Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JLH81

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2016
Hello,

What do you all use to clean the screen on your MBP's? I have tried several different cleaners made for laptop screens, and I have yet to use one that doesn't show awful streaks when the light hits the screen.

Can anyone recommend a good cleaner that doesn't smear? I really need some help!

Thanks!

myret

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2018
I bought an anti-fingerprint screen protector that does not change much the screen quality and get rid of reflection and finger print

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Egads.

If you have a retina display, the more you "clean it", the greater danger that the sprayed-on antiglare coating will start to flake off.

Hence, "StainGate".

The best scenario for "keeping your retina display in good shape" is to take pro-active steps to NOT GET IT DIRTY in the first place.

That means never touching it with your fingers, etc.

myret

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2018
Egads.

If you have a retina display, the more you "clean it", the greater danger that the sprayed-on antiglare coating will start to flake off.

Hence, "StainGate".

The best scenario for "keeping your retina display in good shape" is to take pro-active steps to NOT GET IT DIRTY in the first place.

Even though you don't touch it, while you are closing or opening the lid it gets accidentally fingerprints which irritates me.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Egads.

Hence, "StainGate".

Agreed. I've had my MBP for almost a year now and I've only had to clean the screen twice. I use humidity from breath and a t-shirt that I know is clean. That or a glasses cleaning cloth (dry) - only using my breath to provide moisture if needed. Screen is near perfect. I never touch it tho.
[doublepost=1556132632][/doublepost]
I use two microfiber cloths to clean my screen. One being a normal microfiber wet only with water for "cleaning" then another fine microfiber that's dry for "polishing". Works very well.

Perfect.

_Kiki_

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2017
I need clean my MBP once per month because I don't like dust particles on the screen, I use pure isopropyl alcohol and cloth for glasses, after 2 years my screen in MBP 15 2016 is still in perfect condition

Agreed. I've had my MBP for almost a year now and I've only had to clean the screen twice. I use humidity from breath and a t-shirt that I know is clean. That or a glasses cleaning cloth (dry) - only using my breath to provide moisture if needed. Screen is near perfect. I never touch it tho.
[doublepost=1556132632][/doublepost]

Perfect.

Two times per year? Do you work in cleanroom?

Reactions: myret and haydn!

LogicalApex

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2015
PA, USA
Two times per year? Do you work in cleanroom?

The screens I see in Starbucks suggest to me that many people have a very different level of what a clean screen is than I do. I clean my screens multiple times a week, but that's because I like them how I like my glasses. As clean as the day I pulled them out of the box.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
I have tried dozens of cleaners and cloths.

The BEST solution is a cloth called "SuperCloth", damp with regular water. Zero streaks! Look for them on Amazon. They're about $10/each, but they work amazingly well.

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
Egads.

Hence, "StainGate".

I don't think "dry cleaning", just wiping it down with a microfiber cloth, would be an issue, correct?

I was under the impression only chemical use and water will strip the coating.

Even if you don't touch the screen, you will still get some keyboard imprint that should be removed.
[doublepost=1556365961][/doublepost]
I bought an anti-fingerprint screen protector that does not change much the screen quality and get rid of reflection and finger print
Would you happen to have a link?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Glock wrote:
"I don't think "dry cleaning", just wiping it down with a microfiber cloth, would be an issue, correct?"

I think that would be THE WORST THING you could do.
The anti-glare coating is just sprayed-on micro-particles.
Wipe it down "dry", and you're creating friction which could scrape them off.

"Even if you don't touch the screen, you will still get some keyboard imprint that should be removed."

My 2015 MBP is now 2.5 years old (bought it in Dec. 2016).
I NEVER "clean the screen", dry or wet.
Well.. a couple of times I've used a water-moistened cloth VERY GENTLY on a particle or two that I couldn't "dust away" (lightly "dust" a cloth across the surface, NO pressure).

It still looks fine.
No keyboard "imprints" at all, ever.

Do you carry the MPB in a backpack?
That's probably where "the imprints" are coming from.

Last edited:
Reactions: puma1552

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
You guys are all wasting your money on chemicals and cleaners when the obvious solution is all around you.

Literally all you need is a lightly damp, lint-free cloth/microfiber. Not sure what kind of scum you all have where you need something other than just basic clean water...

But yes, with all MBPs 2012+, you want to be sure to clean it as little as possible, and when you do, as gently as possible. I generally keep my screen very clean and only very, very lightly wipe away tiny dots on the screen as gently as possible. I also use a Radtech Microfiber between the keys and screen when the laptop is closed. 5 months in, screen is flawless.

myret

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2018
I don't think "dry cleaning", just wiping it down with a microfiber cloth, would be an issue, correct?

I was under the impression only chemical use and water will strip the coating.

Even if you don't touch the screen, you will still get some keyboard imprint that should be removed.
[doublepost=1556365961][/doublepost]
Would you happen to have a link?
I use this one :
MyGadget Display Schutz Folie [Matt] für Apple MacBook Pro 13" (ab 2016) mit USB C - Bildschirm Schutzfolie Displayschutz Anti Fingerabdruck Entspieg https://www.amazon.de/dp/B06W521DC4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_Is9kVobLHMLEF

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
Glock wrote:
"I don't think "dry cleaning", just wiping it down with a microfiber cloth, would be an issue, correct?"

I think that would be THE WORST THING you could do.
The anti-glare coating is just sprayed-on micro-particles.
Wipe it down "dry", and you're creating friction which could scrape them off.

"Even if you don't touch the screen, you will still get some keyboard imprint that should be removed."

My 2015 MBP is now 2.5 years old (bought it in Dec. 2016).
I NEVER "clean the screen", dry or wet.
Well.. a couple of times I've used a water-moistened cloth VERY GENTLY on a particle or two that I couldn't "dust away" (lightly "dust" a cloth across the surface, NO pressure).

It still looks fine.
No keyboard "imprints" at all, ever.

Do you carry the MPB in a backpack?
That's probably where "the imprints" are coming from.
A messenger mag, back and forth to work most weekdays.

TheGenerous

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2010
I'm an Austronaut
I guess - I've only used water/breath 2 times in the last year. I've dusted off my screen with a dry-tshirt probably 3-4 times on top of that.

Probably helps I use my laptop next to a monitor setup so it sits farther away from me than most. Didn't think of that till now.

I also have cleaned my bathroom only twice o far

LogicalApex

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2015
PA, USA

I wouldn't recommend dry wiping any screen... You'd only risk scratching it with the dust and dirt that is on screen already that you're aiming to remove.

I do a two step process (across the whole machine and screen) as I mentioned earlier. My two step process is basic, but ensures I do the least amount of damage while cleaning as much as possible.

The damp microfiber isn't used to heavily clean or scrub, but to trap and pull off any dust and loose particles that may be on the screen or laptop. Then the second dry polishing cloth is used to actually clean the screen and ensure it is clear.

If you're going to do it dry I would highly suggest at least brushing the screen off first with a lens brush or something... But that seems like a lot of tedious work. I clean my whole laptop in 1 -2 minutes tops...

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
If you're going to use a dry cleaning cloth - lightly brush to break loose dust. Should not be using any pressure at all. For anything that won't dislodge with a slight brush of a dry cloth, liquid / humidity has to get involved and even then, very little if any pressure should be used.

My wife and I have not had any issues with key imprints on our screens? We use a nice padded sleeve for the laptop whenever we carry it in our backpacks.

As for the keyboard. I'm constantly scrubbing that down to remove the glossy key look. I clean that once or twice a week.

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
If you're going to use a dry cleaning cloth - lightly brush to break loose dust. Should not be using any pressure at all. For anything that won't dislodge with a slight brush of a dry cloth, liquid / humidity has to get involved and even then, very little if any pressure should be used.

My wife and I have not had any issues with key imprints on our screens? We use a nice padded sleeve for the laptop whenever we carry it in our backpacks.

As for the keyboard. I'm constantly scrubbing that down to remove the glossy key look. I clean that once or twice a week.
This has been a very helpful thread--thank you!

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
WHOOSH! Award-Winning Screen Cleaner – Safe for All Screens – Smartphones, iPads, Eyeglasses, Kindle, LED, LCD & TVs – Includes 1 Oz Bottle + 1 Premium Microfiber Cloth https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DOPW5K6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_mQBXCb7GH8MAN

Best stuff if the world.
Will they pay the cost to replace or repair the screen if the product damages it? Sort of tongue and cheek, but if it doesn't work or more importantly, causes damage, it'd be an expensive mistake.

Lee_Bo

Cancelled
Mar 26, 2017
Will they pay the cost to replace or repair the screen if the product damages it? Sort of tongue and cheek, but if it doesn't work or more importantly, causes damage, it'd be an expensive mistake.

Will the manufacturer of your phone case pay for any "damages" to your phone? Will your shoe manufacturer pay for the bandaids when you get blisters from hiking?

Reactions: LogicalApex

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
I have a cloth that fits in between the keyboard and the screen when it’s closed. I also put a dust cover on my iMac when I’m not using it. When I need to clean a spot or wipe some dust I use a microfiber cloth. For stubborn spots I’ll use my breath to fog up the area and wipe.. maybe lay the MacBook on its back. I don’t think I’ve ever had to do more than that with my MacBook and iMac screens, and they stay very clean.

Last edited:

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
Will the manufacturer of your phone case pay for any "damages" to your phone? Will your shoe manufacturer pay for the bandaids when you get blisters from hiking?
No, but ubiquitous cases from well-known manufacturers have a certain amount of credibility and trustworthiness.

The thing you linked to.... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

coldwaves

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2011
Similar to several others commented in this thread, I use a damp microfiber towel to wipe the screen first and then a dry one to wipe it again to remove any streaks. If I am lazy, I just use the damp towel to wipe the screen. They do leave streaks but I hardly notice them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.