Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mactreouser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2008
Can I install Catalina on MacBook Air 2017?

If yes, just download the Catalina Installer and create an USB Installer?

Reactions: kitKAC

Bazza1

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2017
Toronto, Canada
The 2017 Air came with High Sierra. Catalina came out two years later, and I would have installed it on mine at the time. Its currently running Monterey - the last OS that supported the 2017 Air, and which is still 'supported' by Apple.

(Full disclosure: I no longer use the Air as my 'daily', but do keep it updated and use it for work travel)

If the Air is running older than Catalina, it shouldn't be a problem - though if newer than Catalina, I really don't know how that goes. I know Apple isn't keen on people 'rolling back' to earlier OSs. And would question, 'Why Catalina?" Is it software you own that doesn't work on newer than that OS?

I don't know that it's 'better' than later offerings - almost every OS Apple produces ends up with those who complain its buggy and worse than last version, and Catalina had its fair share of that, too. But for everything Apple seems to break with each OS version, it does include security patches, too.

Reactions: mactreouser

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
If the Air is running older than Catalina, it shouldn't be a problem - though if newer than Catalina, I really don't know how that goes. I know Apple isn't keen on people 'rolling back' to earlier OSs.
Installing an older operating system is not a problem but it does require a completely new installation either by erasing or making a new partition or volume– you can't install an older version on top of a newer one.

Last edited:

mactreouser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2008
Is your MBA running on an older macOS now?
I'm now with Mojave

Installing an older operating system is not a problem but it does require a completely new installation either by erasing or making a new partition or volume– you can't install an older version on top of a newer one.
Does it mean I can't install the Catalina upgrade version from Mojave?

The 2017 Air came with High Sierra. Catalina came out two years later, and I would have installed it on mine at the time. Its currently running Monterey - the last OS that supported the 2017 Air, and which is still 'supported' by Apple.

(Full disclosure: I no longer use the Air as my 'daily', but do keep it updated and use it for work travel)

If the Air is running older than Catalina, it shouldn't be a problem - though if newer than Catalina, I really don't know how that goes. I know Apple isn't keen on people 'rolling back' to earlier OSs. And would question, 'Why Catalina?" Is it software you own that doesn't work on newer than that OS?

I don't know that it's 'better' than later offerings - almost every OS Apple produces ends up with those who complain its buggy and worse than last version, and Catalina had its fair share of that, too. But for everything Apple seems to break with each OS version, it does include security patches, too.
Appreciate your advice! Yup, I was unable to rolling back if I proceeded to upgrade the os to Monterey! That's why I'm curious whether nay method to "manually" upgrade from Mojave to Catalina instead of Clean Install Catalina!

mactreouser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2008
No, that's an upgrade, so it will install fine. However, it's still very out of date so app compatibility will be a growing problem on Catalina too.
Thank you for clarifying!
So, how's the procedures or steps to upgrade from Mojave to Catalina? (To avoid the latest upgrade version thru system update)

I did try to download Catalina from App Store then click on the Installer to "upgrade"! Unfortunately, it was stuck at halfway (loading bar never end), it would not complete the process even I left it overnight!

What's wrong? Or better suggestion from you?

apostolosdt

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2021
Still on Mojave, you may be able to download an "install" app for Catalina, and install the latter without a USB installer. I do that regularly, but admittedly for much newer OS versions.

On Terminal, you type the following command:

softwareupdate --fetch-full-installer --full-installer-version 10.15.7

I inserted the latest Catalina update, "10.15.7", but you may download whatever suits you. After running the command, you will be asked to insert your password; on completion, you will find the OS installer in your Applications folder. Run it and follow instructions, as usual.

Like I said, though, I've only done that with much newer versions.

mactreouser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2008
Still on Mojave, you may be able to download an "install" app for Catalina, and install the latter without a USB installer. I do that regularly, but admittedly for much newer OS versions.

On Terminal, you type the following command:

softwareupdate --fetch-full-installer --full-installer-version 10.15.7

I inserted the latest Catalina update, "10.15.7", but you may download whatever suits you. After running the command, you will be asked to insert your password; on completion, you will find the OS installer in your Applications folder. Run it and follow instructions, as usual.

Like I said, though, I've only done that with much newer versions.
Thanks for such an useful informations! will give it a shot soon 🤩
This only works when run on Catalina or newer, so it won't be applicable for someone coming from Mojave (10.14.)
Ops. Really? Then, what's the best way to upgrade Catalina?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Thanks for such an useful informations! will give it a shot soon 🤩

Ops. Really? Then, what's the best way to upgrade Catalina?
It sounds like you already have an installer. I can't begin to guess what might be causing the blank update window you were having, though. If you don't have an installer, follow the link on this page: How to download and install macOS - Apple Support

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
the usual way is to download a full installer
prepare a USB install disk
boot from USB, erase the computer's SSD and install new system (Catalina). I'd prefer Monterey though it is fast and modern.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Can I install Catalina on MacBook Air 2017?

If yes, just download the Catalina Installer and create an USB Installer?
Yes; you can install any version from macOS High Sierra (10.13.x) to the latest version of macOS Monterey (12.x.y). And yes, making a USB installer should work so long as you're using an Intel Mac to make the USB installer (Apple Silicon Macs can only make USB installers for macOS Big Sur (11.x.y) and newer).

mactreouser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2008
It sounds like you already have an installer. I can't begin to guess what might be causing the blank update window you were having, though. If you don't have an installer, follow the link on this page: How to download and install macOS - Apple Support

the usual way is to download a full installer
prepare a USB install disk
boot from USB, erase the computer's SSD and install new system (Catalina). I'd prefer Monterey though it is fast and modern.

Yes; you can install any version from macOS High Sierra (10.13.x) to the latest version of macOS Monterey (12.x.y). And yes, making a USB installer should work so long as you're using an Intel Mac to make the USB installer (Apple Silicon Macs can only make USB installers for macOS Big Sur (11.x.y) and newer).

A big thanks again for all of your helps!
My question is, does USB Installer possible to do the Upgrade?
As I understand, Boot from USB Installer leads to Clean Install (Erase Disk then Install).

mactreouser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2008
you can upgrade as well. For upgrade i recommend just installer app not usb
As you mentioned "Just Installer App". I did try a several times on 2 MacBook Air (2017 & 2015) last week, both machines just stuck at halfway! That's why I'm curious or wondering, did I missed out something? In fact, other than "continue" button, there's no way to go wrong 😅

Apple doesn't allow user to Upgrade Manually (other than upgrade through their "Software Update"?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
You should try a bootable USB installer. With that, you would boot to the system on the USB, and (hopefully) you would have a better result (the upgrade to Catalina that you want). I suggest that the install from the bootable USB would avoid what's happening now. The internal boot system, Mojave?, may not be running properly, maybe there is some corrupted system files that just won't accept the update that you are trying while booted to Mojave (I really don't know, just guessing about the problem) Booting to the USB installer would have its own system, and may complete the update successfully.
I recall that you wondered about needing a clean install when using a bootable USB installer. You may need that, if the bootable USB gives the same problem with the install, but I think it will likely work, and you don't have to wipe the drive clean until you give the bootable USB a tryout. You can just choose to "Reinstall macOS", when you see that choice in the menu window. If the existing system will accept it, the installer will simply update the Mojave system to Catalina. You don't have to erase the drive and start from a clean install. The "Reinstall macOS" should work, and will update your Mojave system to Catalina.

mactreouser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2008
You should try a bootable USB installer. With that, you would boot to the system on the USB, and (hopefully) you would have a better result (the upgrade to Catalina that you want). I suggest that the install from the bootable USB would avoid what's happening now. The internal boot system, Mojave?, may not be running properly, maybe there is some corrupted system files that just won't accept the update that you are trying while booted to Mojave (I really don't know, just guessing about the problem) Booting to the USB installer would have its own system, and may complete the update successfully.
I recall that you wondered about needing a clean install when using a bootable USB installer. You may need that, if the bootable USB gives the same problem with the install, but I think it will likely work, and you don't have to wipe the drive clean until you give the bootable USB a tryout. You can just choose to "Reinstall macOS", when you see that choice in the menu window. If the existing system will accept it, the installer will simply update the Mojave system to Catalina. You don't have to erase the drive and start from a clean install. The "Reinstall macOS" should work, and will update your Mojave system to Catalina.
Thanks for that detailed explanation! I'll definitely give it a shot! Update result here soon 😊

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
As you mentioned "Just Installer App". I did try a several times on 2 MacBook Air (2017 & 2015) last week, both machines just stuck at halfway! That's why I'm curious or wondering, did I missed out something? In fact, other than "continue" button, there's no way to go wrong 😅

Apple doesn't allow user to Upgrade Manually (other than upgrade through their "Software Update"?
yeah, just as people said, maybe try USB installer

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
Thanks for that detailed explanation! I'll definitely give it a shot! Update result here soon 😊
I prefer clean install. You can backup important files and just copy them back if needed. Clean install is much better on many occasions especially if older install is somehow corrupted which is probably your case

mactreouser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2008
I prefer clean install. You can backup important files and just copy them back if needed. Clean install is much better on many occasions especially if older install is somehow corrupted which is probably your case
Agree! Perhaps my case was caused by that issue 😕

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
A big thanks again for all of your helps!
My question is, does USB Installer possible to do the Upgrade?
As I understand, Boot from USB Installer leads to Clean Install (Erase Disk then Install).
You can use the USB installer to perform upgrades (just run the "Install macOS ::insert version here::" app from the USB drive) as well as boot from it. Either operation should work. It's basically the equivalent of the old days of buying the OS on a CD, set of CDs, or DVD and kicking off the installer (either by booting to it or by running it from within an existing older OS).

I don't think you hear of people doing this with the bootable USB installers because to even create one, you need to have downloaded the "Install macOS ::insert version here::" app to begin with - and if you know that all you're going to do is in-place upgrades, it's often much faster to either run that installer as is or copy it to a USB drive and then use that USB drive to copy that installer to your target Macs' Applications folder before running.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.