Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I wanted to let everyone know that getting the ridiculous $40 "Upgrade Fee" waived is still possible, no matter what a CSR tells you.

The wife and I are still eligible for 2-year contract pricing, which means we are subject to Verizon's ludicrous charge.

I chatted with 1 online CSR who checked my account but then said she didn't see any credits or promotions that would help me waive the fee. I politely thanked her, wished her well, ended the chat, and started another chat.

The second chat CSR was equally cordial but more helpful. I politely explained that I was a long-time customer who paid every bill on time and was forgoing my wife's off-contract discount of $15/mo. to guarantee remaining with Verizon another 2 years, so I thought that was worth waiving that fee.

As expected, he was very nice and receptive. He said he couldn't "waive" the fee, but he would make a note on my account, and as soon as the $40 charge posted, to contact them again via Chat, and a $40 credit would immediately be given to nullify the charge.

Cheers and best of luck to all.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Here and there they will certainly do their best to help out and sometimes provide a credit or some other bonus, either because there's some might be available for your account and they can add them, or sometimes because they can do it out of courtesy essentially. It's all kind of hit or miss and really depends on your account, the representative you talk to, etc.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
@CB636 , in addition to the info above, the bill has to be posted to your account before you can get the fee reimbursed. They will tell you that you don't have any promotions or they can't waive the fee, but they can give you credits to counterbalance the fee.

Best of luck.

CB636

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2016
@CB636 , in addition to the info above, the bill has to be posted to your account before you can get the fee reimbursed. They will tell you that you don't have any promotions or they can't waive the fee, but they can give you credits to counterbalance the fee.

Best of luck.
Thank you, good sir.

Reactions: willmtaylor

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Just as an FYI.

The wife's Phone SE preorder and "Upgrade Fee" posted to my account, so I started a chat with a VZW CSR and explained the I had been told the Upgrade Fee would be reimbursed. She checked my account and posted a $40 credit. The entire ordeal took <5 minutes.

YMMV

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Over the years I had always had better luck asking AT&T reps to "credit" me the upgrade fee rather than seek to waive it. I think their accounting systems treat them differently and the CSR's seem to have much more leeway over a 'credit' than a 'waiver'.

Reactions: willmtaylor
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.