How to get maximum day-to-day battery life?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jinyoungkim7, Oct 18, 2010.

1. jinyoungkim7 macrumors regular

jinyoungkim7

As the question states, how can I get really good battery life on a day-to-day basis? What do you guys do and what settings?

Thanks

2. DePaulBlueDemon macrumors regular

DePaulBlueDemon

Lower the brightness, turn off Push notifications...

3. samcraig macrumors P6

Leave the unit off and keep it plugged in ;)

4. maverick86 macrumors 6502a

Turn off wifi when not using it/not available and set mail to fetch manually

5. mpossoff macrumors 68020

I have everything turned off and turn then on only when I need to. As an example I keep wifi and 3G off all the time. All notifications and locations services are off unless I need them. I check email manually. I keep brightness at a hair less than 50%.

I have been getting satisfactory battery life.

Marc

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Keep it at 70% brightness (guesstimate the bar place). And turn Wi-Fi on only when you know you got it.

7. chanerz macrumors 6502a

mine is at 50% brightness, push notification off, and manual fetch emails.

8. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

empty the multitasking dock frequently, keep wifi OFF unless you're using it (I mean actually USING it), brightness at 50%, ask to join wifi networks OFF, push set to hourly or manual, and push the sleep button when you are not using the phone...with the latest update wifi has been a battery KILLER

9. Zcott macrumors 68020

Use it less. I have bluetooth, 3G and wifi always on and the battery gets me through the day.

10. Savor Suspended

Savor

Keep the brightness fairly dim. At 50% in a dark room with auto-brightness on will be fine. Multi-task should be cleaned often and turn off location services and push notifications if not being used.

Lately, I've been browsing WiFi with airplane mode on. Been getting 10 hours of usage minus the music playing. If you don't use the phone like me, WiFi with airplane mode on can help and give extra time to browse. But one of the main battery drainers is screen brightness. Keep it dim.

11. Simm0nS777 macrumors 6502a

great advice there :confused::confused::confused:

12. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Yes I have read that screen brightness is one of the biggest battery eaters.

Marc

13. DeBaryFL macrumors member

If you need more battery life you might consider getting one of the portable iPhone power supplies. I have a ZAGGsparq 2.0 (http://www.zagg.com/accessories/zaggsparq.php ), which will supply 4 full charges to the iPhone 4 when it (the ZAGGsparq) is fully charged. It has a fairly steep price ($100), but I got a 50% off code for entering one of their contests. This power supply can be used with any mobile phone that can use a USB charge cable and works very well for me.

I've always thought that my iPhone 4 (iOS 4.1) got very good battery life. I have my brightness set a little above 50% (auto brightness off), push off, and Wi-Fi always on. Today, for example, I used the phone for 3 calls (2 about 5 min and one a little over 30 min) and watched 2 30-min episodes of the old English TV show "'Allo, 'Allo" while waiting in the car for my wife and it still had 82% battery life remaining. These shows had been copied to the iPhone. Also, I was listening with headphones rather than the iPhone's built-in speaker -- that may or may not have an affect on battery usage, I've never tested it. Using the 3G network to watch movies/TV shows streamed from Netflix or TV using Slingplayer Mobile will eat the battery much faster of course. Watching for about 2 hours drops the battery level to 50% or a little lower.

14. steeler560 macrumors newbie

better yet is the MiLi hardshell case with built in 1600hAh battery. I first used one with my iPhone 3Gs...it adds some bulk to the iPhone 4 but not terrible and as a power user it gets me thought 8:00am to midnight with no problem. I got mine from MobileCityOnline...so far I've been very happy with it. If Jailbroken there is a cool app that shuts down the 3G radio when the phone is in sleep and turns it back on when you take the phone out of sleep...I forget the name of it but that alone helped double my usage. Between the MiLi and the 3G tweak I get a whole day of very heavy talk and web surfing usage and I have the screen at max brightness and push notifications on the hour for news and every 15 min for e-mail

15. tesilential macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Turn off "automatically detect wifi networks"

If you have an i4, turning off wifi itself won't do much of anything, battery life is actually much better on wifi than 3G.

16. DeBaryFL macrumors member

Very good suggestion. I did try the MiLi hardshell with my iPhone 3Gs and it is nice. However, I like to carry the iPhone in my shirt pocket and that case had too much bulk for me. I gave it to my college-student neighbor along with my old iPhone 3Gs and he's still using it I believe, Yes, the ZAGGsparq is much heavier, but I carry it in my car or boat and not on my person.

17. pilotkid macrumors 6502a

I always keep my screen about 2/3's of the available brightness, fetch every 30min. If I really need to stretch the battery life or if I'm traveling I turn off, wifi, screen to 50%, in addition to what I said above. Fetch is always at 30mins, and location services are always on no matter what the situation.