Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lawful

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2012
I've tried Apple explanation and it didn't work: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207584

My mistake was to erase all volumes with Disk Utility to perform a fresh install and now I don't know how to fix muy Fusion Drive. Thank in advance for reading my post and for your time.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
My mistake was to erase all volumes with Disk Utility to perform a fresh install and now I don't know how to fix muy Fusion Drive. Thank in advance for reading my post and for your time.
You say you've followed Apple's instructions - what went wrong in that process?
Please post the output of diskutil list

Beware that re-fusing will erase all data.

lawful

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2012
You say you've followed Apple's instructions - what went wrong in that process?
Please post the output of diskutil list

Beware that re-fusing will erase all data.

Thank you for your help

IMG_0137.JPG

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Reactions: lawful

lawful

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2012

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark

Run the following commands in order. If you get an error, stop, and post it.

diskutil ap deleteContainer disk2
diskutil ap createContainer -main disk0 -secondary disk1

You've now created an APFS container fusing the drives. We aren't quite done though, cause there's no volume in the container
Run diskutil list again, and locate the one named "synthesised". In your last screenshot it was disk3, but it may have changed now - that's why you need to run and check again. Then run

diskutil ap addVolume disk# APFS [name of new drive]
replacing # by the number of the synthesised disk and [name of new drive] with the name you'd like for the volume. If you want spaces in the name, but it in quotes "".

lawful

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2012
Run the following commands in order. If you get an error, stop, and post it.

diskutil ap deleteContainer disk2
diskutil ap createContainer -main disk0 -secondary disk1

You've now created an APFS container fusing the drives. We aren't quite done though, cause there's no volume in the container
Run diskutil list again, and locate the one named "synthesised". In your last screenshot it was disk3, but it may have changed now - that's why you need to run and check again. Then run

diskutil ap addVolume disk# APFS [name of new drive]
replacing # by the number of the synthesised disk and [name of new drive] with the name you'd like for the volume. If you want spaces in the name, but it in quotes "".

I did already solve it!! Thank you very much

Jafrican

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2019
I am having a similar problem with my 4K iMac with 1TB Fusion drive. It was so slow so I started looking for solutions and realised that the Fusion drive might not be working. I saw two drives in Finder and thought I found the Problem. When I tried l diskutil resetFusion in recovery mode it tells me I don’t have a SSD although Disk Utility shows one. Also, I have a strange result when I type diskutil list. It shows 23 (!) disks.
What am I doing wrong?
15D5D1DB-EC39-465C-932A-07285BF0B141.jpeg

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I am having a similar problem with my 4K iMac with 1TB Fusion drive. It was so slow so I started looking for solutions and realised that the Fusion drive might not be working. I saw two drives in Finder and thought I found the Problem. When I tried l diskutil resetFusion in recovery mode it tells me I don’t have a SSD although Disk Utility shows one. Also, I have a strange result when I type diskutil list. It shows 23 (!) disks.
What am I doing wrong?
View attachment 874052

That's not weird as such. Disks include virtual disks, and when you're booted in recovery mode, there's a lot of those. I never counted how many I usually get cause I only look at the important ones.
In your case that'd be disk0, your HDD, disk1, your SSD, disk3 and disk4.
Now; Normally a Fusion drive on APFS will have a single APFS container shared between both physical drives. In your case they have one each. Tear them both down (you'll lose all data as I suspect you know trying to reset a fusion), and make a new container that they share. diskutil ap will show a list of commands. If you want more specific step-by-step I can look into the necessary commands for you, but you should be able to deduce it from the command listing and help pages diskutil ap offers, if you have some familiarity with CLI programs (CLI=command line interface)

nambuccaheadsau

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2007
Blue Mountains NSW Australia
Using Mojave and an APFS formatted drive requires a different procedure. Have a read of this as this is different for an HFS+ drive. Back up first as splitting erases the drives:-

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
It shows 23 (!) disks.
Don't worry about that.... it is normal and those are little virtual drives the recovery utility uses. Try formatting each drive first (backup first) the run the diskutil resetFusion command.

Are you on Mojave?

erajkowski

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2020
Screen Shot 2020-01-28 at 3.59.49 PM.png

help! attempted to downgrade from Catalina to Mojave using a USB boot disk and now my fusion drive is split and cannot see main HD with all my data except in Disk Utility, here is diskutil list above. I need to force remount in an attempt to save data is this possible? I know if i refuse then data will be lost.

Suggestions? Thanks!

(I am currently running yosemite off an SD card but HD are not visible)

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
View attachment 891098
help! attempted to downgrade from Catalina to Mojave using a USB boot disk and now my fusion drive is split and cannot see main HD with all my data except in Disk Utility, here is diskutil list above. I need to force remount in an attempt to save data is this possible? I know if i refuse then data will be lost.

Suggestions? Thanks!

(I am currently running yosemite off an SD card but HD are not visible)

You may need Catalina to interact with a drive that has been on Cataline. I don't have experience with doing it on older systems, so I'm only working off assumptions here, but Catalina automatically uses two container spaces for macOS instead of just one, and it wouldn't surprise me much if the specifics of APFS on Catalina are slightly different to prior to it.

You should never attempt a downgrade without having all your data backed up by the way. I would never even try downgrading an OS expecting to keep any data in the first place.

erajkowski

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2020
You may need Catalina to interact with a drive that has been on Cataline. I don't have experience with doing it on older systems, so I'm only working off assumptions here, but Catalina automatically uses two container spaces for macOS instead of just one, and it wouldn't surprise me much if the specifics of APFS on Catalina are slightly different to prior to it.

You should never attempt a downgrade without having all your data backed up by the way. I would never even try downgrading an OS expecting to keep any data in the first place.
Thanks for the quick response! I was able to view the HD after the initial downgrade by installing mojave on a small 10Gb partition but then after a reboot it tried to reinstall new os to the fusion drive which failed (not enough HD space) and now no HD visible or accessible, I guess ill try creating an external bootable drive with Catalina and see if its accessible first. Then just refuse with fresh install if not successful.

erajkowski

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2020
@casperes1996

Hey thanks again for the hint that the specifics of APFS on Catalina may not be able to read by an older OS, El Capitan was unable to view the HD at all but when I ran a Mojave bootable external I was able to view all my data.

Thanks so much again!

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
@casperes1996

Hey thanks again for the hint that the specifics of APFS on Catalina may not be able to read by an older OS, El Capitan was unable to view the HD at all but when I ran a Mojave bootable external I was able to view all my data.

Thanks so much again!

You're welcome. And as some of the greatest life quotes go:

1) Always clear all before an important calculation.
2) Always back up important stuff before messing with OS stuff
3) Always ask before wiping Windows and installing Linux on a friends' PC.

The three golden As.

EllieH

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2020
I know this is an old post, but hope I can get information. I have a 27" iMac Retina, Late 2014, iMac15,1 with a fusion drive. The drive was full, plus getting errors in both HDD and SDD, so I had them replaced. The technician started the install from my TimeMachine BackUp. When it finished, many hours later, there were two drives on the desktop and it was very slow. It was running Mojave, as before. I used Apple's "How to fix a split Fusion Drive" and it didn't work. I'm hoping that you can write out instructions for me. I'm enclosing 2 print outs from Terminal. Thank you very much.

Attachments

• Terminal 2020-08-20.pdf
    203.9 KB · Views: 168
  • Terminal 8-17-20.png
    Terminal 8-17-20.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 416
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.