How to downgrade from 4.3 to 4.2.1?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by answerman, Jan 14, 2011.

1. answerman macrumors newbie

Each time I try, it goes into recovery and ends up with a 1015 error. I've used TinyUmbrella to kick it out of recovery mode, but that doesn't seem to do the trick.

4.3 works. But I'd like to get 4.2.1 on it.

Any advice? Thanks.

2. jwilson25 macrumors regular

jwilson25

Is it a W-Fi or 3G model?

3. answerman thread starter macrumors newbie

3g

4. LudaKirs macrumors newbie

Same Issue

I have A developer account, so I updated to the 4.3 for my iPad 3G+WiFi, I played around with it, got bored of it and went to downgrade back to 4.2.1, I can't, I can downgrade to 3.2.2 and thats it, all my SHSH blobs are saved I tried recboot, and Tinyumbrella to get back to 4.2.1, it just puts me into the connect to iTunes loop, 3.2.2 works fine though and when I go to Cydia I see that me 4.2.1 is saved...anyone have any ideas?

5. Saberon macrumors 6502a

Ugh? Restore to 3.2.1 as you said you can and then "officially" upgrade to 4.2.1?

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yeah wait until apple officially releases the update to apply it.

7. Advil macrumors 6502a

I'm in the same position. I thought that you could downgrade since 4.2.1 is still technically signed by Apple. Guess not though. It's pretty buggy. Which is expected out of a first beta but I really thought I could go right back.

Whoops! Just gotta deal with it I guess.

8. answerman thread starter macrumors newbie

And when they officially release 4.3, what will the steps be to downgrade it 4.2.1? Seriously. If you know that, it would help here.

But since you don't, and the beta nature of this release is irrelevant to the question I posed, why did you bother responding?

9. Ksane macrumors regular

Nope, that doesn't work either.I've tried different versions of iTunes also and have my blobs saved for all the ios versions. Strange problem. I settled for going back to 3.2.1 jailbroken. No big deal and certainly not the end of the world. I was getting a little tired of the 4.2 tethered jailbreak anyway. They claimed to have had it jailbroken before it came out in Nov?? And here it is mid-January and still no untethered jailbreak. Sounds like Apple's tricks.

10. cRuNcHiE, Jan 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2011

cRuNcHiE macrumors 6502a

It's to do with the 3G baseband

The restore fails when it tries to downgrade the baseband which it can't.

Try this: restore to 4.2.1 then when it fails and leaves iPad in recovery, run the app 'recboot' to exit it out of recovery and it should be ok

Edit: just saw LudaKirs tried this already. I haven't tried myself yet as 4.3b1 is running well for ,e

11. Ksane macrumors regular

I used Tiny Umbrella and chose "kick device out of recovery" which I believe is the same thing and it didn't work. I'll wait til someone else tries the same thing with RecBoot to see if it works before I try.

12. cRuNcHiE macrumors 6502a

FYI the untethered 4.2.1 iPad jailbreak has been out for weeks now with a redsn0w beta, as long as u have 4.2 beta shsh blobs on file. But that doesn't really help u now.

13. Ksane macrumors regular

It's only out for Macs. I don't have a Mac.

14. LudaKirs macrumors newbie

Remove sim card maybe?

Is this just happening with people who have the 3G, or both? and what about just removing the sim card before restoring...actually I don't think that would work, and im tired of restoring my ipad, so if someone else wants to give it A go, let me know...chances are it won't work though.

15. LIV2 macrumors newbie

pulling the sim out doesn't work
    Redsn0w doesn't work, crashes at the activation stage

16. cRuNcHiE macrumors 6502a

This could pose to be a bit of a problem if you upgraded to 4.3 beta and were intending to sell later on just before the ipad2 comes out.

Unless it let's us downgrade to 4.2.5 when that's out

17. maik005 macrumors member

Hello,

same problem here.
    I have an iPad and an iPhone 4.
    Both are running iOS 4.3 beta1.

Only the iPad is registered in a Developer Account.

Now when I try to go back to 4.2.1 on my iPad it gets stuck at the recovery screen, because it could not downgrade the Baseband.

BUT, if I try to Downgrade my iPhone 4 from 4.3 Beta 1 to 4.2.1 - It works! And more, it also Downgrades the Baseband!!

I have tried all things mentioned above but nothing helped me with my iPad.

Sorry for my bad english!

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Ok, here's some helpful advise, log on to your developer account and request some help, you are a developer, I'm sure :cool:
    To communicate the issues of loading an unreleased update and asking for help :rolleyes:

19. fowler. macrumors 6502a

fowler.

I'm not a developer and decided to try and be all cool this morning by installing the beta on my 3g. So, the consensus is wait for it to actually be released?

Jesus...

20. fowler. macrumors 6502a

fowler.

Well, Apple was kind enough to replace my iPad... Probably cause the genius wanted to mess with 4.3 himself. So, lesson learned. :)

21. tonyunreal macrumors regular

tonyunreal

Just a thought. When you guys tried restoring to 4.2.1, did you remove the record for cydia signature server from your "hosts" file first?

22. cRuNcHiE macrumors 6502a

Has anyone noticed that in the Xcode organizer it also has a restore option for the ipad?

It has a drop down box that lets you choose a firmware file then the RESTORE button is available.

gotta be worth a try?

Mine is currently on 4.3B1

Attached Files:

23. hillepille macrumors newbie

i tried several times to retsore my ipad 4.3 to 4.2.1 with xcode. it stops saying can't change baseband back and failure 1015. i tried to restore to 3.2.2 that worked fine, but then i couldn't update to 4.2.1.

24. jorous macrumors newbie

Has anyone tried to restore to ios 4.2 GM version

25. cRuNcHiE macrumors 6502a

I wonder if we can remove the 4.2.1 baseband from the ipsw?

http://wikee.iphwn.org/howto:removellb

Might be worth a try, if pwnagetool worked with the iPad I expect you could just create a custom ipsw and restore to that?