Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Inframan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 18, 2013
Los Angeles, California
I did exactly what you showed and i can successfully receive SMS BUT when I reply to that person that sent me and SMS (and he has iMessage but can't use it offline) it sends it to them as iMessage.. (and there is a little red exclamation point showing me "message can't be sent")

The person Im using to test them as an iPhone with iMessage turned on, BUT turned off there wifi and 3g....

WHAT DO I DO????
(sorry for the crappy explanation...hope you understand me)

I think you need to test it with someone who doesn't have an iPhone. Im pretty sure that this would cause some sort off conflict because you're trying to use iMessage to send a SMS to an iPhone that has iMessage turned off. Give that a shot for now...

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
Kind of a stupid question, but will messages from the same contact sort itself in the same thread regardless which address they use? I really don't want to have separate conversations clogging up the messages app...
Not a stupid question at all. In theory everything should be merged, but in practice - unless iOS 8.1 has fixed this - it didn't work that nicely. Messages on OS X properly merged conversations, but on iOS I always experienced split conversations. It wouldn't normally be an issue, because once a conversation is started then it will continue that way, unless someone intentionally starts a new conversation to your other contact information. Every now and then, however, my phone would message a reply to someone using my other information, instead of my phone number. It was a nuisance normally, but it became horrific in group conversations. It was for this reason that I (and I suspect, many others) disabled their email addresses for messaging and set all of their devices to only use their phone numbers.

SMS forwarding is a good enough feature that I'm willing to risk it. Let's hope that Apple has gotten it right this time.

Inframan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 18, 2013
Los Angeles, California
I figured it out earlier... when in doubt, restart EVERYTHING! Works like a charm.

I agree. Rebooting works wonders :D

----------

Can't get this to work on my iPad. I followed steps, enabled on both and turn it on on the phone but my iPad never gets the code.

I don't think its supposed to work on an iPad? iPads don't have SMS text messaging capabilities, only iMessage works with iPad and it uses Wifi or the cellular chipset built into the iPad. I could be wrong, keep searching the threads for more answers. Good Luck!

This is directly from Apples website:

With OS X Yosemite and an iPhone running iOS 8, you can send and receive SMS text messages right from your Mac. So when friends text you — regardless of what phone they have — you can respond from your Mac or your iPhone, whichever is closest.2 All the messages that appear on your iPhone now appear on your Mac, too, so your conversation is up to date on all your devices. You can also start an SMS or iMessage conversation on your Mac by clicking a phone number in Safari, Contacts, Calendar, or Spotlight.

GaresTaylan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2009
So I got it enabled on my iPad and tested one fine. Then 5 minutes later I got another text and it didn't forward. I go to check my text forwarding settings and it shut itself off for the iPad. WTF.

I also have some devices showing up like 3 times in my list. I wonder if its because Ive been signed into iMessage on say my MBP over the years through multiple versions of OSX. Where does this list populate from?

Aragornii

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
Glad I found this thread. SMS forwarding worked immediately on my rMBP, but I couldn't get the code to show on on my iPad. Turning off and rebooting fixed that.

larspetterh

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2014
Norway
Prior this guide I activated Text forwarding on my iPhone and I was able to verify the connection between Mac and iPhone and was able to receive SMS on my Mac. However I didn't have the option to reply or send new SMS.

This guide helped me! It works like a charm.

But, if I now decide to disable all of my email addresses will it still be working?

StevenWalker

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2014
Actually though, your image in your post highlighted an issue for me.

I have NO Group Messaging selection to choose - it simply doesn't exist.

Any ideas anyone on why, and how to make it appear? (i5s)

IMG_0348.png

ds705

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2013
Idk why, but it's not working for me at all.

Amazingly worked after I posted this, had to close messages on my mac like 10 times and it finally popped up.

Last edited:

dugbug

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2008
Somewhere in Florida
I just figured out my problem with iOS 8.1: it requires that both FaceTime and iMessage have an email address selected in addition to the phone #. In 8.0 I just used my phone #.

VERY FRUSTRATING.

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
I've tried to do this process a few times and I'm not getting an activation code nor do I have the menu option for text message forwarding? All devices are up to date Yosemite and iOS 8.1

Kuroz

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2013
Any toughts on why you must use an e-mail adress? I tried with just my cell number but its a no go as far as I can tell.

Even if I set it up with my e-mail and cell number on both my phone and my mac and then remove my email from both settings, as soon as I un-tick the e-mail adress it stops working.

I got mines working by setting it up with a phone number and email then connecting the text message forwarding. Afterwards i just removed the email and it still forwards it to my devices.

On the mac and ipad you dont have to add the email just the phone number. Its just the iphone that requires the email some reason for me.

Nguyen.

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2014
First try and it partially works. I can receive SMS text on my Macbook and I can see my messages sent from my phone to SMS people. However, I can't send from my Macbook, it just says not Delivered. So close.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
I have a similar issue, only worse! How do we get rid of all these?:
I suspect it might have something to do with the devices associated with your iCloud account. If you log in to iCloud.com you can see the devices if you use "Find my iPhone." You can remove them from there, but I don't know if that's good enough. Under the "Settings" there's a pane that is supposed to display all of your devices, but at the moment I can't get it to work; it's just saying "Could not load devices."

freudflintstone

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2014
I've restarted my phone several times to no avail. I don't get the option to "forward SMS messages". I've signed out of iMessage on both my Mac and my iPhone. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
I've restarted my phone several times to no avail. I don't get the option to "forward SMS messages". I've signed out of iMessage on both my Mac and my iPhone. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong
Running iOS 8.1 on your phone? OS X 10.10 on your Mac? Are both using the same AppleID?

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest

I turned off my computers and then turned off iMessage on my phone and then did a hard restart and it seemed to work then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.