How to Defrag MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by XTRanger, Jun 24, 2007.

1. XTRanger macrumors member

i purchased a new MBP last week, and it is working great! but over the course of last week, i installed and uninstalled tons of junk programs- norton antivirus, photoshop trial, and countless other stuff. all this install/uninstall must have defragmented the HDD.. i was just wondering how can i defragment my volume. thanks a lot, im a new comer to mac, so i dont know how to work my way around mac os 10- spotlight didnt give any programs for defragmenting

2. blackstone macrumors regular

3. Freyqq macrumors 68040

download onyx for maintenance. I don't think there is a good way to defrag on a mac, but onyx does other stuff to clean it up. Maybe HFS+ doesn't need to be defragged?

4. Merlyn3D macrumors regular

iDefrag.....it come with CDMaker to make a bootable CD to allow you to do a full defrag.

5. opticalserenity macrumors 6502a

Thats cool that you can do it with that app, but is it "needed?"

6. iTim314 macrumors 6502

You know the "Optimizing System Performance" line during installations?

It's defragmenting. It doesn't seem to be taking very long because it does it often, so it never gets really bad.

Also, if left idle for a while, UNIX defrags automatically.

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

Hmmm. I always read that it was prebinding when it said it was optimizing.

8. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

The cool thing about OS X, like everyone said, is that you really don't need to defrag the HD, it does it for you. If you just leave your MBP on all night, no sleeping for it, it'll defrag itself, because of the Unix. But if you feel the need to defrag yourself I'm sure there are tons of programs to do it.

9. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Also having installed Norton you might want to do an archive and install on the entire system.

10. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Correct. It's updating prebinding, not defragmenting.

11. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

Are you saying this as a guess or are you experiencing sluggishness, slowdowns and spinning beach balls?

If it's sluggishness it could be caused by not having enough HD space available or some other problem completely unrelated to fragmentation. The general consensus of opinion is that it's not necessary to defrag OSX. OSX likes about 20% HD space free and lots of RAM.

12. Sopranino macrumors 6502

I'm going to more or less repeat a few things that have already been said.

1) Just to further confirm the issue, you do not need to defrag an Apple HD (or for that matter any Unix OS HD)

2) You don't need to have anti-viral software installed on your computer unless there is a specific requirement from an IT guy for you to have it in order to link into a workplace intranet. Macs are really not vulnerable to viruses the way that Windows are, short of somebody actually sitting in front of your computer and being able to gain access to your account and then physically typing in a virus at that point.

3) Welcome to the Apple family.

Sopranino

13. XTRanger thread starter macrumors member

I understand that I dont need to defrag the hard disk if each of the files were under 20MB. But I am fairly certain that there were several files which were over 50MB. I was really hoping for some built in tool in OSX itself to defrag- it should be a necessary tool which should be bundled with the operating system itself- at least Windows had it.

I think apple screwed this one up by not having any maintainence tools in its OS. (please correct me if im wrong)

14. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

disk warrior???

the actual best way to defrag is to clone ur drive. its possibly the only true defrag

15. janey macrumors 603

janey

You won't gain any perceptible increase of performance from defragging anything right now, and most modern filesystems are designed to reduce fragmentation for starters. Filesystems aren't stupid. Including NTFS.

Apple didn't screw it up, Apple knew about this and planned ahead. HFS+ is designed to keep fragmentation at a minimum, so there is no need to have a separate defragger and it is rather stupid to go and purchase an app just to do so.

If you need more concrete evidence to back up what I've said - http://www.kernelthread.com/mac/apme/fragmentation/index.html

16. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Leave OS X ALONE!

Leave it!

There :D Now, go about your business and enjoy your wonderful machine. If you begin experiencing problems then you can start to troubleshoot and run weird and wonderful maintenance programs, but until that day just leave it be.

17. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

HERE HERE!!! lol. osx does a mighty fine job of everything by its lonesome.
    the only thing i couldnt agree with is ur imogen heap quote doovie :p jks

18. janey macrumors 603

janey

cloning != defragging

cloning would just give you the same amount of fragmentation...

19. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hmm id have to beg to differ. its just that the files are arranged in a slightly diff way. with cloning you are guaranteed to have everything cloned.(makes sense). defrag isnt 100% purem imho

20. janey macrumors 603

janey

i'm sorry, i still don't comprehend how cloning can defrag "100%".

Again, pointing out that it doesn't fragment much to begin with, and of course there's no such thing as complete defragmentation given files that cannot be moved...

21. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Without any knowledge on the subject, I'm going to hazard a guess that copying an entire drive should, if the suggested is correct, place files together and near the start of the duplicate drive even if they are fragmented on the source.

22. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

To the OP

If after reading all this including Janey's excellent link, (nice one Janey) and you really feel the need to appear geeky and powerful then install applejack and run that occasionally. It doesn't defrag but it might satisfy your desire to feel you are having some control over the computer.

It runs in single user mode which is extremely impressive if others happen to see what you are doing. It will take longer than normal after rebooting as it rebuilds caches and stuff. But it does search out corrupt preferrence files and is worth running if any funny business starts happening.

23. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

No, it isn't.

It's prebinding at this point, plus running any post install scripts that were packaged with the installer package.

24. janey macrumors 603

janey

yes, but fragmentation can still occur despite that, even if there was a case for such an extreme measure to defrag a drive cause it's so obviously unnecessary.

25. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

miniconvert seems to be pretty accurate to the best of my knowledge..
    the files from the older drive will be put in some kind of order onto the new drive, making seek times shorter and what not