How to diagnose a late 2009 MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by arctyler, Aug 23, 2013.

1. arctyler macrumors regular

I just bought a MacBook off Craigslist for 15 bucks, 250 gb hard drive it said when I pulled it apart, so anyway I pulled it all apart, from the battery, hard drive, optic drive, and the fan, only thing on it now is the motherboard, all the water sensors look white, I can't find any others besides under the optic disk and on the motherboard, what else could be wrong and how do I test for it?

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I don't get it. Did you buy it working or not working.

Either way, try turning it on and see what pops up.

3. arctyler thread starter macrumors regular

I tried turnin it on when I bought it, it wasn't working, but just gave him 15 bucks for the parts, when I had it plugged in, the orange light on the charger came on, and when I pressed the power button, the green light would come on for 20 seconds then it would go back to orange

----------

I'd take the board out but I don't have any torx drivers

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

5. arctyler thread starter macrumors regular

What do you mean?

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Remove the battery and try turning it on again.

7. arctyler thread starter macrumors regular

Then it won't do anything without a battery right? Or do u mean plug it in with the battery out? Also I don't have a charger, I borrowed my buddies when I went to buy this

8. raptor402 macrumors 6502

Here's the first test:

Remove the battery too. Remove all cables (i.e., speakers, front LED, microphone, keyboard, subwoofer, airport express, et al). Then, connect the HDD and the display. So you'll have nothing but the logic board, RAM, HDD and display. Connect the power adapter. The light should glow green.

If the light on the MagSafe doesn't glow, the adapter or the Logic Board is the issue.

If it works, use something small, metallic and flat-surfaced to jump the power button on the board (I used the end of a screw-driver bit). The jumper is two small solder spots right above the keyboard port.

If it doesn't boot, then it might be the Logic Board, RAM or power adapter, though Logic Board is the best bet.

Shut it down and attach a keyboard (not internal keyboard). Start up again and hold alt. If the boot partition is displayed, then yay! If not, then either the Logic Board is the issue, or you need to reformat the HDD and reinstall the OS.

You can keep adding peripheral one by one and see what screws it up.

I hope this helps.

Regards
    Raptor

9. arctyler thread starter macrumors regular

How do you reattach the subwoofer? Just curious

10. raptor402 macrumors 6502

The airport bracket, which is located on top of the optical drive, has the subwoofer on the bottom. The bracket has two cables: a ribbon cable for the airport adapter and a small cable for the subwoofer.