How To Improve The Microwave

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by JamesMike, Feb 11, 2015.

1. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

Here is a video I saw and thought some of our very smart forum members would have some good ideas also.

http://youtu.be/ptkzzNaZb7U

2. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Replace your microwave with a convection oven. Much more useful in my opinion.

3. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

The microwave is, by design, flawed. I am seconding the convection oven suggestion so hard right now.

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Interesting, I'd be interested in a microwave like that. However I wouldn't be willing to spend much more than I would for a normal microwave of the same wattage. I also wouldn't buy it until my current microwave kicks the bucket.

What would be more revolutionary to me and something I'd be willing to pay more for. Would be a microwave that cooks food evenly. This doesn't help that at all. Perhaps one that doesn't create crusty edges when reheating chili.

All it guarantees is the outside will be hot. The core of the food can still be cold. While everything is hot on the outside. The guarantee is more along the lines of hot and inferno.

5. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

First of all, microwaves are outstanding. Would I rather cook something in the microwave for seven minutes or cook it in the convection oven for 45 minutes after allowing it to heat up for 5 min? Obviously the former. You ever cook veggies in a steamer pack in the microwave? The Ultimate in convenience. However I like the idea of not so much a thermal map, but simply a program that tells you when the food has reached a desired state determined by nfrared feedback. I don't see the map, the thermal map as being all that valuable as a display. I also think there could be issues with the outside temp versus the inside temp of something thick, where the thermal map would have to be interpreted.

6. viorelgn macrumors 6502

viorelgn

Alternate modes of heating such as infrared and air jet are qualitatively different compared to microwave heating. Only a systematic study of the underlying principles that govern the combination of heating modes would provide the necessary knowledge base for a rational approach to the design of combination ovens. Physics-based computer models have been developed that combine the various modes of heating in a comprehensive manner. From this model, trends have been developed for the effects of various heating parameters in the development of new technology.

7. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Maybe it's a decent microwave idea, but the guy has a poverty stove/oven. Therefore no credibility.

8. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Hey. Don't knock the classics. Many a can of soup have been cooked to perfection on stoves like that.

9. eko91 macrumors regular

what the!!

Sounds awesome!! If anyone watched Disney Movie Smart House, this sorta reminds me of it! Did you guys sign the petition in the videos description box?

10. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

Great if the microwave could fast freeze too.

11. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

And turn lead into gold.

12. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Well, decent idea, but I haven't owned a microwave in years and don't miss it at all. On the other hand I actually cook food on a daily basis....not Hot Pockets.

I'm not sure of the connection between a "poverty" stove and credibility with respect to designing a microwave.

And I'm not sure of the point of making the invidious distinction of poverty versus---what?---non-poverty stoves is. It isn't clear to me what relevance one's ability to pay for an expensive stove (or one's ability to pay rent for an apartment furnished with an expensive stove) has on...anything?

13. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Do you need to lie down?

14. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

My mistake, I figured you actually thought about what you wrote.

15. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

That confirms it; you do need to lie down.

16. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

How do you figure?

17. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Omg that was an awesome movie. Disney needs to dig it out of the archives and play it, it's been forever.