How to go about getting a replacement?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SPNarwhal, Apr 25, 2010.

1. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

sorry to ask this again, I know people ask this sortof. I'm not really asking about what to say to them or whatever though. I don't need the sequence, just wondering about what number I should call and whom I should talk to. I plan to call tomorrow and request a refund, but I'd rather get straight to the main source or whatever it is.
    Which method would be most efficient?

thanks.

2. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

A replacement or refund on what? An Apple product? A titanium joint surgically implanted in your hip?

It would help if you gave just a wee bit more information.

If you mean an Apple product, call Apple's customer service hotline. If you bought it an Apple store, I think you'll find a face-to-face request for a refund/replacement to actually be worth your time, so go to an Apple store. If you bought it at Best Buy....even they usually honor their return policies as long as you are within the window and pay the restocking fee. If you bought it elsewhere....who knows?

3. SPNarwhal thread starter macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

well, i assumed that since it was in the "Macbook Pro, PowerBook" section, that you would have the common sense to know what I was talking about.

It's a Macbook Pro, and I want to know the number and whom to speak to.
    The people who answer the phone can't issue replacements.

It's not a return, it's a replacement for a continual malfunctioning laptop.
    I would think it'd be better to do it over the phone, not only can i talk to a higher up directly (potentially)
    but if I take it to an apple store, i have a feeling they are going to want to repair it again.
    plus, i would like to pay extra money and update the replacement model.

4. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

So you don't want it fixed. What you really want is a different model. Oh, now we understand. It would help if you mentioned that in the original post.

5. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

It depends on how old it is, what the problem is, and other factors. Generally Apple is not very eager to accomodate the customer on something that's been repaired.

6. SPNarwhal thread starter macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

what else would a replacement mean?

and it's on a 17" uMBP.

logic board replaced several times,
    and the same problem has not gone away since.

and now the battery indicator light is not working.

p.s: oh, wow. i never realized i said "refund" in my original post. total mistake.
    that's pretty misleadinggggggggg.

sorry.

7. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Call 1-888-Vaguepost! They can definitely help you out.

First you talk about refund, then replacement, now an updated MacBook Pro so I guess you don't want a refund after all, but want to apply the "refund" towards a replacement....updated replacement that is.:rolleyes:

If you had been clear from the beginning stating what computer you have, what issues you have had and exactly how many times it has been serviced (that is important) you probably would have received your answer by now. But instead, you were completely vague in your post.

I would say if you have not had it repaired on three different occasions (not three replacement parts) then you are out of luck. By the way, what does "several" mean in your book?

Again, be specific and you will likely get people answering your real questions instead of noting your vagueBookPro techniques. :D

8. SPNarwhal thread starter macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

i was vague because i never wanted an in depth answer,
    i don't want to know what to say and blah blah.
    i just want the number and whom i talk to.

i would like to get a new replacement for my uMBP 17"
    who do i speak to for this problem?

and i never said anything about an upgraded model.
    i'd be fine with a new version of the model i have.
    i'm not after an upgrade, i'm after a functioning laptop.

9. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

You'll get a lot of snarky replies when you talk about replacements here. People often think that everyone who wants a replacement machine is only wanting one to upgrade at Apple's expense.

The best route to take is to call Apple's customer service line. Make a strong case for yourself and escalate your call to a manager if need-be, which will probably be the case since low-level personnel will probably try for another repair. In the end Apple will decide if your request has merit, as the repair history will dictate the circumstance more accurately than any anecdotal evidence. Apple also will take extenuating circumstances into account, so if you absolutely rely on your MacBook Pro for school or work be sure to make mention of it to the person on the other end of the line.

10. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Sorry, but I have to say that this forum is much more than a phone book!

Your simple answer can be found here

Oh yeah, I had good luck with Greg just three days ago....so ask for him!:rolleyes:

11. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Do you have an Apple Store near you?

If not, and the support people over the phone aren't willing to approve a replacement, then you may have to plead your case to the big guy himself and e-mail Steve Jobs.

12. Kingcodez macrumors 6502

Kingcodez

Wow this guy's got a 'tude.
    Why don't you just go to apple.com and look at the bottom of the page your self?
    I mean you sat reading this thread waiting for the reply for three hours.

13. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

http://tinyurl.com/29gwpnl

14. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

I see everyone else pretty much set you straight so I won't bother addressing the "who to contact issue."

But I will say this much...if you are this vague in your approach with Apple personnel you will get a repair if you get anything at all. You need to be direct and polite, but forceful, not namby-pamby "gee sorta I feel kinda like you know" vague about your request to them. We don't matter here. But when you get your 15 minutes with whomever you need to be firm and direct:

"Here's my repair history. I've been very understanding but I use this to make a living and you've taken away my ability to earn a living X days over the life of ownership of this product. I have the same issues, they've not been addressed and I don't believe giving up even more days of my ability to earn a living are going to resolve this issue. I want you to give me a comparable machine as a replacement as this one clearly had and still has numerous manufacturing defects."

Repeat that, or a variant of that, like a broken record. Anytime someone says "no" (and you'll get a lot of that or "....I can offer this" type of deals on your way up the food chain), ask politely if there is someone higher up you can speak to. Get names...these will be important. Address the person you are speaking to by their name just as they do with you.

Polite. Direct. Forceful. No hypothetical hyperbole. Stick to a SINGLE rationale for requesting a replacement.

15. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

THE BEST POST ON THIS THREAD!!! This WILL get you a new computer!:D:apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple: