speaking): Assume this: Maybe the kid has had plenty of "creative" or "sporty" moments in the past and the parents are just tired of sinking money into hobbies that get forgotten after a couple of months?

You are right about the creative freedom, I give you that and Kids should not be hindered in that BUT that does not mean that parents should just buy whatever the kid wants. If he or she wants to be creative, let him or her ALSO make an effort.
    We do not know the background of the OP or your friends daughter, so calling people nasty simply because they might have a different perspective is a bit far out, don't you agree?

22. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I would ask yourself if this is something you "want" vs. something you can identify a valid "need" for. Unless you're a professional photographer, you can get by with a point-and-shoot. $500 plus lenses in the future is a lot to invest in a hobby.

What will probably end up happening is you'll get the DSLR, use it for 6 months, then shelve it when it becomes a pain to carry around on trips, to parties, etc.

23. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Get a used (or refurb) T1i. That would be perfectly acceptable as a starter DSLR and could save a lot of money.

24. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

Sell some of your things, get a job, work for the money, and buy it yourself. Problem solved. Why do you need ideas from complete strangers on how to compel your parents to give you stuff you want?

25. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

Used is another option.

Buy a D80 or D90 and 50mm lens

http://www.adorama.com/US 464330.html

Or Canon 20D or 40D

I agree with your parents. The P&S cameras are close to the entry level cameras. Until you master the P&S then you can move on.

This is how I convince myself. If it's something you will spend a lot of time using then buy it. Make sure you research the product. Find books that will help you navigate better.

http://www.amazon.com/Understanding...9390/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322443838&sr=8-1