Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

How to Correctly Measure Your Wrist for Apple Watch Solo Loop Bands

Phone Junky

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest
I don't know. I'm not in other people's shoes, but for me, the printed out tool worked great. Wrapping it around my wrist, where I wear my watch, it shows a size 10. This is not tight or loose, it's just wrapped around up against the skin.

I saw a charcoal braided loop in the marketplace for a good price so I took the chance. It fits perfectly. So based on my own experience, I don't see how people are needing bands that are 2 sizes smaller than they measured. The only way would be if they want a tighter fit than normal.
8155871C-DAE8-44FF-A2EF-7A706446DF0D_1_201_a.jpg E46A030C-BD90-4FBC-9CAF-1902C1075EF3_1_201_a.jpg B071F40D-8DDA-4ADA-804A-54F4D3E96263_1_201_a.jpg AF961FDE-8C98-4B5B-BCEB-7B45193038B9_1_201_a.jpg 738EA15A-7727-4AA6-89E8-5FB414788699_1_201_a.jpg

Comment

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I don't know. I'm not in other people's shoes, but for me, the printed out tool worked great. Wrapping it around my wrist, where I wear my watch, it shows a size 10. This is not tight or loose, it's just wrapped around up against the skin.

I saw a charcoal braided loop in the marketplace for a good price so I took the chance. It fits perfectly. So based on my own experience, I don't see how people are needing bands that are 2 sizes smaller than they measured. The only way would be if they want a tighter fit than normal.
View attachment 960171 View attachment 960172 View attachment 960174 View attachment 960175 View attachment 960176
The fit for the braid may not be the same as the Solo loop, as they are too different materials. Many who had the right fit for the solo found the same size was a little large with the braid.

Comment

Phone Junky

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest
The fit for the braid may not be the same as the Solo loop, as they are too different materials. Many who had the right fit for the solo found the same size was a little large with the braid.
Which makes it even stranger. Based on what you wrote, the same size Solo loop would either be too tight for me, or I would need to get a size 11. I don't see anyone saying they needed to get a bigger size than they measured.

Reactions: ozarkcanoer
Comment

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Which makes it even stranger. Based on what you wrote, the same size Solo loop would either be too tight for me, or I would need to get a size 11. I don't see anyone saying they needed to get a bigger size than they measured.
I don’t know. I am just sharing what I have seen reported on here. Lol I am going to the Apple Store today and will look at the Braided loop and see if it corresponds to the same size in the Solo.

Comment

ozarkcanoer

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
I bought a Watch 6 with one solo silicone band and one woven band using the sizing template for a 7 of both bands.
Found the silicone band to fit but tightly, the woven band fits more comfortably and is stretchy-er than the solid silicone band. My wrist gets sweaty wearing the solid band. Woven band is more comfortable.
Keeping both bands.

Comment

sirdir

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2006
Somethings seems to be wrong. I have the sport band in the innermost hole. That would translate to a 4. But when I use the strip that gives me more or less an 8!

Comment

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Remember when watchbands were something you gave absolutely no thought or consideration? That was August, and every month before that.

Anyway, are people afraid their bands will eventually stretch out? I’d hate for the watch to be slightly loose around my wrist, although I think some people actually like that.

Comment

G4DPII

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015
If you need a degree to understand those instructions then it’s not apple who’s lost the plot.

I don't need to understand them. I wouldn't touch any of Apples sad little penis enhancement devices if my life depended on it.

Comment

paulypants

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
Buffalo, NY
I honestly cannot understand what the problem is with some people have measuring their wrists. When ordering my Watch with the braided solo loop (my first ever Apple Watch), I printed their instructions at 100%, cut out the template, carefully measured and got about a 9.5, so I rounded down to 9 and ordered. Then after, I saw all this controversy. I printed the updated instructions and measured again, still got a 9. Unsure if this would be accurate because so many were having issues, I drove to an Apple Store snd tried on some bands there. First tried an 8 which was a little too tight, then put on the 9 and it was perfectly nice and snug. Exactly the size that tool indicated and I had ordered. So...how is it that the tool is right on for some people and so off for others? Other than simple 'user error' when following the instructions I can't think of a reason why.

Reactions: Phone Junky
Comment

MozMan68

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2010
Right here...
I honestly cannot understand what the problem is with some people have measuring their wrists. When ordering my Watch with the braided solo loop (my first ever Apple Watch), I printed their instructions at 100%, cut out the template, carefully measured and got about a 9.5, so I rounded down to 9 and ordered. Then after, I saw all this controversy. I printed the updated instructions and measured again, still got a 9. Unsure if this would be accurate because so many were having issues, I drove to an Apple Store snd tried on some bands there. First tried an 8 which was a little too tight, then put on the 9 and it was perfectly nice and snug. Exactly the size that tool indicated and I had ordered. So...how is it that the tool is right on for some people and so off for others? Other than simple 'user error' when following the instructions I can't think of a reason why.

So, i guess you could imagine someone measuring exactly as a 9 and ordering a 9 might have one that’s a little loose??

Comment

Vege-Taco

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2010
Arizona
It really doesn't matter how many methods there are to measure, the fact remains that Apple doesn't make a band large enough to fit my wrist.

Comment

compwiz1202

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2010
Exactly! If I could take my loose fitting band, in it's nice little box sleeve, and just swap it..genius, customer service at it's finest!!!

TOP TIP: If you wrap tightly and are on the line or only just inside the larger size, order the one below.
The other stupid CS move is why don't they send the replacement FIRST? What are you going to wear your watch with? Just hold the money in case the old one is never returned and charge it after so many days.

Comment

nitramluap

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2015
Measured exactly 7. Ordered a 7 solo loop. Way too loose. Back in the box to send back to Apple. Not even going to bother with a replacement and also cancelled the braided loop I ordered. What a waste of time, money & effort.

This is definitely a ‘need to try in store’ purchase.

Comment

Chow666

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2020
Astoria, OR
The sizing paper tape is crap. My size 7 solo watch band turned out to be too loose. Just got off the phone with Apple “customer” support (three people later) and final story is that I have to return the band first and in approximately ten days, a new band should arrive. Of course that means that the watch is useless without a band. Apple’s customer service is worse than Amazon. Hmmm, maybe I’ll order a new band from Amazon and it’ll be here in two days! 🤣

Reactions: MozMan68
Comment

craig1410

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2007
Scotland
Just to add my experience, I got the braided solo loop size 7 based on the original measuring instructions on launch day which said to make the tape snug but not too tight. I also checked it at the time with a tailor's measuring tape and it was 17cm because the website at that time only accepted whole centimetres and again said snug but not tight.

When I first put the band on it definitely felt looser than I was used to with my old sport loop but I decided to see if I got used to it over a few days. Now almost 2 weeks in and having noticed it is too loose sometimes to even read my heart rate on a walk, I decided to call Apple to request a swap. I also re-measured my wrist with the updated paper tool and with the measuring tape but this time making it tighter. Doing that, my measurement comes out as right on the line between 6 and 7 and ~16.5cm. So that suggests a 6 is the right size.

When I called Apple UK Customer Service (0800 048 0408) I got straight through to a guy called Angelo who knew exactly what to do and was very helpful and efficient at processing the swap. He asked me to insert a two fingers from my other hand inside the strap to see if this is too tight or just right. For me, two fingers was too tight and one finger was just right so he confirmed I only needed to go down a single size to a 6. He then confirmed the process is to send out a new band but first they need to receive back the old one so he asked if I had another band I could use in the meantime. I said no and he then said they would send out either a Cactus Green or Surf Blue sport band free of charge which I can use until the replacement band arrives and I can also keep it afterwards. I chose the Blue one as I have the blue watch body. Unfortunately the replacement braided loop is backordered and may take around a month to arrive. Not ideal but I essentially got a £49 sport band free of charge for the inconvenience so I'm quite happy.

I should get an email in the next 48 hours explaining the exact process and when the size 7 band will be collected. The temporary sport band should be getting dispatched immediately so I should have that before the other one is collected.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Usernotmaker

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2020
Wow, quite an article Tim!

For what it's worth, here's my experience so far.

Decided to finally buy a Watch and really like the simplicity of the solo loop.
Measured my wrist at home with printed tool as an 8.
Went to local Apple Store to ask some questions and for a fitting.
Tried both 44 and 40 Watches with 7 and 8 solo loops.
Decided to buy a 44 with an 8 but out of stock.
Was advised to come back in a few days.
Went back and asked to try again before buying - a 44 with a 7 and an 8.
Decided the 8 was too loose so asked to buy 44 and 7 but once again out of stock.

My take:
- I was measuring too loosely with the printed tool.
- For me the solo loop feels super comfortable. I never had great experiences with traditional watch buckles so I'm prepared to give it a try. Will see how much it loosens with use once I can get one!

One suspicion after the fittings. Could the result be different for the different watch sizes, in other words might tailored printed tools be required?!

One other thing. Are other physical retail outlets going to sell these loops? Haven't seen any yet...

So, a shortish update...

Tuesday late afternoon spotted that my combination was being restocked in some Stores and was able to order for pick up the following day in a small Store in a suburban mall.

Great service at lunchtime, started set up the same evening. Had forgotten that OS14 was required on phone before pairing.

Anyway, to focus on the Solo Loop. Started panicking when found that fit was a bit loose. Could get one and a bit fingers underneath!

However yesterday and today it fits fine. Perhaps I was dehydrated or something on Wednesday evening? Or the loops adapt to fit your body?!

Initial verdict. Amazingly comfortable, pretty much don't notice that I'm even wearing the Watch. If this doesn't change in the 14 day return window, might be tempted to get a second Loop in a contrasting colour!

Last edited:
Comment

craig1410

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2007
Scotland
Just to add my experience, I got the braided solo loop size 7 based on the original measuring instructions on launch day which said to make the tape snug but not too tight. I also checked it at the time with a tailor's measuring tape and it was 17cm because the website at that time only accepted whole centimetres and again said snug but not tight.

When I first put the band on it definitely felt looser than I was used to with my old sport loop but I decided to see if I got used to it over a few days. Now almost 2 weeks in and having noticed it is too loose sometimes to even read my heart rate on a walk, I decided to call Apple to request a swap. I also re-measured my wrist with the updated paper tool and with the measuring tape but this time making it tighter. Doing that, my measurement comes out as right on the line between 6 and 7 and ~16.5cm. So that suggests a 6 is the right size.

When I called Apple UK Customer Service (0800 048 0408) I got straight through to a guy called Angelo who knew exactly what to do and was very helpful and efficient at processing the swap. He asked me to insert a two fingers from my other hand inside the strap to see if this is too tight or just right. For me, two fingers was too tight and one finger was just right so he confirmed I only needed to go down a single size to a 6. He then confirmed the process is to send out a new band but first they need to receive back the old one so he asked if I had another band I could use in the meantime. I said no and he then said they would send out either a Cactus Green or Surf Blue sport band free of charge which I can use until the replacement band arrives and I can also keep it afterwards. I chose the Blue one as I have the blue watch body. Unfortunately the replacement braided loop is backordered and may take around a month to arrive. Not ideal but I essentially got a £49 sport band free of charge for the inconvenience so I'm quite happy.

I should get an email in the next 48 hours explaining the exact process and when the size 7 band will be collected. The temporary sport band should be getting dispatched immediately so I should have that before the other one is collected.

Hope this helps.

Just to close out my experience - my size 6 braided loop arrived on Oct 14th even though my initial order confirmation said 6-8 weeks delivery! The complimentary sports band didn't arrive before UPS came to uplift the size 7 band but I was able to just take the label from UPS and send it back a few days later once the sport band had arrived. I forgot how much fun it is to have the hairs on my wrist plucked out every time I tuck the tail of the sport band in! :(
Anyway, most important the size 6 braided loop fits perfectly and is the most comfortable strap I've ever owned. I honestly can barely feel if I have a watch on and yet it records my workouts without missing a beat.

So in summary, it was unfortunate that I had to go through this process but Apple managed to sort out the issue with minimal inconvenience to me and I got a free band worth £49 in the process. Can't complain! 👍

Comment

Usernotmaker

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2020
So, a shortish update...

Tuesday late afternoon spotted that my combination was being restocked in some Stores and was able to order for pick up the following day in a small Store in a suburban mall.

Great service at lunchtime, started set up the same evening. Had forgotten that OS14 was required on phone before pairing.

Anyway, to focus on the Solo Loop. Started panicking when found that fit was a bit loose. Could get one and a bit fingers underneath!

However yesterday and today it fits fine. Perhaps I was dehydrated or something on Wednesday evening? Or the loops adapt to fit your body?!

Initial verdict. Amazingly comfortable, pretty much don't notice that I'm even wearing the Watch. If this doesn't change in the 14 day return window, might be tempted to get a second Loop in a contrasting colour!

Back to for a final update after getting an alert about Craig's post just now...

Still so happy with my colour matched solo loop that I've bought a second, contrasting one - work and play!

Again felt a bit loose on first wearing but within a couple of hours became a perfect fit - body heat?!

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.