How to improve your chances of getting a Samsung SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by FrenchPB, Aug 13, 2011.

1. FrenchPB macrumors 6502

Hey all,

Just wondering if the SSD affectation is trully based on luck, or if it depends on what MBA model you purchase or where you purchase it.

Have we seen toshiba SSD on all different models and purchase location ? Is there a way to improve your chances of getting a samsung SSD ?

I'm still torn between buying the 13" base model or the ultimate version. I'd hate to put an extra $300 and get toshiba for instance.

2. qwerf123 macrumors regular

The 13" i7/ultimate models tend to always have a Samsung SSD.
    If you look at the other threads where people are commenting on what they got, nearly everyone who got the ultimate MBA got the samsung SSD.

I've had four of these ultimate 13'' MBA and every single time got a Samsung SSD so I doubt you will have many problems getting one. If not just return it.

But you may find an issue here getting a Samsung LCD if you want this also and its generally be 50:50 between the Samsung and LG screen.

3. mac jones macrumors 68040

no there isn't.

And don't listen to anyone.....geesh.

4. KPOM macrumors G5

It's a bit like asking how to improve your chances of getting Michelin all-season tires with your new Honda Accord rather than Goodyear all-season tires, and about as relevant.

AnandTech had a good article this week about SandForce and Intel SSDs, which are faster than either the Samsung or Toshiba, but have reliability issues.
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/4604/...rsair-patriot-ocz-owc-memoright-ssds-compared

The bottom line is that Apple did a good job sourcing their drives from Toshiba and Samsung. Both are mid-range performers, but both are a big step up from hard drives, and at the same time have been reliable.

5. ZBoater, Aug 13, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011

ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Yeah, but if you hang out in this forum long enough, between the Samsung/LG screen, Samsung/Toshiba SSD, case bulges, weak batteries, painfully slow instant on, creaking hinges, blurry screens, small fonts, weak speakers, lack of firewire, too big/too small, too heavy/too light, the i7 intense heat causing reactor meltdowns, etc. etc, you would think Apple built the Edsel equivalent of the laptop world and we should all run for the hills and buy something else.

I only wish I had a triple face palm jpeg...

EDIT: I found one...

[​IMG]

6. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Yep that`s it; the new Air is garbage don't even think about buying one, or alternatively you can stop obsessing about specs that will have little or no impact on day to day usage. Whatever you get you wont be disappointed as long as you have expectations that are realistic, and understand what the Air is about - Ultraportable

7. qwerf123 macrumors regular

LOL, this is true, but the guy above is wrong. The machine is amazing and the best computer I've ever owned.

8. Typswif2fingers macrumors 6502

For a long period of time I was sitting here face-palming myself whilst reading people write about their problems with machines...

I considered some posts petty, anally retentive, whining or simply stupid...

But, the shoe came on the other foot and I firstly had screen wake up issues and now some hinge problems... It certainly helps with the development of "not being a prick towards those who have either real or perceived problems with their machines paradigm".

Most of people here can get their computing needs achieved with a $400 netbook... But we choose Apple because it is a brand that stands for the quality or whatever else it may be...

And while those who consider that a Mac should outperform its performance standard should seriously reconsider their position; expecting what is promised and paid for should not be looked at as something needing to be critiqued... even though, in the past I was guilty of that myself...

Just a thought...

9. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I agree. This is the best laptop I've ever had.

----------

Apple never promised specific brand screens or SSDs or specific read/write specs. I agree with you somewhat, but the level of OCD here is sometimes triplefacepalming.... What is worse is newbies coming here, reading all this, and running back to the store to return their perfectly fine Air because it is somehow broken or substandard. It's sad, really. :(

10. Typswif2fingers macrumors 6502

My first MBA that I purchased the day they came out was Toshy SSD... Now, if you see my nickname... it is a jest... but not far from the truth...

Imagine a cave man scratching his head looking at the keyboard grunting about where that letter "R" disappeared.. it was just there a moment ago - but it still took me ages to get over the Toshy "issue"... and I am the person who has 70GB of stuff on my machine...sweet f%@# all really... but the perceived difference between the SSDs was doing my head in.. Could I help it... no. Did I wish it wasn't... Yes.. But one can not control OCD traits... Thats why they are OCD :)

I know it is annoying when people complain... My first reaction is "harden the f%@# up"... But that is not really fair..

Also... it sometimes helps to empathise with those who have some problems with their machines... whether real or perceived.

I've read your posts before and they certainly helped with getting over the Toshy/Sammie "issue"... I guess I am just trying to say that it is not easy to switch the annoying nagging bugs off... Especially when it comes to Apple products... :)

11. fireworksdesign macrumors member

I bought a 13inch base model, heres what I did, I told the reseller I wanted a samsung ssd, my bro checked it when he bought it, registered my account etc, then he shipped it to me. When I got it, and checked system info, i got a samsung ssd

12. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Totally agree, the only lottery here is turning in a perfectly good Air for one that may or may not have a production issue, some are on their fifth already :rolleyes: on the other hand there is an element of entertainment ;)

13. qwerf123, Aug 13, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011

qwerf123 macrumors regular

That is true!

I've had three MBAs until I got this one which works properly and has no defects.
    Think Apple need to resolve this LG/Samsung/Toshiba lottery with the LCDs and SSD.

But even with the Toshiba SSD, the machine is still fast and I reckon you wouldn't notice the difference.

Most of the people here just seem to think way too much into it and probably loose sleep on it rather than focusing on more important things in life. If you compare this laptop to other thin laptops, you'll find this is probably the best computer unless you maybe go for the Sony Vaio Z series and spends hundreds/thousands more!

14. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

If someone is experiencing a PROBLEM, by all means exchange it. That's what a warranty is for. What burns me is to see folks that were perfectly happy until they read a Samsung/Toshiba thread, and all of a sudden something that wasn't a problem before is one now.

But, I agree, it is entertaining to read. Carry on gents! I'm off to warm up some muffins on the back of my overheating i7 before the thermal safeguards kick in and shut my slow, creaky, buggy laptop down... :rolleyes:

15. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Now we hitting it; I seriously wonder just how many have returned 2011 Air`s just on the back of forum post`s & benchmark`s that add up to zip in the real world. Anyone want to do a pole, or more to the point anyone want to put their hands up :p if you are getting hung up on this sort of thing, well you need to get out more..... seriously ;)

16. qwerf123 macrumors regular

yeah alright, ill make one

17. FrenchPB thread starter macrumors 6502

OK, I get it, people with Toshiba MBA reply with their gif or jpeg stuff...

Now the question is legit. How did Apple affect Toshiba SSD to their line of MBA ? Do they affect Tsohiba SSD on certain models like the base MBA, or do they affect Tsohiba SSD based on where the MBA is produced (factory location) ?

It might also be totally random. That is why I'm asking. If you have nothing better to post than a rant or a jpeg, then save yourself some time and move on.

Now, I'd like to know if you guys have notived a trend based on early buyers posts on the forum. Thanks :)

18. mac jones macrumors 68040

Go to Ebay and email the sellers and ask them to check for you.

( I wouldn't get to upset ...If I were you :D )

19. FrenchPB thread starter macrumors 6502

20. FrenchPB thread starter macrumors 6502

Can you guys be smart about his please ? This thread is not about whether you should exchange your MBA or not based on its SSD or display, it is just about trying to understand how apple affect certain display / SSD on certain models or area.

Once again, it's not about being a crybaby about what SSD or display you have, but just to understand if there is any logic to what hardrive / display you find on a specific model based on where you purchased it.

Stop being so annoying

21. drxcm macrumors regular

My guess is that it is semi-random. They have a bunch of parts, they use those parts to make whatever is on the production line.

Most of the SSD's seem to be Samsung. Clearly Samsung couldn't supply enough parts for the rate of production, so Apple bought Toshiba parts too.

At present, there is no way to tell which machine has which component, based on serial number, model number, or reseller location.

I have an 11" with Toshiba SSD and LG display. I couldn't be happier. In fact, if you came to my place with a Samsung / Samsung model, I would not swap it for mine.

These threads are simply a waste of time.

22. JSalig macrumors 6502

Might want to take your own advice. If you want to increase your chances of getting a Samsung SSD, get the Ultimate model. If you're looking to increase your chances any more than that by breaking it down to specific store, areas serials, etc., you're wasting your time. Good luck with your equations.

23. VMMan macrumors 6502a

The OP wants a Samsung SSD and it's his money.

It's not that different from when I used to build my own PC boxes, and I was pretty much set on buying a specific CPU, RAM (from certain Samsung bins, no less), motherboard, PSU, heatsink, fan, case, etc.

If it were an aftermarket purchase, would anybody think it weird if anybody wanted to buy the Samsung instead of Toshiba SSD to install?

24. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Too bad my samsung can warm them up FASTER!:p