Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

soccersquirt82

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2008
I've seen lots of people be able to navigate through the computer (PC) using only the keyboard. It seems much more efficient, but I don't know many simple tasks. I've downloaded Quicksilver, and I know basic shortcuts (saving, printing, command tab, etc.). I don't know how to switch the active window when using the same application. The only way I know to switch the window is using command tab, but that's between applications. Is there another way to do this?? Also, on Windows, I can use the arrow keys to navigate through options on a window and press enter to execute. How can I do this on a mac? Any other simple tasks that I need to know??

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Turn on the keyboard menus in either Universal Access or Keyboard in the System Preferences. Also, to switch between windows in an application, use command-`.

TEG

Retired
May 16, 2006
I don't know how to switch the active window when using the same application. The only way I know to switch the window is using command tab, but that's between applications. Is there another way to do this??
CMD+`

Also, on Windows, I can use the arrow keys to navigate through options on a window and press enter to execute. How can I do this on a mac? Any other simple tasks that I need to know??
Unfortunately, for most things its not possible, but some (e.g. CMD+D for Don't Save) work.

I recommend installing Quicksilver plugins such as the iTunes one for a higher level of control.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
1) Cmd+` will cycle through windows within the active application.

2) Go to System Preferences > Keyboard & Mouse > Keyboard Shortcuts and set the Full Keyboard Access setting at the bottom to "All Controls."

soccersquirt82

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2008
Thanks for eveybody's quick replies. When I do Cmd-' or Cmd+', the text gets bigger or smaller. Am I doing something wrong, or how do I turn off this shortcut??

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Usually when you are viewing commands, the Modifier (Command/Option/Control/Shift) followed by either a "+" or a "-" (personal preference) and then a character that is used to activate the command (ex Command-S means hold command and then hit the letter s). If the shortcut is then followed by a comma, do the command, then release all keys then tap the key that follows the comma (ex Option-n,n will yield an ñ)

TEG

cherry su

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
Pressing alt 5 times (repeatedly) enables mousekeys, which lets you use the numpad to control the cursor

soccersquirt82

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2008
Option tab worked for me, but the pushing the alt button five times didn't. Is there a setting I need to turn on to make this work??

pinktank

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
search for quicksilver tutorials, there are many out there, os x is actually much more keyboard friendly

soccersquirt82

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2008
Does anyone know of a shortcut to highlight the address bar, so I can start typing a new URL quickly?

soccersquirt82

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2008
Another question: on the iMac keyboard, there are buttons such as "home" and "end." I can go to the end of a line is MS Word by hitting "end." How do I do this on the MacBook keyboard?

wanax

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2008
Apple Shortcuts

How does one create a shortcut for "Shutdown" or "Sleep" modes? Thanks!

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
How does one create a shortcut for "Shutdown" or "Sleep" modes? Thanks!

Sleep = cmd + opt + eject
shutdown = cmd + opt + ctrl + eject
restart = cmd + ctrl + eject
log out = cmd + shift + q

Might want to have a gander through this page

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.