How to get a FREE Bumper from Apple

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by iphone3gss, Jul 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iphone3gss macrumors member

I called a few days ago when I was annoyed about the constant drop calls I've experienced. At the IVR prompt, I asked for "Customer service." The person I talked to pretended to know nothing about the reception problems. The supervisor I talked to also claimed to know nothing about the problem. I ended up giving up. Then I got annoyed with another dropped call and called back a day later. The results were the same.

Today, I drove to the Apple Store after confirming they had bumpers in stock. When I got there, they were out of stock. I was so irritated, that I decided to just return the phone. I called Apple, and at the IVR prompt, I asked for "Return Phone." I had to wait longer than before to reach someone that does returns. I gave them my phone number, and they looked up my order. After I confirmed my address, they asked why I was returning the phone. I let them know that I've had a LOT of dropped calls, and that I was also frustrated that I drove to the Apple Store and they didn't have the bumpers. She asked if I would like to try out a bumper to see if it solved the reception problems, and she would send it to me for free. I said yes, and now have one on the way. She also setup the return of the phone in case it doesn't fix it.

I know we've all read the script about not giving away bumpers, but I think that is just for "tech support" calls. If you call to return the phone, they must be given more authority. This isn't unusual, the same thing happens when you cancel or return other items or services. Usually the "returns" department is also the retention department.

I hope this helps someone. If you're not having any issues, please don't abuse this just to get a free bumper, which will just delay people with problems from getting their bumper.

2. xanadeath macrumors 6502

xanadeath

Since then though theyev pretty much been specifically instructed not to run around giving away free bumpers.

Xanadeath

3. cloudberrybrew macrumors regular

Can we delete all these posts....they're getting annoying.

4. iphone3gss thread starter macrumors member

This was a few minutes ago on July 1.

If this isn't helpful to you or you aren't having reception problems... why even comment?

5. Munitalp macrumors 65816

6. iphone3gss thread starter macrumors member

Reread the original post. I called to return the phone. They asked if they could send me a bumper to fix the problem.

7. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

Oh, yeah? well you can get a free apple pie to from McDonald's if you order through the drive-thru, get your order, then park your car and go inside and say you ordered 2 cheeseburgers but you only got 1. They'll actually give you a "free" apple pie...

8. iphone3gss thread starter macrumors member

Your analogy makes no sense. For it to make sense, I would have had to of ordered an iPhone 4 AND a bumper. Then I would call and claim that I didn't receive the bumper.

9. iphone3gss thread starter macrumors member

10. h00ligan macrumors 68030

I asked att what my return window was, they credited my bill over $60 since 'cases are expensive'

to be honest, I'm a tall dude, and no way i can hold the phone without the issue.. the bumper fixed it but i'm pissed apple got that money.

11. cloudberrybrew macrumors regular

Apple made a statement to all of their employees not to send free bumpers. They don't have the power to. If you get a free bumper, assume someone was fired.

12. iphone3gss thread starter macrumors member

That was the training document for AppleCare. I'm sure the returns department have their own policy and more authority to do things like this.

13. ItsGavinC macrumors 6502

Or you could stop trying to defraud the company and just return the phone. Or buy a bumper. Or enjoy your free bumper but don't post as to how you think others can swindle a free bumper.

Sheesh, what a society we live in.

14. woosah macrumors regular

woosah

It's because (lazy?) people relentlessly start new threads on the same topics, same complaints, or the same story every day and quite frankly, it's annoying.

There is a search feature, nobody uses it, so when these repeat threads appear, they get sarcastic replies.

My thoughts anyway.

15. allinon72 macrumors newbie

Yeah because if everyone does exactly what you did, they will get a free bumper :rolleyes:

You got lucky, plain and simple.

16. iphone3gss thread starter macrumors member

Did you just completely skip over the part where I said I called to return the phone? They asked if they could send me a bumper for free to see if it would fix the problem.

You all show your immaturity and complete lack of understanding of how the business world works when you post things like this. If you call to ask for a free bumper, you are a customer asking for a freebie. When you call to return, you are asking to no longer be a customer. It costs a lot to obtain customers. Companies will try to win you back. This happens in almost every business.

Really? What thread tells you to ask for "Returns" at the IVR?

17. woosah macrumors regular

woosah

It's the tenth thread on "I got a free bumper from Apple", the where's and why's are irrelevant to the masses, it all reads the same.

I was just trying to give you some insight on why you're getting the sarcastic replies, don't get all pissy with me.

You got a fee bumper, congrats. Maybe if you call MacRumors to cancel your account someone will send you a cookie.

18. samcraig macrumors P6

The problem is - you legitimately called to return your phone and wound up with a free bumper. No one is arguing against that.

BUT (and here's your mistake) you came on here and "bragged" about it and encouraged via your post (intentionally or not) for people to commit fraud by just calling the return department to see if they could get a free bumper.

Your thread title is "How to get a FREE Bumper."

Next time, enjoy your free bumper and let that be your reward. What people are objecting to (again) is your encouragement of others to just bombard the phone lines trying to get something for nothing

19. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

cool ... you got a free bumper for your crappy phone ... now you know that it will be protected until you return it.
    :cool:

20. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

That actually is pretty interesting and believable. I might try that to get a free bumper once I have an iPhone 4 ;). I'm sure Apple would rather give out a Bumper than take back an iPhone 4 and lose the money from the sale.

21. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I'm not judging anyone here or the validity of the thread (especially since I was offered a free bumper from Apple as well), but THAT is funny! :D

22. TeamDNA macrumors 6502

you freaking people complaining about the op complaining are just f_cking annoying.. everyone just shut up and get off his ass.. he got a free bumper .. i wish i could.. i ordered one saturday and the thing still has not shipped.

I dont give a ***** about morals and whats wrong and or whats right .. apples seems to not give a Sh+t about the attenna issue and are told to pretend nothing is wrong ..

23. samcraig macrumors P6

Well there's your problem right there.

24. TeamDNA macrumors 6502

I honestly dont care. I have morals when it comes to other things. But for the iphone and apple. **** um.. they dont care about our issue .. why should we care about them sending us a free bumper..

25. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

This thread is more like "How to commit fraud" than anything else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.