How to impress someone with your new MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mike Litoris, May 5, 2010.

1. Mike Litoris macrumors newbie

I'm gonna pick up my brand new 15" mbp tomorrow. This will be my first mac ever. I bought it because I was sick of windows with all its bugs and viruses and because build quality and batery lifetime of mbps seems to be unbeatable.

However, I'll have to "justify" spending that much money for a computer to my father. (not that he really cares that much what i spend my money for, but it will make me lot less stupid in front of him;)). He's a frequent pc user but not a professional. He probably never saw a mac in real life. So what I need is some stuff to impress him with and show him that an mbp is worth its money. I'll demonstrate him the multitouch trackpad but I need some more stuff to show off with ;-)

Any suggestions? Any impressive things you can do with osx? As I said I'm a mac newbie myself so I have no clue..

thanks for your help
    Mike Litoris

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Who is paying, and what do you use your machine for? Not worth it if you're just checking your e-mail.

3. Mike Litoris thread starter macrumors newbie

I bought it already and I paid for it. So lets not discuss that ;)

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Oh. You made it seem as if the purchase was in the future. Tense usage ftl :(

5. moel macrumors 6502

Just wait till his PC fups up in some fashion.

Oops that wouldn't have happened if you had a Mac Dad!

Theres no point really in showing off, play with it, and enjoy you'll discover stuff.

PS your name makes it difficult to tell whether you are trolling or not.

6. Mike Litoris thread starter macrumors newbie

I wrote that I'm gonna pick it up tmr since it was delivered to my local post office and is waiting for me to pick it up from there :) i already ordered it several days ago from apple though.

7. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

If you have iWork and he has Office, show him how everything on his computer opens right up on yours ;)

Magsafe!
    Backlit keyboard!
    Slot Loading Drive!
    Solid bottom shell! No flimsy tacky door panels!
    Runs cool and doesn't feel like a damn hair dryer blowing!
    Quiet! Nearly silent!!!
    Unbeatable battery life!
    You can run Windows!
    No Viruses! Zero!
    The sudden motion sensor protects your hard drive from drops!
    Doesn't spontaneously combust!
    Boots, wakes and shuts down in SECONDS!
    No random DLL errors! Honestly, tell us if your dad's PC posts error messages after startup.

There is so much in every Mac that easily justifies the costs. However, there are MANY morons that just count mhz. -.-'

8. kolax macrumors G3

- Ambient light sensors
    - Backlit keyboard
    - OS X (just show him basic multitasking - iPhoto, switch to iTunes instantly, switch to Safari etc)
    - iLife (iPhoto, show him Faces, iMovie etc).. all this is free with a new Mac
    - MagSafe
    - Voice Control (found in Universal Access in System Preferences.. say 'tell me a joke' for fun)
    - Solid unibody construction made out of aircraft grade aluminium!

9. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Wait until he sees how productive Exposé can make one ;)

*pukes on Windows Snap*

10. gumbyx84 macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

Personally, tell him where to go. Most of my family started getting on my case because I got a Mac for reasons similar to your dad. I explained my reasons and they still thought I made a stupid purchase. Then I told them it was my money and it was what i wanted. :)

Don't let other people judgments ruin your experience.

11. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

It's funny how so many people can judge something so easily, yet they honestly don't know what a mac is, past the big glowing Apple logo.

XD It's true! A lady at Best Buy asked, "what makes them not get viruses and stuff?" "They don't run Windows." "Really?!" -.-'

Ignorance, it keeps the Mac pool clean ;)

12. BlackZ macrumors member

BlackZ

You don't need to show anything, just work with it casually and he will notice everything goes smooth and nice.

The best way to impress is to not impress at all lol, than people start to become curious.

13. MBPi7 macrumors member

It's a tool, not a prop for your flimsy self worth. :D

14. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Show him this. You can skip to 55 seconds in, and it will explain everything to him.

15. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

Don't forget the most powerful aspect of a Mac - the software side ! No OS in the world comes anywhere close to that of a Snow Leopard, in which beauty and beast dwell together ! If its not your father, eg. a Microsoft fanboy friend show him an icon galore and have him weep.

Like this. :D

[​IMG]

16. Sirolway macrumors 6502

I've recently been enjoying iPhoto Faces, Photo Booth & Front Row.
    All included, all free, all just work - great.

I'm an IT consultant - 20 years mostly with Windows but a reasonable amount of Unix as well. I and more & more IT people I know seem to be switching to Mac (perhaps that's just cos I'm more aware of it now that I have?).

I used to have PCs at home & something was always going wrong with them. After finding only rubbish video solutions (most poor drivers, poor apps, & Vista), I got a Mac mini to see if it really would 'just work.' A couple of years on & the answer is definitely yes

17. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

Windows snap is so helpful. Glad that BetterTouchTool gives the same thing.

18. lizard77 macrumors newbie

You should exchange your ugly girlfriend with a real beauty just the day you present him your macbook pro. That should impress him enough.

19. NOTORIOUS187 macrumors member

20. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

Download this program, from this site, and show your trackpad tracking 11 fingers. Win.

21. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Spaces app - show him how you can have multiple desktops like having multiple screens that you can switch to quickly. This is especially handy on a laptop where you have a smaller screen

The fact that you don't have to turn it off, just close it to put it to sleep then show him how fast it comes up when you open it. very convenient.

22. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

Go to your applications folder, CMD+A and then CMD+O. You might wanna test this out before you show it to him and do it when the computer is new, not with 100 apps unless you want to wait around for 10 mins.

23. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Was wondering when someone else was going to pick that up. This thread is just bait for fanboy/antifanboy flame wars.

24. rawd macrumors regular

How to increase the size of the stacks grid?

25. tekmoe macrumors 68000

I don't know about you but a Mac makes my life so much easier. I have iPhoto for all of my pictures, iMovie for simple movie projects, iWeb for my website, and iTunes for all of my music needs. This doesn't include the other handful of apps that I use on a daily basis. It's such a better experience than Windows. I find it a lot more satisfying and downright fun. Tell him to stick that in his pipe and smoke it. ;)