How to decide between the 6 & 6+

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The Robot Cow, Sep 25, 2014.

1. The Robot Cow macrumors 6502

The Robot Cow

I believe I'm not the only one in the boat of trying to decide between the iPhone 6 and 6+.

What sealed the deal for you?

Was it the larger screen of the 6+? Was is the smaller(perhaps better fit) of the 6? Was it the Optical Image Stabilization that's exclusive to the 6+? Or was it because the 6 was the only one available?

I'm just trying to get real feedback from the 6/6+ owners to help out the others in making their decision easier.

2. JoeTomasone macrumors 6502

I played with the 6 Plus in the Apple Store and simply could not fathom using it one handed whatsoever. My hands are on the small side, and to even push the home button one-handed was a part contortion act and part balancing act. It had drop/disaster written all over it. To reset my hand one-handed to actually scroll on the screen was yet another act of contortion. I realized that I would have to use it exclusively two-handed, and that doesn't fit my needs for a phone. I have an iPad to use two-handed.

After using the 6 for a while, I am pretty convinced that it is as big a phone as I can possibly wrangle unless I get some serious finger-extension surgery.

3. mjb59463 macrumors 6502

The answer came to me through 1 week of fasting and prayer.
    Or if you want to skip that, a trip to the Apple Store will solve this dilemma for you rather quickly.

Personally, I don't think its a good decision to make without physically holding both devices in your hand and finding out the pros/cons of them on your own, but that's just my take.

I got the 6+ because I preordered it launch day, then returned it for a 6 because the plus was just too big to handle, which I'm waiting for to ship now. Wish I would have waited and went to the store to find out for myself before I ordered anything in the first place.

4. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

I bought the 6+, returned it for the 6.

I WANT to love the 6+ but it's just too big for practical use.

If you always carry a bag\backpack, it's fine, but for pocket, you always have to worry about buying jeans which it'll fit into. If you can say your jean pockets are big enough, you don't worry about fashion anyhow. LOL

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I can use the 6 as I've always used the 5s. The 6+ is way too impractical for one-handed use.

The OIS is possibly the worse reason to pick the 6+ over the 6, as there's hardly any real-world difference between the two and a professional review didn't even bother to compare the two (it compared the 6+ to the 5s instead).

I'll say, however, that if you intend to use the 6+ as an iPad replacement/phone in one, that's probably the best reason for going with the 6+.

6. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

The increased battery is definitely a reason to consider the Plus, however. I agree the OIS isn't anything too major, but the battery lasts far longer than any other iPhone to date. It's impressive.

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Maybe for heavy users. The 6 lasts me through the day on a single charge just fine.

8. Taco1933 macrumors 6502

Get the largest screen you can comfortably carry and use. For most, that's probably a 6. For me it's the plus.

Go play around with both at the Apple store. See what you prefer. Borrow a friends plus or note and see if you can pocket it comfortably.

9. darrenf1 macrumors member

I'm considering returning the 6+ for a 6, as it really increases the difficulty of texting while I'm driving. Almost had an accident today, so, as much as I love it, it might have to go back.

10. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

I really don't want to be "that guy", but you really shouldn't text while you drive anyway... Unless you mean at a stoplight, which is different.

11. Breezygirl macrumors 6502

Breezygirl

Lovely, not! :confused:

12. theonekcrow macrumors 6502a

theonekcrow

For mine, it was the screen size that made me choose the 6+. I always told myself that I never wanted a phone this big, but after using my wife's Galaxy Note 3, it made me want a big phone.

I urge you that if you are undecided, find an Apple Store or a carrier store that has demo units. The only real way to help make this decision, especially with such a big size change to the iPhone, is to get one in your hands.

13. stasha macrumors 6502

texting while driving is dangerous,im thingking about the other,you could have an accident,its maybe ok for you to have an accident( since you do it texting),but im worry about those who you hit with your car.

14. darrenf1 macrumors member

How to decide between the 6 & 6+

Don't worry everyone. Don't know why I posted that. Extreme boredom maybe. Never felt the desire to troll before, and feel bad for posting it. Glad to see people jump on anyone that would cavalierly do such a thing while driving.
    On a related note, Siri finally works well
    With my Bluetooth speaker, hands free text dictation works like a charm

15. stasha macrumors 6502

almost had an accident at stoplight? he texting while driving he said it clearly.

----------

alright but dont do it again my love.

16. JoeTomasone macrumors 6502

One of the best uses of Siri, especially with "Hey Siri" while plugged in.

"Hey Siri, tell my wife that I will be home at 5:30".

17. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

I went to the Apple store and held both.

No point looking at specs , reviews, others opinions. Its a decision you have to make for yourself, and holding one, goes a long way....

18. LandoVol macrumors member

LandoVol

The 6+ has a 3000mah battery. It's basically double the 5s and considerably more than the 6. People aren't just saying the battery life is great for no reason. It's hard to run it dead in a single day with heavy use unless you're gaming on it for a long time. It's a beast.

----------

You're a ****ing idiot for posting this. I hope you're trolling, but I honestly doubt it. I hope you don't kill anyone else while you're texting and driving and only yourself.

19. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

I thought even the 6 would be hard to do everything one handed...
    so if I was going to use two, then the bigger screen would be very handy!

I figured with the wide range of things I do on the phone these days... that the bigger screen, and much better battery life, and bonus with the Optical Stabilisation meant that the 6 Plus was indeed the better all round phone.

Battery life was one of my biggest issues with my last iPhone... so the 6 Plus was easily the way to go for me.

Big screen is amazing to watch video, emails, internet, Facebook messages etc. Love having landscape views in many apps as well

20. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

My suggestion is to keep visiting the Apple store until your mind is made up. I am also in the deciding mode. First trip: Plus is WAY to big. Second trip: OK, the Plus is not that big, but I can't one-hand anything. There are a lot of times I one-hand my 5S, so this might bug me. But iBooks is great on the Plus . . .
    Personally leaning towards the regular 6.

21. SingingSabre macrumors newbie

I settled on the 6+ for two main reasons:

I need the extra battery. Most of my job is in the field and having that extra battery is going to save my bacon at some point.

I need the extra screen. Getting signatures on applications is the only reason I schlep my iPad with me every day. The extra screen real estate will make signatures easier.

Bonus reason: it'll be easier to read on the 6+. Another thing I can leave the iPad with the wife if I want to do.

That's just me, though. Ymmv. :)

22. nlkccom macrumors 6502a

Go to Apple store. Spend some time to check out both phones, then go with what your gut tells you.

23. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

I got the 6+ for the screen size, better stabilization with the camera, and the battery life. If Apple only released the 6, I probably wouldve just kept the 5S I had as the 5S to the 6 wasnt enough of a jump for me to make.

I would recommend going to the stores and playing with them for a while. See what feels better to you. In the real world, you wont really notice what your missing unless youve already had it. So if you play with the 6+ and still prefer the 6, you probably wont be missing any of its extra features. Similar to 5C users buying a new phone with iPhone 5 internals. They were older, but it didnt affect the user experience.

24. jetlagged macrumors 6502

my friend said to me, because i'm deciding also between the 6 and 6 plus, he said the iphone 6=5c, and the iphone 6 plus =5s

i said to him, that doesn't make any sense. but the more i think about it, the plus is the higher end premium product. i dont know about that. but it does make sense.