How to do an iphone exchange at apple store

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Xplic1T, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Xplic1T macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

So here's the deal, im buying a broken 16 gig 3g off craigslist and trying a) either fix it or b) try to exchange it at the apple store.

I've read in multiple places that the apple store will replace your broken iphone but im guessing that you have to be under warrenty unless your subject to fees.

Can anybody confirm this, because it seems too good to be true.

Thanks.

2. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Define "broken." They'll exchange it only if its a manufacturing fault.

3. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

Broken as in a mysterious dead device that one day didn't turn on or broken as in ran over by a car then threw into a lake?

4. Xplic1T thread starter macrumors newbie

"Hello Genius Person,

I went to sleep last night and the thing wont boot up, my wife had it for about 4 months and doesn't know why it just wont boot all of a sudden. We charge it on our ihome but i dont think that had anything to do with it"

"Alright let me check for water damage .... None"

"Okay ...."

Thats how im hoping it will go.

5. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Ok ....

So, just take it in man. Sheesh.

6. Xplic1T thread starter macrumors newbie

The problem is i dont know if there is any "water damage"

he said his friend spilled some water on it and it broke, so i guess i have to see if the sensor changed color.

7. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Ummm, no.

Why should Apple give you a brand new iPhone, when you've paid for a broken one?

That's practically stealing. If the phone is under warranty, it will show up as being registered to your seller - so they won't be giving it straight back to you. You could have just stolen it and are trying to get it replaced before the user blacklists it.

They're not stupid - thankfully.

If you can somehow prove the phone belongs to you, and there is a genuine MANUFACTURING fault with it - meaning in the process of making it, something has grone wrong - and the phone doesn't have physical damage which is likely to have caused the damage, and the water sensors are in place, they will either exchange it, or send it away for repair.

Don't just buy a broken iPhone to get it exchanged and have a brand new shiny iPhone.

No wonder Apple products cost more when people like you are trying to rob the company.

Either buy a working one, or don't get one. Don't make us pay for your mistakes.

8. aristobrat macrumors G5

If there's no water/physical damage, and it's still under warranty, and you have an active AT&T account w/ an iPhone plan (most Geniuses will check for that, some will let that slide), you're probably fine.

Shine a flashlight down the earphone jack and see if you see something white or red at the very bottom. There's also a sensor around the 30-pin dock area.

If either sensors are red, then they consider the phone to be water damaged (and beyond economical repair) and will not service it, even for a fee.

9. The General macrumors 601

Wait, my sensor in the dock connector area is red ... but I've NEVER spilled water on it or dropped it in water or anything.

What could this mean?

10. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

I'm sure there was a thread on this the other day.

Give MRoogle a search, hopefully someone answered there. Do you go running and sweat a lot? :confused:

11. Xplic1T thread starter macrumors newbie

Either way it has to be under warrenty which they can check but if it doesn't turn on and its not really my phone but my wives phone how will they even know its active on AT&T?

12. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

If there's water damage they WON'T exchange it.

13. dave006 Contributor

dave006

First you need to know if you can get a refurbished iPhone 3G:
    1. Water / liquid sensor locations iPhone 3G, iPhone, iPod touch, iPod nan and Ipod classic: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3302
    2. To confirm that it was ever activated to start the warranty, Warranty Status: https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do

Are you a current AT&T customer?

Dave

14. Xplic1T thread starter macrumors newbie

15. aristobrat macrumors G5

Before you go in, you can check to see if it's under warranty warranty (over at https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do).

You can also to check to see if the water damage indicators have turned red.

They can tell if its active on AT&T by beginning typically beginning the conversation with you by asking for the iPhone's AT&T telephone number and verifying that the iPhone data plan is active. At the store near me, if you try to go down the route that "I just bought it used and it won't boot up so I can't activate it myself", they'll almost always send you to the AT&T store in the mall to have you add the iPhone plan to your account. If you show them proof of that, they'll continue.

Also remember to online schedule a (free) appt at the Genius Bar before you try to go. If you just walk in, if they're busy (and most bars are), you may end up with a standby appt, which can take hours to be seen if one of the schedule appts doesn't no-show.

16. dave006 Contributor

dave006

If it was never activated, then no warranty. If it is not a US iPhone 3G, then no warranty. The Apple Genius tech may ask for your phone number (yes for the phone that you are trying to get warranty serviced). :eek:

Best case if all else fails and the phone is physically intact but the warranty is void, you may be able to get an Out of Warranty Replacement for an additional $299.

Dave

17. Xplic1T thread starter macrumors newbie

hmmm

So there needs to be proof that shes on at&t w/ the data plan

18. aristobrat macrumors G5

There's always a chance you'll get a Genius that doesn't care, but most of them follow the procedures which do involve checking for that.

But first things first. Check the water sensors. If either of them are red (which is likely, if someone spilled water on the device), then there's no point in even worrying about the data plan, because even if you had one, Apple doesn't service water-damaged iPhones.

19. Xplic1T thread starter macrumors newbie

alright so lets say there isn't water damage but its not under warrenty ...

people seem to be leaving this one out

20. aristobrat macrumors G5

21. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

No. He's buying a strangers iPhone and lying and saying its his wife's because he wants a new one.

So, they'll tell your wife to go in and prove she's the account holder.

Do you think Apple are this stupid?

Why should they give you a new phone. Bloody buy a new one like everyone else and stop trying to cheat the system.

Why are you encouraging this person to defraud the system?

22. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Why don't you just go to the Apple Store?

Bang - the REAL answer, just like that.

No matter what we say, you'll EVENTUALLY have to go in anyway. :rolleyes:

23. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Because he's not the owner of the iPhone

He's not an AT&T customer

He wants to get his facts straights to he can fathom together some fake story to get the phone exchanged, go home, and unlock it - all for the price of a broken iPhone.

24. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Because he wants to know the many ways he'll be made a fool in public by Apple by trying to exchange the phone.

25. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Thank G-d.

Someone else who can see through his transparency.