Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In iOS 15 as well as Safari 15 for macOS Big Sur and macOS Catalina, Apple introduced some Safari interface design changes that haven't been universally welcomed. Fortunately, Apple has made some of these changes optional, such as the ability to disable tab bar coloring.

safari-15-tinting.jpg
Tab bar coloring on (left) versus coloring off (right) in dark mode

Tab bar coloring, or website tinting, happens when the color of Safari's interface changes around the tabs, bookmark, and navigation button areas to match the color of the website you're viewing.

The idea behind tinting is that it allows the browser interface to fade into the background and create a more immersive experience. However, the effect doesn't always look great, especially if you have several windows arranged on your desktop. Happily, Apple chose to include an option to turn it off.
  1. Launch Safari, then select Safari -> Preferences... from the menu bar.
    safari-preferences.jpg

Select the Tabs panel.
    Uncheck the box next to Show color in tab bar.
    safari-tab-preferences.jpg
If you're using Safari in iOS 15, you can find the same option in Settings -> Safari. Under the "Tabs" section, turn off the switch next to Allow Website Tinting. On iPadOS 15, this option is called Show Color in Tab Bar, just like in Safari 15 for macOS.

ios-safari-turn-off-tinting.jpg

In previous versions of iOS, Apple included a "Show Color in Tab Bar" accessibility setting, which basically had the same effect as the new "Allow Website Tinting" toggle. The fact that Apple made the option more prominent suggests user aversion to tinting is more common than previously thought.

Article Link: How to Turn Off Tab Bar Coloring / Tinting in Safari

Last edited:

ctg7w6

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2014
I really like this new feature about the coloring of the tab bar -- EXCEPT it kind of freaks me out when the color of safari windows are different from each other. Earlier I had the standard dark mode on one window and another was light blue. It was honestly kind of weird to me. Almost enough to turn the feature off lol.

Reactions: Vegas Vic

Lounge Deluxe

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2009
Amsterdam
I'd love to use all this new Safari functionality but I've abandoned Safari due to its inability to install extensions like uBlock Origin and similar privacy protecting extensions. Would Safari 15 do better in this regard compared to the versions 14 and 13?

Reactions: HVDynamo

Calle68

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2012
Well, disable one of the major features and innovation presented during the WWDC .... I don't see the point. What remains of very interesting in upgrading?

Teifi

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2021
UK
I don’t mind the tab colouring, but the address bar at the bottom of the screen was really annoying me and inconsistent with iPad and MacOS. Thanks for the screen images above, I’ve turned it off now!

Reactions: Digital Dude

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
I really like this new feature about the coloring of the tab bar -- EXCEPT it kind of freaks me out when the color of safari windows are different from each other. Earlier I had the standard dark mode on one window and another was light blue. It was honestly kind of weird to me. Almost enough to turn the feature off lol.
I’m sure web designers will add those theme color tags when macOS Monterey comes. Additionally, I learned that using typical media queries allows for the coloring to change with light/dark mode settings.

matt_and_187_like_this

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2015
Horrible design especially on iPad. These fine white lines are horrendous. Disabling coloring only makes it slightly better. On Mac it could maybe work if they had made it bit more subtle. The change is too harsh when switching tabs and for some websites it uses colors that are just way too intense.

Konigi

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2017
Montréal, Québec
I'm on Apple's side here: I love the new UI, and although there is still room for improvement, I think it's heading in a great direction.

My disappointment is that this web tinting feature does not seem to work on many websites that I've tried. I thought it was broken at first as I wanted to see it in action, as I couldn't find a website where it worked. I hope it gets more common in the near future!

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
Whenever a new iOS / macOS update comes out, I spend the first half an hour digging through various settings to disable whatever new 'features' they implemented. Maybe I'm just old and miserable. :confused:

Ironically the only thing I ever specifically turn on with a new Mac is Dock magnification ... after I've set it to the left.

Last edited:

UnexpectedHuman

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2009
Europe
Want to disable transparency...
System Preferences :: Display :: Reduce Transparency helps.

Not enjoying the new Safari at all. It now seems to be impossible to drag from the web address to a folder on the favorites bar. Instead you have to click on the '...' blob and navigate through a menu. I also much preferred the old style tab bar instead of the large lozenge style that is now used.

The new Safari seems a step back for usability, and frankly does not even look particularly good.

Attachments

• transparency.jpg
    transparency.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 72

TheDailyApple

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2019
The idea is nice, but too many websites don’t support it. It’s one of the first things I disabled.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.