Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Newton’s Apple

Suspended
Feb 6, 2018
Happened all the time on my 6 Plus. But then there are many variables that affect battery health such as extreme temperatures, physical impacts to the device, such as dropping it (the 6 plus was very durable, on the outside, but you can’t really see what a drop does to the inside).
Agree! Certain weather conditions can cause phone's to shutdown unexpectedly.

zoneee

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2014
My battery is 88% (apple store reading) and my iphone 6 is severely throttled (benchmark confirmed).

Anyone knows if the battery settings will work with aftermarket batteries?
Ive read on an Italian website in case of misplaced or not original battery the battery settings won't work until you change it (for an original one).

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Agreed. Batteries do wear out. I'm familiar with the effects of use, disuse, and temperature on different battery chemistries.

Apple throttles phones with batteries that are not worn out. Unreconcilable.
Since when is being 'worn out' a binary state? And who decides which criteria classifies a battery as 'worn out'?

I'd say if anything, 'worn out' would be defined as not fulfilling some relevant performance criteria, be that maximum capacity or maximum current. If the iPhone 6 and 6s batteries don't fulfil, eg, the maximum current criteria after one year (and, eg, 200 cycles), thus leading to sudden shutdowns, wouldn't that be a useful definition of 'worn out'?

You confuse the expectation that a battery should last, eg, three years and 500 cycles with a phone being defective. The iPhone 6 and 6s simply have a crappy battery that needs replacing every one to the two years.

kyjaotkb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
London, UK
How to drastically improve general iPhone performance on older models on iOS11 (all versions):
- deactivate iCloud Photo Library, use Google Photos

Boom.

tino1970

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2016
my battery health is 88%(info from Apple) and my iPhone 6s is throttled[/QUOTE said:
My iPhone 6+ battery health is 89% and throttled beyond usability. My navigation app is especially effected and unusable since iOS 11 - without any warning of consequences from apple of what might happen if I update the system.

Bottom line is the list of annoyances from Apple is growing daily and I just feel the attitude towards hardcore loyal customers has changed a lot in past few years.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
It’s not true I have never experienced any unexpected shutdown on any of my older iPhones. Even though I have older iPhones with degraded batteries.
The fact that they are called sudden or unexpected shutdowns very much makes it clear that they are not predictable (eg, that they would happen whenever the charge level drops below, eg, 25%), that they are somewhat random. Meaning that a number of factors play into this. If sudden shutdowns happen for the same person with the same phone sometimes at 50% and sometimes at 15% charge level, is it so hard to believe the same phone model with a similar age might have a lot of sudden shutdowns for one person and almost none for another? And you don't even say what older phones you have. Are the 6 or 6s models, or others like a 5s or an SE?

If 80% of users experience sudden shutdowns, you cannot say that this cannot be true because you don't experience any.

Jesse Waugh

Suspended
Nov 10, 2017
New York City
What are you talking about?
On that status bar up top it 100% of whatever the battery is capable of at it's age. It won't show you 80% max if you battery can only hold 80% of it's original charge. Is that what you mean?
[doublepost=1517984929][/doublepost]
I can't decide between laughing or facepalming.

Because how would you know, right?

makitango

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2012
I also never had any unexpected shutdowns on any Apple devices prior to the 6 and I don't even think it's about faulty batteries. I get the impression that performance handling got too complex for Apple which is why the OS surrenders in the form of respring/shutdown. If you pay attention after exiting an app which drew a lot of resources (like a demanding game, for example), you can see the OS lagging for a few secs while it is reorganizing information within the RAM. But as a device which is presenting itself as the prime device for user interaction, the OS should never be in the situation where the UI struggles to follow the user's actions. In the earlier iOS versions, quitting or switching apps (even demanding games) never led to lags which means that the OS was already optimized.
I'm looking forward to a stable, secure and consistent software update. On the Mac, this has been perfect in the release of Snow Leopard and good enough for me in Mavericks and El Capitan. I still use Snow Leopard on my 2011 MBPnr with an upgraded SSD, and its speed and stability feels unmatched.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I have an iPhone 6S which is about 15 months old, 94%, don't know what changed but it is considerably better on iOS 11.3 beta and the battery seems to be doing better as well.
I am of the opinion that people who need batteries within a year AND have more than 600 cycles should not get a new free battery, these users are using their iPhones heavily and should expect to pay for a battery which just has been consumed.

Reactions: nephron8

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
People need to decouple the reported battery percentage from the throttling. As far as I. An tell, the throttle is applied if an unexpected shutdown is detected and determined to be a result low output from that battery (I wonder if false positives are possible?). This seems to independent from peak capacity left in the battery.
I would recommend that most people disable throttling if it was triggered, and if you have an unexpected shutdown, turn it back on and consider a new battery (and maybe consider other options for your next phone as well).

jstorm01

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2015
Levittown PA
I thought my iPhone 6 Plus would have been much worse it says it’s maximum capacity is 90%. This phone was pretty much always on the charger too unless I left my house So ha ! Leaving it plugged in doesn’t damage the battery after all! I do the same with my iPhone X also .

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
Hence Apple’s guidelines for the proper temperature to operate the phone, printed right in that paperwork no one ever looks at.
[doublepost=1517998275][/doublepost]
Happened all the time on my 6 Plus. But then there are many variables that affect battery health such as extreme temperatures, physical impacts to the device, such as dropping it (the 6 plus was very durable, on the outside, but you can’t really see what a drop does to the inside). Etc.
[doublepost=1517998856][/doublepost]
False. An iPhone 6S purchased new today has the same processor speed as a 6S purchased three years ago on launch day was back then. Several people have run benchmarks on here and found this to be the case. So why does everything seem slower? The apps today just demand more processor power. That’s life.

I have a 6s and it's fast. However, I wasn't talking about perceived speed or performance.

I was talking about measurable clock speed vs. battery degradation. Lots of reports of throttling with batteries well into the 80th health percentile.
[doublepost=1518045217][/doublepost]
Since when is being 'worn out' a binary state? And who decides which criteria classifies a battery as 'worn out'?

I'd say if anything, 'worn out' would be defined as not fulfilling some relevant performance criteria, be that maximum capacity or maximum current. If the iPhone 6 and 6s batteries don't fulfil, eg, the maximum current criteria after one year (and, eg, 200 cycles), thus leading to sudden shutdowns, wouldn't that be a useful definition of 'worn out'?

You confuse the expectation that a battery should last, eg, three years and 500 cycles with a phone being defective. The iPhone 6 and 6s simply have a crappy battery that needs replacing every one to the two years.

The battery health measure is supposed to be a representation of wear. Reports state that Apple throttles phones with a high health level. A battery with a poor lifespan would degrade more quickly and that would show, so it's still a valid measure.

We both have a valid premise and I also agree with yours. Either Apple is prematurely throttling phones, or their batteries are crap. It falls back to a problem at Apple's end either way.

Last edited:

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
The battery health measure is supposed to be a representation of wear. Reports state that Apple throttles phones with a high health level. A battery with a poor lifespan would degrade more quickly and that would show, so it's still a valid measure.

We both have a valid premise and I also agree with yours. Either Apple is prematurely throttling phones, or their batteries are crap. It falls back to a problem at Apple's end either way.
No battery health is not the same a battery wear. Though they both degrade over time.
Battery wear is an indication of the max capacity. Whereas battery health is whether the battery can sustain peak output over the discharge cycle.
One battery can be at 100% capacity and not be healthy. And another may be at 50% yet still healthy.
I’m being slightly lose with terms, but I think you get the point.

Reactions: makitango

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
The problem is that your premise completely ignores the sudden shutdowns and the fact that the throttling solved the sudden shutdown issue. And 'crappy' batteries is also a simplification, they weren't low-quality batteries, just under-designed (under-dimensioned) batteries for what they were asked to do.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
does the throttling only happen when the battery is low or all the time?

the reason I ask is I have a 6, and its as slow as molasses sometimes. according to lirum my battery only charges to 66% of full capacity, whereas now in settings it says 83%. It does though say its a degraded battery but tells me its not being throttled. have I just been fooling myself that its a battery issue rather than simply an old slow phone, or is it that as my battery is at 90% its not throttling now but will when its lower?

nephron8

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2012
I have an iPhone 6S which is about 15 months old, 94%, don't know what changed but it is considerably better on iOS 11.3 beta and the battery seems to be doing better as well.
I am of the opinion that people who need batteries within a year AND have more than 600 cycles should not get a new free battery, these users are using their iPhones heavily and should expect to pay for a battery which just has been consumed.
But apple has no right to throttle our phones. That control is misuse of authority.

zoneee

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2014
does the throttling only happen when the battery is low or all the time?

the reason I ask is I have a 6, and its as slow as molasses sometimes. according to lirum my battery only charges to 66% of full capacity, whereas now in settings it says 83%. It does though say its a degraded battery but tells me its not being throttled. have I just been fooling myself that its a battery issue rather than simply an old slow phone, or is it that as my battery is at 90% its not throttling now but will when its lower?

its 100% your battery slowing down your phone.
With mine the more the battery loses charge the more the phone slows down, even benchmarks confirm it
[doublepost=1518091575][/doublepost]
But apple has no right to throttle our phones. That control is misuse of authority.

That isn't even the problem.
The main problem is Apple misdesigned a phone (or its batteries) and as soon as the battery starts degrading, it can't hold the peak power anymore and the phone shuts down. Maybe battery producers are to blame, maybe apple power management is, either way the consumer havent been aware of this for years and have kept buying new phones instead of batteries.
Now, I appreciate the discount on the battery, but there in NO WAY i need to buy a new one because mine doesn't match the specs anymore when it's 90% healthy.

Reactions: aylk

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
It’s all in how you phrase the question. Is the phone required to run at full speed when a “consumable” component is degraded? Just like a car may fall back into a “limp home” mode if a spark plug fails, I don’t believe phones are required to run at peek when the battery is failing.
Don’t get me wrong, Apple handled this horribly. Mostly due to poor transparency. And consumer trust in Apple will hurt for a long time. One of Apple’s key benefits in the past was long support for OS upgrades. However the previous sell point and trust has been ruined over this hardware issue. I know several people who passed on upgrading to the iPhone X over this issue and are now considering other brands.
Personally I don’t think Apple will face many legal repercussion once the dust settles, but just like a car company with a reputation for very high maintenance costs, the consumer blowback may be devastating.

aylk

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2010
Only the latest 11.2.x version have battery related throttling. If you have 11.x your phone will already be about as slow as it will get (from the more complex OS). Installing a high revision of 11.x will not slow down your phone more.
Not true, my phone (a 6S) was slowed down on iOS 10. After replacing the battery (for unrelated reasons), it went back to normal full speed. It's now still running perfectly on iOS 11 at 89% battery capacity, it's pretty fast actually.

? My SE is new and I upgraded from 9.x to 11.2 . I ran Antutu benchmark and it was essentially the same speed as the iOS 9.x that it came on. The SE is pretty much the 6s hardware, yes?
I've had the exact same experience with my 6S, it runs iOS 11 smoothly, with a new battery of course. I really do not feel that my hardware is struggling to run the latest OS in any way.

Last edited:

Norbs12

Suspended
Apr 24, 2015
Mountain View, CA
Not true, my phone (a 6S) was slowed down on iOS 10. After replacing the battery (for unrelated reasons), it went back to normal full speed. It's now still running perfectly on iOS 11 at 89% battery capacity, it's pretty fast actually.

I've had the exact same experience with my 6S, it runs iOS 11 smoothly, with a new battery of course. I really do not feel that my hardware is struggling to run the latest OS in any way.

In the context of the question my answer makes sense.

nephron8

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2012
It’s all in how you phrase the question. Is the phone required to run at full speed when a “consumable” component is degraded? Just like a car may fall back into a “limp home” mode if a spark plug fails, I don’t believe phones are required to run at peek when the battery is failing.
Don’t get me wrong, Apple handled this horribly. Mostly due to poor transparency. And consumer trust in Apple will hurt for a long time. One of Apple’s key benefits in the past was long support for OS upgrades. However the previous sell point and trust has been ruined over this hardware issue. I know several people who passed on upgrading to the iPhone X over this issue and are now considering other brands.
Personally I don’t think Apple will face many legal repercussion once the dust settles, but just like a car company with a reputation for very high maintenance costs, the consumer blowback may be devastating.
Tell us that battery is spoilt. Go replace the battery. Rather than this hidden shady practice of throttling.
Why Apple hides it.

why can’t iOS be upfront about battery health?
Tell us give notification that go replace damn consumable battery.
Can you even think of swapping battery on iPad?
I myself was screwed by royal policy of Apple that mo battery swap on iPad. I had to junk sale my iPad Air 2 and get iPad Pro and I swear on good that I will not update to iOS 12/13 or whatever new feature they come up with.

They need to give us downgrade rights to iOS and also need to make battery swapping real for all I devices.

I hate Apple for this hidden shady practice.

Cost of swapping out of warranty iPad Air 2 was equal to buying new iPad 2017 edition.
How that is consumer friendly?
Apple needs to give up its obsession on thinness of its devices.
I cancelled my plan to buy iPhone 8 or x due to this fracas.

Last edited:
Reactions: err404

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
The problem is that your premise completely ignores the sudden shutdowns and the fact that the throttling solved the sudden shutdown issue. And 'crappy' batteries is also a simplification, they weren't low-quality batteries, just under-designed (under-dimensioned) batteries for what they were asked to do.

I care less about being correct and more about Apple correcting their problem. Throttling isn't a solution I want.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
I care less about being correct and more about Apple correcting their problem. Throttling isn't a solution I want.
You know what the only other two solutions are: 1) Sudden shutdowns or 2) New battery. And both will be available to you soon (the second already is).

peite

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2011
My iphone SE (1st gen) constantly dies when im out in the cold -4 to 0 Celsius. Battery capacity is 87%.
Problem is I turned off Performance management before and contrary to what Apple and this article says - the Performance management DOES NOT TURN BACK ON AFTER PHONE DIES. So I can’t turn it back on.
Perhaps I have to try change battery and do some kind of reset or so?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.