How to get files off PowerBook G4 without power?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Will G., May 16, 2009.

1. Will G. macrumors member

I have a PowerBook G4 with a broken power connector, and a brand new hard drive for my mac pro which I bought to transfer the files to. What is the best way to do it?

- I could attempt to open the case and remove the harddrive myself, get a 2.5-to-3.5-inch harddrive adapter for about $10, and put it in my Mac Pro. From what I've read this would work, although I've never tried anything like it and I'm not sure how hard it would be.

- If I could find some way of getting a charged battery to put in it, that would work... but as the PowerBook G4s haven't been made for a while, it could be hard to do.

- I could take it to a repair shop and see if they'll do it, but I'm not sure how much they would charge.

So... ideas?

Thanks! :)

2. davidinva macrumors 6502a

A couple of suggestions

Perhaps the folks in the ad (for G4 battery) below your post could help. Also, are you close to an Apple store? Or a an independent Apple dealer? Both might be able to help also. Just some thoughts.

3. davidinva macrumors 6502a

Oops. Ad is gone

It was macsales.com, I think.

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Try this as an alternative.

Will charge your powerbook battery externally and give you some repeated usage if you can deal with it. Should serve your initial purpose though.

5. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

You could try buying a new power cable...if you could find one for sale. Honestly, I think your easiest course of action would be #1.

6. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

I've done this myself (although using an external IDE/Firewire case) and I'd say this is probably the easiest solution. Remember the Mac Pro has SATA hard drive connectors though. I guess you could use one of the optical drive bay connectors though. I'm not familiar with what types of adapters are out there. Also depending on the model of PBG4 you might need to get some really small screwdrivers, maybe with TORX heads.

7. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Is it an Aluminum or Titanium? If TiBook, it's very easy to open. AlBook, not so much - more tedious than technically difficult.

Check iFixIt - they have guides for installing hard drives for most models. Then, you can get an idea of whether to tackle it or not.

Without power, pulling the drive really is the only option.

8. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

Just get the adapter and plug the drive into your Mac Pro. This is cheapest and quickest. Depending on the model of you machine, getting the drive out may or may not be a pain, but don't waste money paying some monkey to do the same thing that you will be doing...

9. Ov3rlord Falc0r macrumors regular

Eh, I'd just go with number 1. Like somebody said just follow a step by step instructions and you'll be good. Its really not that complicated and its not difficult. Just take it slow and you'll be fine.

10. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a