How to cure a sweet tooth

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by TSE, Aug 31, 2012.

1. TSE macrumors 68030

How does one cure a sweet tooth?

It seems like once a day I need to go on a sugar binge in a span of 15 minutes. It's tough because I can't just simply stop buying sugary snacks as I have 3 roommates who all buy that kind of stuff.

I'm not out of shape, I just want to get in better shape.

2. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

Find a healthier replacement for the sugar. Once you find a few things you crave more, you will be able to give them up easier.

3. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

I've been trying to do something like this. It just seems whenever I sit down and watch a little TV with the roomies they all pull out snacks and I HAVE to have some. It really sucks.

I held up well for about a week then caved in and went back to my old habits.

4. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Drink more water throughout the day.
    Just tell them you don't want anything.
    Put a fruit bowl on the coffee table and keep it full of fruit. You're most likely to eat whatever is around you so make sure the choices are healthier.

5. AbyssImpact macrumors 6502a

Too costly after you get addicted to it and have to smoke 5 packs a day like regular smokers I know.

6. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Ah, jokes are just lost on some people. Even with a wink.

7. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I'd say go with fruit. Freeze dried ones are really good. But get ones without sugar since fruit have natural sugars in it.

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Fruit is always good. As a post-dinner snack, I cut up some fresh strawberries that I purchased from the market.

They really go well with cake.

9. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

Sugar is bad for you. If you quit all sugar for a week, you will start to lose the craving for it. Then you can moderate your intake. A little is ok, but most Americans eat a third of a pound of sugar a day. That helps explain why we seek so many "energy" supplements to make it through the day.

10. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

It's very simple. Stop eating sugar. Argue all you want, but that's the answer.

11. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Buy a small bag of powdered sugar and snort a line each time you have a craving. You'll stop having cravings. :p

12. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

I won't argue. If you allow fresh fruit, it's easy.

For me, sugar is like me and alcohol before I quit drinking. Start, can't stop. But if I lay off cookies, cakes, pies, ice cream, sweet bread and the like for a week or two, it starts getting easier.

13. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

I feel ya. This is the very reason why I will never start smoking and why I will never break my rule of drinking at most once a week and never on a school night. I know I will get hooked and it's hard to get rid of an addiction.

14. MattAtlanta macrumors member

It's ok to have a sweet tooth. The answer is in your OP.... as you mentioned you'd like to get into better shape.

Just start increasing your exercise level, and you will be able to reward yourself with delicious snacks.

15. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

I weightlift 3-4 times a week. Besides that I have university and design studio courses which are ridiculously rigorous to do, and I want to have a little fun on the weekends.

I am not in bad shape at all. In fact I am in good shape. I want to go from good to great, basically.

16. Malsi macrumors regular

Buy some Dates. Just as sweet as candy and cures any sweet tooth you can have.

17. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

Very high sugar content though (yes, I'm aware of the numerous benefits, and the fact that it isn't the same kind of sugar found in candy).

18. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

You got the idea. LOL!

19. Orange Crane macrumors 6502

Is this accurate? I'm not arguing, as I realize live in a much healthier than average part of America, but that sounds absurd. Which isn't to say that it's not true, just surprising to me.

To address the OP. I'm a huge fan of snacking on frozen fruit after dinner. Presently is blackberries and peach slices.

20. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

Hard to believe, but true:
    "Stephan wrote up his findings at Whole Health Source and included the following chart, which shows per-capita US sugar consumption over the past two centuries.

As the chart shows, we're now eating about 100 pounds a year apiece."

http://articles.businessinsider.com/2012-02-19/news/31076374_1_chart-capita-american

21. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

Update:

I have cut out all Soda for weeks and will occasionally snack on like a rice krispie treat or Caprisun pouch in between meals, but I have dramatically cut down my sugar consumption.

Right now I'm 6'0 195 pounds, not sure on Body Fat %.

This is where my body is at right now. Visible stretchmarks under the arm because I gained like 35 pounds in a span of 2.5 months last year when I started weight lifting, gallon of milk a day diet with a lot of whey protein... solid amount of muscle, just fat covering it which I want to lose.

Just curious what you guys would classify my body shape as and how much weight I should look to lose. Any more tips would be appreciated, also.

Attached Files:

22. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Sugar is sugar - All carbohydrates turn into the same sugar in the blood anyway.

23. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Body shape: normal.

Weight to lose (or gain): zero.

24. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue