How to cut/move on an Apple?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Imola Ghost, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Imola Ghost macrumors 65816

every time I right click on my 13" MBP the only option I see is to copy, when all I want to do it cut or move the file.

2. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

Drag n' Drop.

Cut is a rather dangerous tool.

3. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

4. pit29 macrumors 6502a

pit29

- which doesn't exist in Finder for files.

5. Punker macrumors member

I changed my Finder for PathFinder and im loving it. (http://www.cocoatech.com/ )
    By default, there is a lot of stuff not everybody needs. Just uncheck the functionalities you dont need.

And now you can CMD+C (copy) CM+V (paste) AND CMD+X (cut, the real deal)

Cheers

6. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I got rather annoyed with Pathfinder when it offered me an upgrade when I hadn't used it for many months. I accepted the upgrade and it said I no longer had a license. I contacted the developer and while they took care of my problem, their attitude was that this was somehow my fault. If you use Pathfinder, do NOT accept upgrades until you understand how it will affect your license.

As for cut, I routinely copy / paste / then move to trash the old file. It's an extra step but it is "safer". On a windows box if you cut, the file isn't really touched until the paste is finished. Perhaps on OSX this isn't the case. Underneath all files are inodes. One way to implement cut is to "unlink" the inode after putting the file on the clipboard. This is indeed dangerous. Hopefully Pathfinder uses another method and creates a new link before unlinking the old one, regardless what it shows in the gui. I've gotten used to Finder and consider Pathfinder to be one of those training wheels that I leaned on before I got used to the "Mac way".

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you're looking for cut/paste for files then path finder is an excellent tool. I've been using this and I've been very pleased with the product.

8. mstrze macrumors 68000

What is the benefit to cutting a file rather than just dragging it to it's new location?

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

That's a common Mac response. There's nothing dangerous about cut. If you don't do the paste after the cut, then the file(s) stay put.

Anyway, there are a number of ways to get cut in the finder. See my post in a thread about cut and paste options:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=9225498&postcount=28

There is also software that allows you to automatically have two folder be put side by side so that you can drag the files to the folder you want. I forget the name and am not on my Mac at the moment.

10. jgbhardy macrumors 6502

jgbhardy

Cut does exist in OS X throughout Finder it is only in the form of drag and drop though.
    Like others have said there are other threads on this already but to save you some time.

When you go to drag a file from one folder to another and a small green + sign appears it will copy it, unless you hold down 'Command' / 'cmd', this will now mean the file you are dragging will be moved rather then copied to your folder destination. Effectively cutting and pasting the file.

11. HyperX13 macrumors 6502

Apple never figured out how to cut and paste files. The apologists will say the file gets lost somehow. Well, Linux, Windows and hell even versions of Unix does this. Not sure why this is so hard, but the simplest function is just not available.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You have it wrong. Its not that could not figure out how to do it, but rather they chose not to do it because it breaks the whole metaphor of cutting/pasting. If apple can develop a world class OS, iPhone, OS and myriads of other products they could figure out how to add command-x to the finder to cut/paste files. Its a strategic decision not do employ that functionality.

13. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I must admit I'm still annoyed with some Mac features such as the missing delete key and the misnamed backspace key. Cut and paste bothers me as well. Holding down ctrl, command or any other key while doing something seems clunky. ctrl-x ctrl-v really should work. I use it on my windows box and my ubuntu box but I deal with an "extra step" or have to remember to hold an "extra key" on my Mac or have to run a Finder replacement (pathfinder) on my Mac. Silly.

It's good to hear there is no real risk and the only real reason this is done this way is Apple stubbornness. I've learned to live with it, but since I have to spend hours a day staring at an OS other than OS X, I wouldn't mind one bit if Apple finally caved and implemented cut/paste in finder without the need for Apple-specific modifier keys.

14. HyperX13 macrumors 6502

Maybe it skipped their minds? I don't know why they did it, but it's annoying as hell. Most Apple experts use keys to get through various menus, etc. What is apples key stroke alternative to drag and drop and then delete original?

15. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

There is none AFAIK. See my post above for ways to use Applescript or other programs to make it work.

16. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You seem to be taking the common approach of "If it annoys me, it must be wrong." It doesn't annoy me, and plenty of other people get along just fine without Cut/Paste in Finder. Furthermore, you can get this behavior if you really want it very easily.

Just because something is not the way you'd like it to be doesn't mean it's wrong, or that someone couldn't "figure out" how to do it. Once people figure out that OS X ≠ Windows maybe you'll be able to move past this.

???????

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

+1

Excellent point and well said. While I do miss it (and I use path finder to get it back) you convey the message different isn't wrong. OSX is different the windows and that doesn't make it wrong. :)

18. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

You're right. So lets rephrase the argument. How come iWorks and iLife are both capable of cutting and pasting, while Finder is not? Why can't I "figure it out"?

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Because you're cutting/pasting data and the finder is cutting and pasting files/folders

Really this argument has been made over and over and over. Just look at the links provided earlier in this thread. This subject has been beaten to death.

20. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You're not really rephrasing the question at all. Lots of programs can cut and paste, but Finder isn't really in the same league as either as it's the front end for the entire OS.

21. HyperX13 macrumors 6502

I am not saying windows = osx or vice versa. All other OSes have it, Apple does not. Sorry, I want Apple to work around me and not vice versa, or at least give me an option to modify it. I was happy with file cutter but then apple took contextual menus away too.

Yes this has been beaten to death, but maybe it will eventually be noticed by some Apple developer.

22. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I doubt that one day an Apple developer is going to slap himself in the forehead and say "OMG, hey guys... how did we forget this?"

I won't try to defend Apple on this. I really have no idea why it is the way it is, and it doesn't bother me in the least, although I know it does others. But for whatever reason, I have no doubt Apple is aware of it and has made a conscious decision for it to be this way

If you really want it to change, submit it to Apple on their Mac OSX feedback form

23. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Being a long time Windows user, and an even longer Mac user (used the first Mac when all you could use was floppies back in the 80's)), I made my Mac where I could do certain Windows things I like. That's one of the things that's nice about the Mac OS, you can do lots of things to it using scripts and Terminal. So, if you don't like something about the Mac OS, fix it and make it work for you. So, although I may not have the exact cut that Windows has, the methods I found to do pretty much the same thing work for me.

24. Pomeroy macrumors 6502

Pomeroy

Amazing isn't it that it only takes 5 easy steps to move a file in the windows world.
    Step 1 right click on a file or folder,
    Step 2 select Cut
    Step 3 drill down to the folder or subfolder
    Step 4 right click again
    Step 5 select Paste.

On my Mac it only takes one quick easy step using "Spring-loaded Folders and Windows" to drag a file or folder anywhere in Finder in one motion and drop it. Set the delay for Spring-Loaded folders to something you are comfortable with and with a little practice you too can learn to use a Mac.
    If you really really have to use Right click try Right clicking on Finder in the dock and select "New Finder Window" the drag from one window to the other, at least this will save you a couple steps.

Apple didn't take the contextual menus away, look in the Services menu and select Service Preferences and you can set up all kinds of things for right clicking.