Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

R2DHue

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2019
I only want this button to do ONE thing and apple have made it impossible.

Toggle between 'limit charging to 80%' and 'optimised charging'. That's it.

I don't need my phone to stay at 100% charge for several hours when I'm plugged into carplay.

Has it ever been determined definitively that leaving your iPhone charging after it’s at 100% zaps battery longevity?

R2DHue

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2019
I think he’s saying he’d rather have the side (Siri/Power) button have the functionality of the Action Button, instead of having the new button. Probably since it’s easier to reach.

Steve Jobs hated external physical buttons. He saw each one as a necessary evil. The fewer the better. (None would be ideal.)

I can’t know how he’d feel about a new physical button replacing the mute toggle (which showed state), but I surmise he’d hate it.

(Also, it’s getting kind of humorous to see all the attention and voluminous discussion this little button is receiving — almost as if this button alone is a reason to upgrade to an iPhone 15 Pro/Pro Max!)

Reactions: amartinez1660

robinp

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2008
Even which Wi-Fi you’re connected to, which Bluetooth etc.

If you use automations, you can set flags in a file to mark certain events, and then use those flags in actions.

For example, I use an automation to set a flag when I join certain Wi-Fi networks or Bluetooth networks, or on sunrise or sunset. I then interrogate the flag and perform certain actions.
Yeah, checking the current WiFi network is the quickest most efficient and accurate way to determine location when inside typically.

DeepWebinar

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2020
First touch screens got rid of (almost) all the buttons.

If the action button becomes a hit, people will want a second one... and then a third one.

We're slowly coming full circle.
they should make a grid of physical action buttons, i’m thinking like 3 or 4 rows of them, and each one could input a different letter in the alphabet when pressed 🤯

• Haha
Reactions: R2DHue

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
You can already launch Siri with a long press of the Power button; not sure using the Action button would be more convenient than that.
I think I should’ve been more clear. I meant you should be able to use what is currently the Siri/power button as the action button. And you can still use it as a power button by holding down a volume button, as you currently do.

R2DHue

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2019
First touch screens got rid of (almost) all the buttons.

If the action button becomes a hit, people will want a second one... and then a third one.

We're slowly coming full circle.

Neon lights all around and on the back!

Seriously, though, it’s a source of debate whether these reports are even true, but there were reportedly a holdout or two at Apple who insisted while the iPhone was under development that it have a physical keyboard “like a BlackBerry.” The engineering team insisted on full multitouch instead. Whatever the case, a physical keyboard has never been part of any iPhone. Then, of course, the entire industry followed Apple’s lead (as usual…).

For example, below is the first Samsung Galaxy (Android) phone:

Attachments

• IMG_6394.jpeg
    IMG_6394.jpeg
    156.5 KB · Views: 37
Reactions: amartinez1660

R2DHue

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2019
they should make a grid of physical action buttons, i’m thinking like 3 or 4 rows of them, and each one could input a different letter in the alphabet when pressed 🤯

Don’t forget a row of Function “buttons”!

And pressing different combinations of buttons at once performs different actions. We’d have thousands of actions! 😍

• Wow
Reactions: DeepWebinar

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
I like the Action button, but just can't get on board with that configuration screen. It's just so out of place compared to every other setting screen. I hope it doesn't foreshadow a major redesign they have planned for future IOS versions.
What do you not like about it?

nottorp

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2014
Romania
So for those who have action buttons already... how does it work when the phone is in your pocket, full purse or similar environments?

If you mute it does it stay muted or it's a gamble?

It's fine for on/off screen and volume up/down because those can't do too much harm. But for mute, I don't know...

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
So for those who have action buttons already... how does it work when the phone is in your pocket, full purse or similar environments?

If you mute it does it stay muted or it's a gamble?

It's fine for on/off screen and volume up/down because those can't do too much harm. But for mute, I don't know...
It seems pretty unlikely to get accidental presses. It’s a nice solid button, and you have to hold it for a second to initiate an action. Not impossible, but unlikely.

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
I like the Action button, but just can't get on board with that configuration screen. It's just so out of place compared to every other setting screen. I hope it doesn't foreshadow a major redesign they have planned for future IOS versions.

Seems they don't like that it is out of place and doesn't match the rest of the look of the OS.
If that screen matches the whole OS due to a major redesign would you still not like it?

I for one, want a major redesign. I like change :)

geo-dj

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2023
I’d like to see Apple open up contextual short press functions to developers. It makes sense for a long press to be a universal function because it works even when the phone is locked, and requiring a long press prevents accidental activations when it’s in your pocket. But what if, while your favorite music app is open, a quick press of the action button opened the share sheet for the song that’s currently playing? Or when on your favorite social media app, a quick press launches the posting interface? Or, when on Teams, a quick press launched you straight into the Team you care most about so you could instantly get back to it from whatever depths in teams you’ve found yourself in? I guess I just can’t help but get excited about the idea of saving tons of taps to jumpstart into the specific functions within specific apps I use the most. Maybe someday we’ll get there.

Reactions: R2DHue

MrENGLISH

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2009
How do you this? One of the things that irritates me the most is having to click speaker mode every single time I’m on a call. Especially since I have to click the button twice — once to bring up the menu, and the second to click speaker. I use it much more often than not, so I’d rather just answer the phone straight into speaker mode.
Go to Settings>Accessibility>Touch>Call Audio Routing and then set it to Speaker

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
Even which Wi-Fi you’re connected to, which Bluetooth etc.

If you use automations, you can set flags in a file to mark certain events, and then use those flags in actions.

For example, I use an automation to set a flag when I join certain Wi-Fi networks or Bluetooth networks, or on sunrise or sunset. I then interrogate the flag and perform certain actions.

how does this work...

is it like creating a dictionary or a Json file or something else (neither of which I have worked with in shortcuts so anything will be a hurdle for me)

NARadyk

macrumors 6502a
May 21, 2021
UK
I keep downloading these shortcuts and they don’t work for me. I’m a complete noob with shortcuts but I tried to look into it and it comes up “if unknown action”. Stumped.

LSUstang05

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2011
The orientation Action mode isn't working for me. The orientation action seems to be missing in 17.1b2?
You need to download the "Actions" app to get it to work. That app gives you more options for shortcuts that the default shortcuts app does not give.

It works incredibly well. I mute and unmute my phone multiple times a day so I never changed it from toggling mute once I got the phone. Now that I have the option for the button to perform different functions based on orientation the button is going to actually be useful. Great shortcut idea.

orev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2015
If that screen matches the whole OS due to a major redesign would you still not like it?

I for one, want a major redesign. I like change :)

No, I wouldn't, because the screen is made up of a very high resolution photo. If they changed all screens to be like that, it would massively bloat the size of the IOS installation, eating up storage space on the phone. It would be an underhanded way of making people buy phones with more storage when it's not necessary. Kind of like how they insist in defaulting to live photos, which use more space, unless you specifically change the setting to remember that you turned them off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.