How to Get Your iPhone's Battery Replaced at Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 3, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has reduced the price of battery replacements for the iPhone 6 and newer to $29, down from $79, as part of its apology over a lack of communication about the power management changes it made starting in iOS 10.2.1. The discount is effective immediately and available until the end of 2018.

[​IMG]

iPhone users in most countries can initiate the battery replacement process online by scheduling an appointment with the Genius Bar at an Apple Store. The reduced price is also available at some third-party retailers and repair shops, as long as they are designated as an official Apple Authorized Service Provider.

After this article was published, MacRumors received a tip claiming Apple has reduced the price it charges Apple Authorized Service Providers for iPhone batteries to $5, down from $55, but some repair shops are still charging more than $29 for replacements to maintain reasonable profit margins for time and labor.

To get started, head to the Contact Apple Support page, click on See Your Products, and sign in to your Apple ID account.

Click here to read rest of article...

Article Link: How to Get Your iPhone's Battery Replaced at Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider

2. techdogg macrumors newbie

Does anyone know how long it actually takes for the Genius to perform the battery replacement?

3. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

I had my 6S battery replaced in London today, cost including VAT was £25. Booked an appointment and when i left the phone they gave me a pickup time in 3 hours time. Returned at appointed time and everything was ready. Coconut battery now showing a full charge capability of 1736 design of 1715 whereas it was 1250 before the replacement.

4. OldSchoolMacGuy Suspended

OldSchoolMacGuy

You go in and ask. Wow. That really needed a blog post to lay it all out.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 3, 2018 ---
    Generally about 60-90 minutes. Sometimes it can take longer depending on the other workload. Usually they'll tell you to go shop around for a bit. If it's located in a mall it's not much of an issue.

5. UnusedLoginID macrumors regular

Alternatively you can call 1-800-APL CARE and have the tech do remote diagnostics, order the battery for you and the only thing you have to do is go to the store when the battery is in and they’ll replace it within a few hours. No waiting in line… many stores now don’t have appointments for the next 7 to 10 days so this might be the quickest way to get a battery replacement anyway.

6. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

They tell you an hour or so, but (for a 6 or 6s at least) if you watch any Youtube videos on how to change an iPhone battery, you can see that anyone that knows what they're doing and has all the tools at hand can physically do it in about 10 to 15 minutes from the time they sit down to it.

7. CBR900RR macrumors 6502a

After the battery replacement, do you loose you jailbreak or you current OS, do they install the latest OS on you phone?

8. macfacts macrumors 68030

macfacts

So confusing, a how-to is needed. It just works. :D

9. prose111 macrumors newbie

prose111

I mailed in my iPhone 6s to get the battery replaced and since my serial number was one of the 6s with the issue so it was free for me to replace the battery. They mailed me a box to ship the phone in and everything started good. Then 3 days later I get an email saying my Apple repair needs input from me. Turns out they are saying there is another issue internal so they need to charge me to replace the battery and want me to pay $299 to replace the phone. Let me remind you my phone was perfectly fine even made a call the morning before I shipped it now. Now they want $299 to replace it. So I had them just send my phone back to me. My First non happy Apple experience!!

10. macTW Suspended

Good information to know.

Time to see tens of thousands (or more) people claiming their phone is slow be rejected because they’re only seeing what they want to see, a bad Apple.

11. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

But why risk it if someone doesn't have experience regardless of a YouTube video? For $29, let Apple do it. It not would be worth having something go wrong and then Apple not have acknowledge the battery replacement because of something that somebody might have incorrectly repaired/replaced.

12. LogicalApex macrumors 6502

What? What?? AppleCare+ Users still must pay the $29 even though battery replacements are supposed to be covered under AppleCare+

Surely, this can't be right...

13. KMarch macrumors newbie

After using Coconut battery, my 6s shows a full charge capacity of 1368 mAH so it would make sense to replace my battery yes? Or should I wait it out a while longer as my phone hasn’t experienced significant slowing? Thanks

14. dtb200 macrumors newbie

dtb200

How old is your 6S pls? When should I consider having my battery changed? Is it certain serial numbers??

15. Wanted797 macrumors 6502a

Wanted797

16. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

You have 12 months to decide so no rush. My reason for replacing the battery is that it just did not last long enough i had to charge multiple times per day. The arrangement as i understand it is that they will replace your battery for $29 if you have a 6 or 6S. They will test it first and they did claim mine did not need replacing but they will if you insist. The results i got with Coconut battery says the my battery was only capable of being charged to 72.8 percent of original in your case its 79 percent.

17. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

I wasn't telling anyone they should do it themselves.....the poster asked how long it took to change the battery.
    The way I interpret this is if it's under warranty/Applecare the only way you'd get a free replacement is if your battery fails Apple's battery test. If you want it replaced even if it passes the battery test, you'll have to pay $29.

18. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

How-to's exist for all kinds of simple things, doesn't really say much one way or another about those things. ;)

19. iPhone1991 macrumors newbie

Does replacing the iPhone 7 battery at an Apple Store impact the water proof seal or does Apple ensure it remains the same after the replacement?
    Does replacing the iPhone 7 battery at an Apple Store impact the water proof seal or does Apple ensure it remains the same after the replacement?

20. zachkolk macrumors regular

zachkolk

Only if your battery passes diagnostics. If your battery is consumed or failed then it'll be at no cost.

21. LogicalApex macrumors 6502

That's the absurdity of this current debacle. I have two iPhone 6Ss that I tested for this. One with a recent battery swap due to the 6S battery recall and one that is on its original battery and the performance is a lot worse on the older battery (Geek Bench noted it was 50% slower). Apple has also noted that this is caused by batteries that are no longer "able to keep up" with the performance demands of the device.

I have scheduled a repair appointment with Apple on this, but they better not say that battery "passes diagnostics". As the battery impact is far more than just how long it is lasting between charge cycles as we're learning with this issue.

Source: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208387

22. chadjtex macrumors newbie

I brought my phone into an apple store because the battery was deteriorating. If all the power drains then it gets stuck in a reboot loop where it tries to boot before the battery has enough charge but I was able to get it working that time. Apple told me my battery was 85% and did not require service.

The battery continued to get worse and a month later I downloaded an app that showed my battery at 35%. Now, I have another reboot loop and it can't get enough charge to pull out of the death spiral.

I tried to schedule an appointment at a genius bar but the apple website says there is nothing available within 150 miles of Dallas and I should check back later. I am guessing this is because the $29 replacement program caused a rush.

I am very disappointed by how Apple handled this. They could have replaced my battery when I brought my phone in and saved me this trouble. Now my phone is dead and I can't drive 150 miles or wait a week so I am paying a 3rd party to fix my phone.

Thanks for nothing, Apple.

23. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

You could come to a local store and tell them your story and see if they can squeeze you in perhaps especially with a phone that isn't working at all essentially.

24. chadjtex macrumors newbie

I could try going to an Apple store but it is always busy and when I have an appointment I usually wait 30 minutes for a tech. I have no idea how long I would wait without an appointment but I don't have the patience.

I ended up using puls.com and they sent a tech to my house to replace the battery for $79. After battery replacement the reboot loop was fixed and that proves my theory that the boot was drawing too much current.

Earlier I told all of this to the Apple tech but he said the reboot loop was probably memory corruption and that the battery was fine. This indicates that Apple has diagnostic tools that do not properly diagnose a battery condition.

25. sparkinstx macrumors newbie

"Coconut battery" - is that the actual name of the app? Is Coconut the publisher? When I search the App Store I don't find a Coconut Battery app, but I do see battery apps, like "Battery Life" by RBT Digital LLC, which has a 4.6 rating. I have a free battery life app that I downloaded some time ago, but it's apparently gone from the App Store - when I click to download the Pro version (no ads), it isn't found in the App Store.