Carrier How to Get Verizon Upgrade Fee Waived

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by willmtaylor, Mar 24, 2016.

1. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I wanted to let everyone know that getting the ridiculous $40 "Upgrade Fee" waived is still possible, no matter what a CSR tells you.

The wife and I are still eligible for 2-year contract pricing, which means we are subject to Verizon's ludicrous charge.

I chatted with 1 online CSR who checked my account but then said she didn't see any credits or promotions that would help me waive the fee. I politely thanked her, wished her well, ended the chat, and started another chat.

The second chat CSR was equally cordial but more helpful. I politely explained that I was a long-time customer who paid every bill on time and was forgoing my wife's off-contract discount of $15/mo. to guarantee remaining with Verizon another 2 years, so I thought that was worth waiving that fee.

As expected, he was very nice and receptive. He said he couldn't "waive" the fee, but he would make a note on my account, and as soon as the $40 charge posted, to contact them again via Chat, and a $40 credit would immediately be given to nullify the charge.

Cheers and best of luck to all.

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

Here and there they will certainly do their best to help out and sometimes provide a credit or some other bonus, either because there's some might be available for your account and they can add them, or sometimes because they can do it out of courtesy essentially. It's all kind of hit or miss and really depends on your account, the representative you talk to, etc.

3. willmtaylor thread starter macrumors G3

willmtaylor

@imaccooper , I saw your post on another thread. I thought this could possibly save you $40.

Best of luck

4. willmtaylor thread starter macrumors G3

willmtaylor

@CB636 , in addition to the info above, the bill has to be posted to your account before you can get the fee reimbursed. They will tell you that you don't have any promotions or they can't waive the fee, but they can give you credits to counterbalance the fee.

Best of luck.

5. CB636 macrumors newbie

Thank you, good sir.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Man you're getting Verizon to waive a fee?
    You are good my friend:D
    Making the impossible happen:D

7. willmtaylor thread starter macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Yeah, no kidding!

8. emilioestevez, Mar 29, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  9. willmtaylor, Mar 29, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2016

willmtaylor thread starter macrumors G3

willmtaylor

No

This may have changed as of 3/31/16

10. willmtaylor thread starter macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Just as an FYI.

The wife's Phone SE preorder and "Upgrade Fee" posted to my account, so I started a chat with a VZW CSR and explained the I had been told the Upgrade Fee would be reimbursed. She checked my account and posted a $40 credit. The entire ordeal took <5 minutes.

YMMV

11. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Over the years I had always had better luck asking AT&T reps to "credit" me the upgrade fee rather than seek to waive it. I think their accounting systems treat them differently and the CSR's seem to have much more leeway over a 'credit' than a 'waiver'.