Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mowgli21

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 30, 2010
UK
Hi guys

I need to convince the other half getting an ipad is a good idea. I already have an iMac and iPhone her question Is what else does the ipad give me? So far I've got:
portable
books
taking notes for work with stylus
editing documents with iworks
bigger Internet than iPhone when out

what I need is more points lol any suggestions or points?

Thanks

ReallyOldGuy

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2010
Depends on how far from an Apple Store you are or do you have a friend that has an iPad? I was actually embarrassed when SJ said the iPad was "magical" and then i got mine. If she does ANYTHING currently on a computer let her play with it for 15 minutes....then you will have the same problem i had...you will need to buy two. :D I am really serious...dont try to justify, just put one in her hands.....

Doju

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
Really, it's a hard device to explain, but I'll try. In reality, it is a luxury device between a laptop and iPhone, but boy is it nice.

I'd just say 99% of people just use computers to surf, listen to music, watch some video, email and Facebook. It does this brilliantly.

Mowgli21

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 30, 2010
UK
I'm trying to sell it as instead of spending £1000 on a MacBook I'm spending half that on the ipad lol cheers for the quick responses guys.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
You need to start planning some lovely weekend trips to the country. There you could use your iPad 3G to find lovely new restaurants to take your better half to, use the iPad 3G GPS to navigate around and find details about all kind of local events and fairs that she might find interesting, etc. And while staying overnight in a hotel, you can use it to watch a movie, check email, etc. This shouldn't be too hard of a sell. :)

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley
Depends on how far from an Apple Store you are or do you have a friend that has an iPad? I was actually embarrassed when SJ said the iPad was "magical" and then i got mine. If she does ANYTHING currently on a computer let her play with it for 15 minutes....then you will have the same problem i had...you will need to buy two. :D I am really serious...dont try to justify, just put one in her hands.....
What he said.
'Hands-on', is "the best" way to sell the device, to those who doubt. :D

Mowgli21

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 30, 2010
UK
You need to start planning some lovely weekend trips to the country. There you could use your iPad 3G to find lovely new restaurants to take your better half to, use the iPad 3G GPS to navigate around and find details about all kind of local events and fairs that she might find interesting, etc. And while staying overnight in a hotel, you can use it to watch a movie, check email, etc. This shouldn't be too hard of a sell. :)

Haha I'm loving this idea!

bowlerman625

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Chicago, IL area
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

I agree. Get her to an Apple store to road test one. That should do it. My wife wanted nothing to do with one until she played on one at a store. That won her over!

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro

This was my situation pretty much verbatim.

I got my 3G on 30 April 2010. My wife got home from work around 4:30. By 5pm, we were on our way to the nearest Apple Store in Tyson's Corner, VA. at 6PM, we had a second 3G 64GB iPad in hand.

It has totally replaced my wife's Kindle DX. She is now debating whether she wants to sell it or keep it.

sanPietro98

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2008
28.416834,-81.581214
Tell her it's a more energy efficient method of surfing the web as compared to your iMac/MacBook.

Believe me, once you get the iPad, you'll have to fight your "other half" just to give it back.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
You can either buy a set of balls or, more likely, a pair of shoes for her. :D

iPadpam

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2010
If your situation is anything like mine, your going to go from explaining why you want one, to purchasing a 2nd one so your wife will leave yours alone!! Lol my wife uses her iPad more than I do and she only uses it after work in the evenings. I can use mine all day!

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
One of my wife's friends got a netbook a few months ago and my wife decided she needed one too. I convinced her to hold off and got her the iPad a few weeks ago. She couldn't be happier.

JediZenMaster

Suspended
Mar 28, 2010
Seattle
Why do you need to? I'm assuming you work so if you earn your own money you shouldn't have to justify any purchase you make to anyone :p

88Keys

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2007
Don't convince, just do. Get her something too, but it has to be something she's been wanting for a while, something she'll absolutely adore. This will alleviate some of the anger she'll get over you getting an iPad without her "permission".

**Disclaimer**
I'm in my early 20's and am not married, what I say may indeed be bad advice.
Take what you will and apply it in your own way.

dborja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
Northern California

What he said.
'Hands-on', is "the best" way to sell the device, to those who doubt. :D

This is the right strategy.

Haha I'm loving this idea!

+1 to all. It was unintentional in my case. I planned to get one later for app development but, when she saw it in the store, she wanted one right away. So, we got one. When she had set it up the way she wanted it, she told me to keep my paws away from it and app testing on it was out of the question. So....I ended up getting another one.:)

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Just tell her that you're not putting out until you get it.

My wife was skeptical about it at first, but now she goes for the iPad instead of the MBP when she's chilling on the couch.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
JediZenMaster said:
Why do you need to? I'm assuming you work so if you earn your own money you shouldn't have to justify any purchase you make to anyone :p

I can't recall ever getting anyone's permission to buy anything with my own money . . . But to each his/her own :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.