How to extend Safari windows beyond the dock?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by 1madapple, Jan 27, 2008.

1. 1madapple macrumors member

1madapple

Hi all, i know of the right corner feature.. but i can still see my desktop background. I'm wondering how to move it back beyond the dock, i know this can be done because sometimes when i use the right corner tab it does let me extend the Safari screen beyond the dock.
    So the result is a full page, but the dock is still there and it does not show my desktop wallpaper.
    Anyone know why it sometimes let me do that, and how to do that on my own?

2. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

If you set the Dock to auto-hide (or just hide it), you can extend Safari all the way down and still access the Dock when you want. FYI, Firefox will let you extend it all the way to the bottom regardless of the Dock auto-hide being enabled or disabled.

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

What if you hide the dock? I'm typing in a window that extends from the menubar to the bottom of the screen. If I need the dock, I just hover the mouse at the bottom of the screen.

4. 1madapple thread starter macrumors member

1madapple

I appreciate your replies, i will try that. :) Thanks
    I will still wonder though why it lets me do that.. sometimes :confused:

5. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

Maybe you are remembering Tiger?

Safari used to let you do that on Tiger I think. As for me, it used to drive me crazy that you could do that. Nothing worse than hitting the green button and having the bottom re-sizing corner completely inaccessible behind the dock. Then you would have to hide the dock to re-size the window, and then unhide the dock. Grrr! :(

Also a lot of non-Apple Mac programs allowed you to do that initially even though the guideline was to take the presence or non-presence of the dock into account.

As programs are upgraded to the OS-X standard from the original OS-9 guidelines, they are supposed to not go down into the dock unless the user has set the dock to auto-hide or the dock is not there.

6. 1madapple thread starter macrumors member

1madapple

Hi Virgil-TB2,
    Thank you for your reply. No i have never had Tiger, i have purchased my first Macbook last month.. and this is how it just is, i am still learning things about it but i know i haven't altered the those settings yet...
    Strange. :confused:

7. 1madapple thread starter macrumors member

1madapple

Hello. It's been a while and I still haven't figured out how this is done but as you can see in the picture, it is possible.
    I was doing some things with the windows, minimizing and maximizing back and fourth when the window allowed me to pull it all the way down under the dock. I have gone to some sites like that and it remained that way until I clicked on the Yahoo bookmarked icon, then the window returned to it's original place, above the dock.
    Anyone have any idea how I can pull the Safari window under the dock?

[​IMG]