How to get music from old to new iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fjs08, Apr 2, 2014.

1. fjs08 macrumors 65816

Had an old MBP that had an abundance of my music and music videos on. All purchased and uploaded if thats the correct word via cd and dvd (built in to my MBP) to my MBP. I synced my old iPhone 4 to it and all my music and music videos were on my iPhone 4 and really old iPod. I've not really wanted to listen to any of it for while so when I purchased my iPhone 5 and my MBP last spring (2013) I never moved the music over.
    I really never needed to since that music was available on my iPhone 4 and a really old iPod.. like really old iPod. That iPod basically won't hold a charge anymore. It's that old. Guess I could use my iPhone 4 which I currently use as my alarm clock as a "new" iPod too. But I'd like to get all the music and music videos to my MBP and iPhone 5.
    How do I do that.
    I do have an iCloud address, and back up my iPhone 5 to it regularly I only had 975 MB of my 5 GB left. I have lots of photos.
    How can I get my music to my iPhone 5 and MBP??
    Thx.
    Frank

2. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Songs you purchased through iTunes or matched with iTunes Match: You can just download them again.

Songs you ripped from CD: You can't copy these off the phone with iTunes, sadly. You have to download a third party tool like senuTi to do it. Sadly most of the better tools of this nature cost a few $$.

I've always found this limitation irritating; I think Apple would rather you just buy the music on iTunes than copy it back from your phone after losing it on the computer.

3. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

I remember I used some program to save the songs off my girlfriend's iphone, it worked great and didn't cost a buck.

4. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

Ahh.. Bummer... I already bought the music once.
    Thx. I'll try senuTi.
    does this same thing happen with PC's and Windows or Android phones??
    Just curious.
    I've been an Apple guy since the old days of the Apple II. Really sad to see where this has gone.
    Frank

5. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

I think it is a digital media rights issue - if you could just copy from your device anywhere you wanted you could just give music to all your friends. I know you can do that anyway but I think not allowing this was part of the Apple agreement with music vendors.
    Again, there are third party vendors who allow you to do this.

I don't quite understand why people have a ton of music somewhere and don't back it up to even external hard drives which are pretty cheep these days. Then you could copy all from the external hard drive to your new computer.

Backing stuff up is much easier than re-creating it.

6. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

You can transfer songs from computer to computer in iTunes using something like home sharing, you can also just jailbreak your old phone and install openssh and just pull the songs off for free using cyberduck.

7. IFRIT macrumors 6502a

With an Android phone you could just connect the phone to a computer and copy the stuff off like you would an external drive.

8. aristobrat macrumors G4

I get your general point, but in all fairness to the situation, "this" really hasn't "gone" anywhere.

It's been Apple's policy for about 13 years now (going back to 2001 when the first iPod came out) that media syncs in one direction ... from the computer to the iDevice. It's been the general consensus that this was a restriction that the major labels wanted before they'd let Apple start selling their precious music online for the first time.

IIRC, Google didn't start selling music online until 2011, a decade after Apple launched the iTunes store. So I'd guess that in that decade, the major labels loosened up enough so that Google/Android isn't coming out the gate with the restrictions that Apple had to deal with.

9. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

CTHarryH... I have all of mine on cc's. My video's are on DVD's. basically old Eagles "albums," and concerts.
    I'll have to play with Home Sharing to see what happens there.
    Thx again.
    Frank

10. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

CAn't you just transfer your old iTunes library and files from your old computer to your new one and just sync your new phone to your new computer?

11. jamaggic macrumors member

?

can't you just have a new battery installed in your iPod ???

12. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

That's the reason. But I think the whole music industry is so fixated on losing money to illegal downloads, they would get a hard attack if they figured out what you could do if have a Mac and you "borrowed" my Time Machine backup disk for an hour.

On the other hand: My granddaughter has an iPad and an iPhone, but no computer. She bought a CD in a shop. There seems to be no way to go to someone with a Mac or PC, and use their computer to put that CD onto the iPad or iPhone.

13. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Somehow Apple hasn't realized that there are situations where you need to import music to a computer from an iPhone :rolleyes: