How to fix Canon software install after SL

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jmpage2, Aug 28, 2009.

1. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Just upgraded to SL and all was well until I tried to print something. SL showed no printers installed and failed to find my networked Canon MX860 (it did find an MX860 bonjour scanner but that didn't do me any good).

SL has a built in MX860 driver but it was worthless for connecting to my networked MX860. When I tried pointing to the MX860 IP address it simply failed to identify the printer, maybe someone else knows how to get this working with the built in SL software and drivers, would be good to know.

So after pulling hair out around this for a few hours here is what I ultimately did to fix it;

1. Make sure you are on the latest version of the Navigator software, ij network assistant software, etc. This is a pain because Canon doesn't have a single package that updates ALL of these, you have to do them one at a time AND REBOOT AFTER EACH which is a giant pain in the ass.

2. Download all of the Canon print drivers (there's a CUPS driver, a general print driver and a SCANNER driver, get all of them).

3. Click on the Canon ij Network Utility in the OS X menu bar and remove any existing printer and scanner references.

4. Install the SCANNER drivers.

5. Click on Canon IJ Network Utility and re-select and enable your scanner. Your scanner works now. Too bad your printer doesn't.

6. Mount the disc image for both of the printer driver packages by double clicking them. Drag each installer package to the desktop. CTRL-Click the package and choose "show package contents". Navigate into the package RESOURCE folder.

7. Delete the "Installation Check" file.

8. Install the drivers. Do this with both driver installation packages (I'm not sure if this is really necessary but I had some problems until both were installed).

9. Open up the system preferences -> Printers, right click in the printer area and choose "reset printing system".

10. Add your printer, it should now be showing up again and should be working.

I curse how hard this was to fix. Canon should be ashamed of themselves for not being on the stick with an update that would have taken care of all this.

Best of luck!

2. tdaniels033 macrumors newbie

I am relatively new to the Mac world, and don't know how to find the Cannon files you indicate need to be updated to see if I have the latest versions. I know how to get this info on a PC. Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thx

3. Keleko macrumors 68000

I had MUCH less difficulty with my MP620 drivers. I downloaded the single driver file from Cannon. I ran the install. I rebooted. I added the printer from "Additional Printers" on the Canon IJ network. I added the scanner from Bonjour Scanners. Done.

4. jmpage2 thread starter macrumors 68030

jmpage2

www.canonusa.com

Go to the downloads section and select your printer/scanner/multifunction model number from the drop down list.

Go to Mac OS X software and download the appropriate drivers.

5. jmpage2 thread starter macrumors 68030

jmpage2

That's good to know and I can't say that I might not have had less trouble if I had started with one driver package, installed, rebooted, reset the print manager, etc.

Ultimately though users who are using Canon wireless printers will almost definitely need to reload at least the printer drivers using the method I describe above in which they delete the package dependency check from the installer and then load the Canon drivers onto Snow Leopard since they won't install otherwise.

6. jmpage2 thread starter macrumors 68030

jmpage2

As far as knowing what versions of the programs you already have on your mac. Just open up MP Navigator EX (for example) and choose About MP Navigator from the menu bar. This will tell you what version you are currently on.

7. macinsanity macrumors member

Worked for me!

Great work. This worked like a charm for me. I don't know what the hell Apple was thinking, or if there were thinking, by giving us the "new" driver which doesn't even support wireless.

The sell the MX860 in Apple stores which is why so many have it. Its also meant to be a wireless printer and most people probably used it wirelessly until Snow Leopard. Rediculous!

8. tdaniels033 macrumors newbie

I am struggling. I downloaded all the latest and got to step 7, but it will not let me delete the "installation Check" file with either the delete button or when I try to drag it to trash at which point it tells me that I cannot delete the installation check file.

Any more help would be appreciated.

9. macinsanity macrumors member

Make sure you did this from step 6..."Drag each package to the desktop". Then show package contents on the copy which is on your desktop. It sounds like you are trying to edit the package file that is located in the read-only dmg.

10. tdaniels033 macrumors newbie

I dragged the package to my desktop from the downloads and it does comes as a dmg. How else should I do this please?

11. macinsanity macrumors member

Reread Step 6.

You have you mount the DMG files then drag the .pkg files out to your desktop. Then "show package contents", then go to the resource folder.

12. tdaniels033 macrumors newbie

GOT IT ! GOT IT!!

You guys are the best. Thanks to the person offering the solution as well as for the person helping me understand all the instructions.

This is a pretty big accomplishment for someone of my technical abilities.

I am now printing wirelessly again from the network instead of connected through USB

Thanks again.

13. jmpage2 thread starter macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Enhanced instructions for step 6 a bit, glad this has helped some people.

14. tdaniels033 macrumors newbie

BTW, how did you figure out that the installation checklist file was the culprit?

Regards

15. jmpage2 thread starter macrumors 68030

jmpage2

There's a log somewhere that indicates the package failed a version check. From that it's a short hop to "this version check thing is probably causing issues".

16. pnymac09 macrumors newbie

Can not find Installation Check file in MF4680 driver

I could not find the Installation Check file when installing the MF4680, do your guys have any clue? Thanks:eek:

17. don731 macrumors newbie

I was able to accomplish this reinstall of the MX700 drivers successfully without trashing the installation check file. My MX700 is connected to my network via ethernet, and it prints fine now when my computer is either on ethernet or wifi.
    Otherwise I followed the instructions listed in this thread.

Thanks to all who have helped to figure this out.

18. Zygon Gambit macrumors regular

Thanks very much for posting this; it worked a treat for my networked 5200R.

19. dbalone macrumors member

This might not be as involved as some are making it too be. I have an older Canon Pixma MP500 which after my upgrade was not showing up. Worried at first I ended up unplugging the power and usb then plugged them both in and actually turned the printer on and it showed up.

20. ClarePNW macrumors newbie

Thank you so much, jmpage2! The trick was to delete the "Installation Check" file and to right click and "reset printing system". Never would have gotten there myself. Good to have my MX860 printing wirelessly again.
    Clare

21. Zygon Gambit macrumors regular

My Canon worked fine with USB, but the wireless connection to it no longer worked for printing. It was the wireless problem that this method fixed.

22. jmpage2 thread starter macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Did you have to reinstall the Canon drivers to get it to work or did it work with the built in drivers from Snow Leopard?

23. jmpage2 thread starter macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Just wanted to update the thread.

Looks like Canon, last night, released new, SL compatible versions of the Scanner, CUPS Printer Drivers and IJ utility.

I would recommend users simply try installing these packages after a Snow Leopard upgrade, as they should keep you from having to do the workarounds mentioned in the first post.

24. eliaxoman macrumors newbie

Drivers crazy

Hello everyone. I have tried all steps, and although the printer prints as it should, the drivers are not loaded; i.e. if I go to "options and supplies" (for the canon 860 under print & fax) and click drivers, it does not show me ANY options. Therefore I cannot use any of the printer's advanced features. The dropdown menu does say Canon MX860 series but there is nothing underneath. Any help would be awesome.

Thanks in advance

25. jmpage2 thread starter macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Have you loaded the new MX860 series drivers Canon released this week for 10.6.0?

It's worth noting that the ink levels, etc, never worked on my Leopard installation but started working after I had to reload them for Snow Leopard.