Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gib

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2010
Tis easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission.

I'm just sayin.

... as well as paying a restocking fee, sleeping on the couch for a week, and not getting any for a month???

I got permission... My wife knows I'm just a boy with expensive toys, so she was expecting me to want one. I was just too hesitant to bring it up. She caved in less than 24 hours, and even let my upgrade to the 32GB when the Apple Store was out of stock on the 16GB. What will it hurt to ask?

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
Just buy it and tell her to go make you a sandwich.

I kid, I kid.

It is really something that is hard to convince them of. I was not going to buy one until I actually saw it and used one.

nasa25

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2010
canada
... as well as paying a restocking fee, sleeping on the couch for a week, and not getting any for a month???

I got permission... My wife knows I'm just a boy with expensive toys, so she was expecting me to want one. I was just too hesitant to bring it up. She caved in less than 24 hours, and even let my upgrade to the 32GB when the Apple Store was out of stock on the 16GB. What will it hurt to ask?

I told my gf on April 2nd (basically was forced to tell her because she wanted me to pick her up from work at the same time that I would have been picking up the iPad. She was upset for 30 min then wanted to come cross border shopping with me.

And the couch thing would work. Only chance you would have to test drive your new iPad. Turn a negative into a positive. "I'm on the couch tonight? Damn....see you tomorrow morning"

As for not getting any....same night. Millenium hotels next to walden galleria in buffalo.

That's just how I roll.

vini-vidi-vici

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2010
Not that I'm a marriage expert... but heck this is the internet - everyone's an expert on everything...

Even if you're on a tight budget, your relationship will be a lot happier if you each have some amount of "personal money" that you can buy whatever you want with - no questions asked. This goes beyond just an iPad... if you have to clear every similar purchase with your SO, it's just not a good way to have long-term happiness.

Unless you're so "on the same wavelength about everything" that you read each other's thoughts... but that's clearly not the case here.

ngenerator

macrumors 68000
May 12, 2009
USG Ishimura
I can relate to all the "don't worry about it, just get it" comments. My fiance hates the iPad for some stupid reason, therefore I just keep it in my bag and don't tell her. It's not worth the argument of telling her, and I'm really not worrying about her freaking since she doesn't snoop around the house.

My first attempt at trying to get her to let me keep it was "I can sell it and pay for the DJ (for the wedding)". I've bought and sold two, and the profits more than pay for the DJ, so I just got another since it's such an amazing device.;)

antiprotest

macrumors 68040
Apr 19, 2010
I can relate to all the "don't worry about it, just get it" comments. My fiance hates the iPad for some stupid reason, therefore I just keep it in my bag and don't tell her. It's not worth the argument of telling her, and I'm really not worrying about her freaking since she doesn't snoop around the house.

My first attempt at trying to get her to let me keep it was "I can sell it and pay for the DJ (for the wedding)". I've bought and sold two, and the profits more than pay for the DJ, so I just got another since it's such an amazing device.;)

I can understand that some people do not like the iPad enough to buy it for themselves, but it is strange that some people positively hate it, so that they don't even want other people to have it, or for it to exist in the world at all. She may not be like this, but some people are.

How about the iPhone? Does she hate the iPhone?

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
ngenerator said:

Who bought the iPad? Just curious.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
vini-vidi-vici said:
Not that I'm a marriage expert... but heck this is the internet - everyone's an expert on everything...

Even if you're on a tight budget, your relationship will be a lot happier if you each have some amount of "personal money" that you can buy whatever you want with - no questions asked. This goes beyond just an iPad... if you have to clear every similar purchase with your SO, it's just not a good way to have long-term happiness.

Unless you're so "on the same wavelength about everything" that you read each other's thoughts... but that's clearly not the case here.

Sounds like good, sound advice ;)

ngenerator

macrumors 68000
May 12, 2009
USG Ishimura
I can understand that some people do not like the iPad enough to buy it for themselves, but it is strange that some people positively hate it, so that they don't even want other people to have it, or for it to exist in the world at all. She may not be like this, but some people are.

How about the iPhone? Does she hate the iPhone?

Nope, in fact I can't count on only two hands how much the iPhone has saved our asses in situations where we needed to look up an address, phone number, etc. She has an iPhone that doesn't have a sim in it, so she uses it like an iPod Touch, and she likes the interface, so I don't get what the big deal is. I've just stopped caring

Who bought the iPad? Just curious.

Who do you think? ;) I've already got her a pair of earrings and a necklace that matches, I would have thought the rock on her finger would get her off my ass, but I was wrong..

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Tis easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission.

I'm just sayin.

This. My wife is pretty much tech ignorant and really could care less so trying to convince her would've just been an effort in futility. When I got mine, she jut rolled her eyes and moved on.

antiprotest

macrumors 68040
Apr 19, 2010
This. My wife is pretty much tech ignorant and really could care less so trying to convince her would've just been an effort in futility. When I got mine, she jut rolled her eyes and moved on.

he he. I know the eye roll.

ctakim

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2006
My wife thought it was an extravagance and she saw no use for it. Then I brought it home. 24 hours later I could barely pry it out of her hands to use it myself. Don't even mention about my daughters wanting to use it. The solution? Bought her one of her own for Mother's day!!

Living in a happy home!:)

antiprotest

macrumors 68040
Apr 19, 2010
My wife thought it was an extravagance and she saw no use for it. Then I brought it home. 24 hours later I could barely pry it out of her hands to use it myself. Don't even mention about my daughters wanting to use it. The solution? Bought her one of her own for Mother's day!!

Living in a happy home!:)

Good.

Batt

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2007
Syracuse, NY
My wife is a complete Luddite. I dragged her kicking and screaming into the late twentieth century (CDs) and again into the twenty- first century (cable, DVRs, MBP and email). She was happy about none of those things until she used them. I'll have to pry her cold, dead fingers from her DVR.
I told her I was going to buy an iPad and she ignored the subject until April 30th when I brought it home. Price was the first question and then she got over it. Now I'm trying to get her to use it little by little and get her used to the idea. Then at some point I'll end up buying her one. It worked for iPods - she's on her third one now.

ScottFitz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2007
Hi guys

I need to convince the other half getting an ipad is a good idea. I already have an iMac and iPhone her question Is what else does the ipad give me? So far I've got:
portable
books
taking notes for work with stylus
editing documents with iworks
bigger Internet than iPhone when out

what I need is more points lol any suggestions or points?

Thanks

Here's why I used to make similar mistakes on this type stuff.

My wife and I make good money but we have a 200 dollar rule. If either of us is spending more than that we inform the other. Sometimes one of us provides a "sanity check".

In the case of my new iPad. I told her what I was going to spend. She said, why do you need that, you have an iPhone and a MacBook air. I told her I didn't need it. I wanted it and it was a toy. No bull crap, no justifications, nothing she would attempt to rip up my "logic".

She laughed and shut up. Then went and made me a sammich! :D

(oh yeah, we've been married 20-something years. Not sure how many unless I take my oldest kid and add six months)

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
Does she justify?

Does she have to justify every purchase she makes? Do you earn a paycheck? I started prepping my wife months before it came out. Every time she bought another handbag or pair of sandals or boots or new cardigan, I would repeat "I don't want to hear any crap when I get my iPad." on April 30, I was in line for my 64 gig 3 g. Fortunately she doesn't know 64 gig from 3 g from wifi. She just knows I bought an iPad and i didn't hear a peep.

ScottFitz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2007
Blorzoga said:
Does she have to justify every purchase she makes? Do you earn a paycheck? I started prepping my wife months before it came out. Every time she bought another handbag or pair of sandals or boots or new cardigan, I would repeat "I don't want to hear any crap when I get my iPad." on April 30, I was in line for my 64 gig 3 g. Fortunately she doesn't know 64 gig from 3 g from wifi. She just knows I bought an iPad and i didn't hear a peep.

Yep, it's a 2 way street. All those little "essentials" add up quickly. GOod job being a man. Add 3 points to your man card. 4 pts if she made you a sammich when you brought it home.

Is it me or has the average American male become a total puss-cake lately?

Every guy should have to watch Gran Torino in 8th grade. Followed up by a john Wayne western and a classic WW2 movie.:cool:

The big problem is how many boys grow up these last 20 or 30 years with no dad or male figure in the house. Toughen your sons up all you dads out there. They'll thank you when they're older. :D

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
Tell her u saved up the money, because if ur dipping Ito the budget then she will never go for it. And if u have children say u bought yourself a fathers day present lol

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
Our anniversary was in March and I spent $2K on a ring for her. So she couldn't say much when I bought an iPad later. Not that I wouldn't have bought it anyway. Some of you guys definitely need to grow a scrotum. Especially the guy who said that his wife "let him upgrade to 32GB". Come on people, you're giving the male race a bad name.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.