How to get OSX to work with NTFS?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by CraigB, Dec 12, 2007.

1. CraigB macrumors member

I'm in a bit of a dilemma here. My external harddrive was originally partitioned as FAT32. However, to be able to transfer over this huge file onto it, I had to convert it to NTSF. Now here's the problem, I have files on my MBP that I need to transfer back and forth with my Windows XP PC, and I'm basically handicapped now.

I have over 20GB of files on my portable HD, and to change it back to FAT32, I'd need to format the whole disk. I simply have nowhere to place the files. My Windows has very little free space on its HD, while my MBP can't even read/write onto the external.

Is there any program out there that can allow OSX to read/write onto a NTFS HD?

Thanks for any help you guys can provide me.

2. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

There's a program called Paragon NTFS for Mac, I used one of the test versions and it was great until my NTFS partition disappeared, but I think they've sorted out the problems now.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=351476 a thread on Paragon NTFS (go to the newer posts, the beginning is about an early beta)

3. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

fat32 should be no problems since os x supports write and read access natively.
    as for ntfs write and read access you will need third party apps.
    I have written a short blog entry on how to use macfuse and the ntfs 3 g driver and have a little app called imountit that facilitates the mounting process if you are interested.
    (Link to how to and iMountit)

there is another option you can use:
    paragon ntfs for mac 6.0 (but it's shareware)

4. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

You mean NTFS surely?

OS X can read NTFS and read/write FAT32.

Do you have a router? You best bet may be to set up sharing either from the PC or from the Mac.

Anyway, there are two ways I know of for getting read/write NTFS - MacFuse (open source and free) and Paragon (proprietry and $30).

5. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

6. CraigB thread starter macrumors member

Yep, just a typo.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. Going to start looking at the 3rd party apps and all. :)

7. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Is the external drive connected to the Mac or PC? If it's connected to the PC, all you have to do is share the drive out. Mac's can read/write to a shared NTFS volume, as it's not accessing it natively, but through SMB.

-Kevin

8. stomer macrumors 6502a

True. However the max file size for FAT32 volumes remains 4GiB. I imagine that this is the reason why the original poster had to use NTFS instead.