How to get movie onto my ipad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ThemacNub, Dec 8, 2010.

1. ThemacNub macrumors regular

I bought my wife an iPad for christmas and at the moment I'm prepping iTunes so that she can sync it as soon as she gets it. I've got the music set up fine but I want to get some of her favourite movies and TV shows on there that I already have on DVD. How do I do this?

2. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Google for Handbrake. Use that to rip DVDs into H264 format (Apple TV preset works OK on the iPad).

3. PhazonUK macrumors 6502

As above poster said, get Handbrake. It's free and is a great app.
    As far as I know, in order to convert directly from a DVD you will also need VLC. But that's free as well so just google for it. Or Handbrake will prompt you to download it the first time you try and convert from a DVD.

4. 3soteric macrumors member

3soteric

if you have the movie files on the computer already (such as avi/xvid etc files) then install CineXPlayer on your iPad. It will play the files natively without need to convert them at all.

All you do is connect to the computer, load iTunes, click the iPad then the apps tab, select the CineXPlayer app, then look in bottom corner of the page to add movie files.

Works a treat on both iPad and the iPhone

5. ThemacNub thread starter macrumors regular

Ok i'll try this tomorrow and report back. Thanks

6. vini-vidi-vici macrumors 6502

thoughts, tips...

Yes, use handbrake. I just started using this 2 days ago. Might want to un-check the "large file size" button after you select the AppleTV preset.

on my underpowered laptop, it takes about 3 hours to rip a 1 hr video... so, I do them overnight. File sizes come out to about 400-600MB/hr.

An interesting observation... I did a bunch of searching before discovering handbrake, and noticed that the web is filled with all kinds of "DVD to iPad" questionable/free software that's likely crammed with malware. It all seems to be the same stuff posted under different names. And they've hijacked the google algorithm, so that's all you see for the first 4-5 pages of google results.

Most insidiously, it appears the authors of this software patrol message boards like this one, and post "bad English" replies to direct more traffic to their sites/software. Just try a forum search on macrumors for "DVD to iPad" or something similar and you'll see what I mean - newbies with stupid names posting things like "Try me free, good ipad dvd software number 1, i am so happy to watch dvd on my ipad with this free software!!!".

anyway, it's just a bit creepy. Has the look of some kind of big conspiracy...

7. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Leave it checked. It doesn't make the resultant files bigger - it's just a compatibility option.

8. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I converted a HiDef video file the other night using Handbrake.

I used the Apple TV setting, but thought I'd see how small and set a size of 500mb for the final size.

It took about a hour and a half to chug through it, and worked well. But I had audio problems.

The sound was fine but ever few seconds there was like a stutter in the sound track.

Any idea why?

9. rworne macrumors 6502

Try me free, good ipad dvd software number 1, i am so happy to watch dvd on my ipad with this free software!!!

http://handbrake.fr

Obligatory Disclaimer: The above link is for a really cool program used for converting video files (no matter where they reside) to Apple-friendly formats. I wonder how many humor-impaired people will try to report this post. :rolleyes:

10. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Er... 3 people have already recommended handbrake. You're kind of slow off the mark, dude.

11. OptyCT macrumors 6502

I can't believe that no one's mentioned this yet...

You must rip the DVD to a format that's compatible with iTunes (either .MP4 or .M4V). Handbrake will do this automatically. If you use another ripping program, make sure you rip it to one of these two formats.

A couple of months ago, I decided to start ripping my DVD collection for use on my new Apple TV. At first, it was a little confusing. However, after ripping a couple of movies, you get pretty good at it.

12. PhazonUK macrumors 6502

What...? That's what Handbrake does...which is what we've all recommended...

13. rworne macrumors 6502

Did you read the post above mine? About the link spammer and his posting style?

And I supplied a link to the real product.

The disclaimer is to show that I am listing it a a video conversion tool. I would think posting a link to DVD ripping tool is against the site's rules.

14. Eldiablojoe macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

I'm not very tech-savvy, but it works for me. I've been doing with the Netflix DVD's I get on my one-at-a-time monthly subscription. I used the lower bit (32 I think, the 64 seems incompatible with my Snow Leopard) version of Handbrake. It did prompt me to obtain VLC, so I did that too.

I just pop the DVD in, and when it starts to play via Front Row, I just ESC out of it. Then I open up Handbrake. It takes a coupla minutes to read the titles. Then the options are no longer grayed-out. I ensure the destination is the desktop, then I click the Play symbol button.

It takes about 1 hour per DVD. When it is done, I eject the dish and then open up iTunes. I click and drag the movie off the desktop and into the "Movies" category of the iTunes.

Once the movies I want are in iTunes, then when I sync my iPhone or iPad, I simply verify under the "Movies" tab in the syncing application, then sync it.

Voila! the movie is now on my iDevice.

Hope this helps.

15. MsMerryMac macrumors regular

Thanks to the OP and those who recommended Handbrake. I had been avoiding mastering the rip/convert process, thinking it would be an overwhelming and complicated task. Now, my iPad has very nicely become a great movie viewer for the countless DVDs I have on hand.

16. ThemacNub thread starter macrumors regular

Ok I've done one a few episodes only when viewing them all moving subjects have horizontal lines breaking them up. Not severely breaking them up but noticeable when viewing. How do I avoid this?

17. ThemacNub thread starter macrumors regular

Don't worry about that. Only entourage season 1 has that issue. Season 2 is fine with no lines:D

18. BladesOfSteel macrumors regular

BladesOfSteel

Just an add on to this -

After I rip my movies via handbrake I use a program called MetaX to add all the metadata - like actors/directors and even cover art.

It isn't as good as it once was - I think the developer dropped support - but it works for me. I'm sure others here probably have a different program that works just as good.

19. BrennerM macrumors regular

If you are getting combing artifacts (multiple horizontal lines forming around moving objects) you need to use the Decomb feature in Handbrake. It takes longer to process using Decomb and it sacrifices a bit of resolution but it takes care of the combing artifacts which are really distracting (IMO).

20. ThemacNub thread starter macrumors regular

Decomb set to default? For every new media should I decomb from now on?

21. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

what about for movies d/led? Handbrake still?

22. moondad macrumors member

If it's animation, you need to set it to 'de-interlace' rather than decomb. There are about 5 settings to choose from - I just set mine to 'slower' which gives the best result.

23. ThemacNub thread starter macrumors regular

I have entourage season 3 part 1 and part 2. How can I have these in seperate seasons in iTunes as it wont allow me to put anything but numbers in what season it is.

24. kmaute macrumors 6502

kmaute

Grab the free VLC iPad app. It'll take care of it without having to re-encode.