How to delete a user, but save ALL of its data? (Somewhat urgent)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mrat93, Jul 20, 2011.

1. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

To keep this brief, my dad passed away a couple of months ago. With the OLD login page, it would only show the first four users alphabetically without scrolling. I put a "Z" in front of his user name so he would show up fifth on this list, and we wouldn't have to see his picture (not a happy thing to look at so soon.)

With the NEW login screen, it shows all users. I want to disable or delete my dad's account, but save ALL of his data. If it is possible, I'd like to have the ability to restore the account and all of its data. Is this possible? Thanks.

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

In the system preferences > accounts pref pane, there's an option when deleting a user's account to save their data.

Not on my Mac at the moment, or I'd attach a screenshot.

3. mrat93 thread starter macrumors 65816

mrat93

I see this option. It saves the entire home folder in a disk image. However, say we want to check his email or something. Would it be as easy as creating a new user and overwriting the new user's home folder with the home folder in the disk image?

4. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

I'm trying to be as sensitive as possible.

Can you change the profile picture associated with your Dad's account?

5. mrat93 thread starter macrumors 65816

mrat93

Yes. Actually what I've done is change the picture to one of the stock icons and renamed the account to "Archive." I told my mom that I combined multiple users' data in one account. We had a couple of other accounts that we don't use much anymore. It's still his account though. The other accounts are saved as disk images. She's only concerned that we save his data. She won't know the difference. As long as his name and picture isn't there, it'll do.