Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the iPhone 15 Pro, Apple replaced the traditional mute switch with a new multi-function Action Button. The button can be assigned to perform a number of tasks, ranging from activating the flashlight to turning on the camera. Perhaps the most useful way to use the Action Button is with Shortcuts, because the single button can perform more than one action at once or bring up a selection of tools.

We've rounded up three of the best methods for using Shortcuts to get the most out of the Action Button.
  1. MultiButton Shortcut - Federico Vittici of MacStories created a way for two separate shortcuts to be assigned to the Action button. With MultiButton, if you press the Action Button once, it runs the primary shortcut, but if you press it twice in quick succession, it will run a secondary shortcut. Since Apple doesn't support multiple presses for the Action Button, this is a clever workaround. The MultiButton Shortcut is available from MacStories, and Viticci also has some Shortcut suggestions to use with the MultiButton.
  2. Position-Based Actions - YouTuber Dan Vittorini created a Shortcut that performs different actions depending on the orientation of the iPhone when it's activated. If the iPhone is in portrait orientation, it toggles silent mode. If the phone is held with the top to the left, it takes a photo, and if the phone is held with the top to the right, it takes a video. You can, of course, customize these to your liking.
  3. Shortcuts Folder - Perhaps the simplest way to make use of the Action Button is to set it to show the Shortcuts Folder, a unique action only available to the Action Button. You can set it to show all of your Shortcuts or just your favorites, so when you press the Action Button, you get a menu with your most useful Shortcuts. To set this up, open up the Settings app, choose Action Button, swipe over to Shortcut, tap on Choose a Shortcut... then select Show Folder and choose your preferred folder.
Have you found other interesting ways to use the Action Button? Let us know in the comments below.

Article Link: How to Get the Most Out of the iPhone 15 Pro's Action Button

Last edited:

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Has anyone tried assigning the Google Assistant shortcut to the Action Button?

If so, does it work upon activation ie. mic works straight away, or do you still need to close the Assistant App & reopen it to trigger the microphone?

Is there another way to activate Google Assistant via the Action button (not via a shortcut, but by opening the App itself)?

Have to be honest. I set it once when I got the phone and have never thought about it again.

You set it once tooooo what?
(Key detail 😂)

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
They should let us assign the Siri button as the action button since it’s more convenient. You can always say “Siri” to activate it if you want.

But then I guess that opens Pandora’s box and everyone on older phones will be asking to assign it as the action button, and it’ll undercut one of the reasons to upgrade.

ReliableSource

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2011
I’ve been trying different things based on Federico’s MultiButton shortcut: a main shortcut that changes depending on what focus mode I’m in, and then a secondary shortcut that brings up a list of other shortcuts.

By default it brings up the camera, and then if I activate the second shortcut it will close the camera and take me to my Home Screen before activating the secondary shortcut.

But I use my phone in low power mode a lot, and I find it takes longer than I’d like to get the camera open when LPM is on. So I might end up just setting it to launch the list of shortcuts and add “open camera” to the list.

hch720

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2022
I like the Action button, but just can't get on board with that configuration screen. It's just so out of place compared to every other setting screen. I hope it doesn't foreshadow a major redesign they have planned for future IOS versions.
It gives me major vision pro vibes

MrENGLISH

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2009
Is there a way to make it toggle the speaker on/off for calls? I currently have my iPhone setup to use Call Audio Routing so that it answers calls on speaker phone by default. But I'd like a way to either toggle that on/off or the speaker itself on/off.

adam1080

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2012
I am just so used to the flashlight and camera icons on the home screen that I have muscle memory issues using the action button!
Without 3D Touch anymore, I hate those buttons on the home screen with a passion. Get triggered accidentally all the time. I'm a big "carry the phone in my hand" guy.

I wish I could get rid of them but thought I saw that was not possible, anyone know if that is true?

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
I like the Action button, but just can't get on board with that configuration screen. It's just so out of place compared to every other setting screen. I hope it doesn't foreshadow a major redesign they have planned for future IOS versions.
It’s also misleading (as well as the thumbnail of the MacRumors video above) in that the action button doesn’t actually light up in different colors depending on function.

PuffleDunk

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2012
I'm happy with a shortcut menu I created. When I long press the Action button I get a text menu that looks something like this (with explanations in parens):

Actions:
Camera (go to Camera - photo mode)
Silence (toggle ringer on/off)
Flashlight (toggle flashlight on/off)
Magnifier (go to Magnifier)
Voice (go to Voice Recorder)
Files... (bring up a sub-menu of important documents to view, e.g. driver's license, insurance, passport, Covid card, etc.)

It's all in a single shortcut I called "Action Button".

The action is "Choose from Menu". Each menu item gets a simple action to invoke, with "Files..." getting a sub-menu (using the same "Choose from Menu" action).

The "Files..." menu items invoke "Open File" with various documents chosen from folders in the Files app.

Hope that's useful.

Daino92

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2019
Montana
Have to be honest. I set it once when I got the phone and have never thought about it again.
That was me until a few days ago when I started to mess with the siri shortcuts menu options. We'll see if they stick but I like having many the option to customize it beyond one action.

Reactions: Akrapovic

cjrulli

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2010
It’s in a weird position and should be positioned below the power button to use it frequently to be honest

I completely agree with this. For it to actually be a useful hotkey, it should've been within easier reach. I like the idea of it being below the power button at thumb level. Or even below the volume down. It being top left just feels lazy.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Bear in mind that if you’re using iOS 17.1 b1 or b2, the Set Silent Mode action for the phone is missing. Was hoping it would have returned in this beta but alas not.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I’ve been building a shortcut that changes the action depending on time of day and location.

Figure you could add other contextual considerations, such as the status of HomeKit devices.
Even which Wi-Fi you’re connected to, which Bluetooth etc.

If you use automations, you can set flags in a file to mark certain events, and then use those flags in actions.

For example, I use an automation to set a flag when I join certain Wi-Fi networks or Bluetooth networks, or on sunrise or sunset. I then interrogate the flag and perform certain actions.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Does anyone know of an app shortcut you can install that detects the brightness of the light sensor on the iPhone? I'd love to have it turn on the flashlight if it's dark. I have one that toggles mute if it's in my pocket, and opens the camera if I'm using it. I think I got it from Daring Fireball.

I will have to incorporate the double tap into this action: flashlight when held, audio recording when in pocket. Sneaky. So far the action button hasn't been very useful without double tap, so I'm excited to try this.

And yes I live in a one party consent state and I'm tired of people saying one thing and doing another and then pretending like they don't know what I'm talking about!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.