How to fix Macbook Screen Quality!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by pyromaniaque, Mar 23, 2009.

1. pyromaniaque macrumors 6502

For those of you that consistently read the Macbook Pro forum, you may have already heard of the Techrestore Matte Service.

For those of you that don't:
    Techrestore essentially removes the glass from your Macbook, puts in a HQ matte screen. Then they make a matte black bezel to go around it.

The pictures look great. And it's like on youtube and MacWorld and stuff... It was even ZDNET's best in show.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=646510
    http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=2763
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icf3BCxeGbo

[sideline3's techrestored macbook pro]
    [​IMG]

"I love mine, definitely worth the upgrade." - semitry

2. Kavik macrumors member

Has anyone had this service done on a MacBook yet (as opposed to the MacBook Pro) and able to report on the LCD quality?

3. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

There have been mixed reviews in terms of craftsmanship with the final product.

You seem very obsessed with the MB screens lately though OP ;)

4. pyromaniaque thread starter macrumors 6502

OP?

5. chuckcalo macrumors regular

He was referring to you, Original Poster.

6. Green-Goblin macrumors newbie

I just went into the apple store and asked for an anti-gloss filter for my alu macbook.
    They work great at just 25$ Try em' out

7. kasakka macrumors 68000

It seems that the panel is still the crappy no-viewing angles thingy. To me this would be a good service if they replaced it with the Air panel for example.

8. pyromaniaque thread starter macrumors 6502

You have no basis for that comment, as the picture above is clearly a Macbook Pro, not the Macbook with the "crappy no-viewing angles thingy".

9. skorpien macrumors 68020

I'm confused. The only way you could improve the quality of the screen is to replace the panel itself. Otherwise having this techrestore service would only add the matte option to your MB, and would be pretty much the same as getting an anti-glare film installed on it.

Yes, I know I have no basis for my assumption, but it's obvious that the MB's screen is inferior to the MBA's screen when compared side by side. I'm willing to bet that a techrestored MBA's screen will have better viewing angles, contrast, etc. than that of a techrestored MB's screen if the panels are kept the same. As another poster mentioned, if they offered the service to replace the MB's panel with the MBA's panel, then that would indeed be fixing the quality of the MB's screen.

I'd actually be willing to get this service if they offered a panel swap and kept the gloss on it. I don't have much use for the matte option. I just want better viewing angles.

10. kasakka macrumors 68000

I didn't refer to the picture at all, went to the TechRestore website and they state that it's the exact same panel, just not glossy. So if you want to replace your Macbook screen you'll get a non-glossy crap panel back. There is of course the possibility that the non-glossy panel is not the same.

To me the gloss isn't the problem, it's the Macbook panels.

11. pyromaniaque thread starter macrumors 6502

It says right here in the little faq section:
    "Can I keep my old, glossy screen?
    Now, why would you want that shiny screen if you're replacing it with a matte screen? :) Seriously though, the low price of the Matte Finish Upgrade requires a trade-in of your existing screen."

12. skorpien macrumors 68020

I think you're getting confused. The service is to replace the glass covering the LCD panel, not the LCD panel itself. You'll still have the same LCD panel with the same viewing angle problems, but it'll just be matte instead.

13. Kavik macrumors member

My understanding is that TechRestore are replacing both the glass and glossy LCD display with a replacement matte LED LCD display with similar specs (brightness, color depth, etc) and a custom bezel which provides some of the structural integrity that you lose when the glass is gone. The reason the price is so low (for parts and labor) is because they get to use *your* glass and glossy LCD for their normal MacBook screen repairs for which they charge $599.

That being said, I would love to see how the matte LCD stacks up against stock Apple screens.

14. skorpien macrumors 68020

I stand corrected. It seems like it is an entirely new LCD panel.

I too would be interested to see how it stacks up. There's nothing more annoying than watching DVDs and having to keep your neck and the MacBook perfectly still...

15. Formativeyears macrumors member

I had this done to my 13" Macbook and I am extremely satisfied with the final result. There are absolutely no cosmetic issues around the screen (like in the Macworld article) and the matte bezel looks wonderful. Plus the matte screen looks fantastic. I think it looks worlds better than the glass-covered factory version. Everything just seems much clearer and sharp. The colors seem more vibrant too. I highly recommend this service to anyone who is on the fence.

Edit: I can post pictures later if anyone is interested.

16. skorpien macrumors 68020

I would be very interested in pics, please. Have you noticed an improvement in viewing angles?

17. pyromaniaque thread starter macrumors 6502

And yes, YOU <--- were corrected. The LCD IS glossy
    :)
    Maybe you should have read a bit more on that site.

18. pyromaniaque thread starter macrumors 6502

My point is reaffirmed. The techrestore service works.

19. Nocturnal22 macrumors 6502

I think ill keep my glossy that matte finish looks way ugly i couldnt and wouldnt do that if someone even paid for it

20. Kavik macrumors member

Good to know...thanks for the info. I'd be interested to see pictures as well. :D

21. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I put in an order for that service, but I wasn't ready to lose my computer for a week.

22. Formativeyears macrumors member

23. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

Do these cats offer any warranty on the new screen? Does anyone know how this service would effect the existing applecare or warranty?

24. skorpien macrumors 68020

Thanks Formativeyears, that looks pretty good actually. If I may make a request, could you possibly show pictures of the screen at different angles?
    On their website, they say that they offer 1 year warranty on the screen, and you can purchase up to an additional 2 years (making a total of 3, just like AppleCare). They also claim that no manufacturer has refused warranty service on machines that have had the techrestore service, and if for some reason they do, to contact them so they can take care of it.

I'm not sure if Apple would see it this way, but it should be just like a RAM or HDD upgrade. Other parts should be covered under AppleCare, but if it has something to do with the display itself, they just won't cover it. If you look at the AppleCare documentation, it states that any damage resultant from unauthorized service, repair, or modifications won't be covered. But the way I see it, if a logic board craps out, unless they can prove it was directly related to the display, they should still cover it. After all, it's not like water damage that would affect any component of the laptop, right?

By the way, this is just me trying to be optimistic so I can pursuade myself to go with this service :p