How to install Java 6 and 7 on PPC OS X

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by JoyBed, Jul 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
  1. JoyBed, Jul 16, 2019
    Last edited by z970mp: Jul 26, 2019

JoyBed macrumors member

JoyBed

Some of you were asking me to tell how I got Java 1.6 and Java 1.7 to work on PowerPC OS X 10.5, but I would rather tell you how to easily get it on your own PPC Mac:

Download the file I prepared:
    (http://www.mediafire.com/file/ybafhfbu4uihg5g/java_6_and_7.zip/file)

Manual:

1. Copy everything from 'into Version' folder into:

/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions

1a. If there is a '1.6.0' folder, just delete it as it's the Intel version

Copy everything from 'into JavaVirtualMachines' folder into:

/System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines

In Version folder delete the Current folder with:

sudo rm Current

Now you need to create the 'Current' symlink to designate it as the system default (replace '7' with '6' if you want version 6 instead of 7):

sudo ln -s 1.7.0 Current

Check if it works by typing 'java -version'. The system will report the currently installed version.

Automatic:

1. Download both the above file containing Java 6 and 7, and the Java 6 installer below.

2. Unzip both 'java 6 and 7.zip' and 'Java 6 Installer.zip'.

3. Drag the 'java 6 and 7' folder to your Desktop.

4. Open up a terminal, and drag 'Java 6 Installer.sh' into your terminal window.

5. Hit Enter, enter your password, and watch it fly.

Don't hesitate to give feedback how it's working, and if you have any questions feel free to ask!

Attached Files:

2. Raging Dufus macrumors 6502

Raging Dufus

3. z970mp macrumors 68000

z970mp

Why is Apple able to remotely access any user's system at any given point in time? So much for their "privacy" rhetoric...

Perhaps it's a blessing we only got up to 10.5.

4. JoyBed thread starter macrumors member

JoyBed

I’m not concerned about security and if you dont use the Java than no problem. Even if someone wants to hack your Mac he will be surprised with the PPC architecture because I dont think the whole programs/viruses runs solely on Java. As someone will try to do something else outside Java environment I highly doubt it he will have his program PPC compatible.

5. Raging Dufus macrumors 6502

Raging Dufus

Yes, that was pretty much the response of the PPC Mac community back when it happened. Security by obscurity.

I don't disagree. I just wondered if you were aware and/or concerned, and if so what measures you took to address it.

6. JoyBed thread starter macrumors member

JoyBed

I am curious to see if people will install it and if they will how they will react. If they will be glad to have it or something. So anyone that will start using these Java version please give me a feedback!

7. Raging Dufus macrumors 6502

Raging Dufus

I'm not so sure I agree with the MacObserver's characterization of Apple's action as "remote." I mean, it technically was, but it's not as though it was some secret backdoor built into the OS; and the term "remote access" definitely rings alarm bells among privacy-minded users.

According to the article, the means used to remotely disable the Java plugin was via the "Xprotect.plist" definitions that Apple kept updated as part of the malware protection introduced in Snow Leopard, and though I can't say for sure (wasn't using an Intel Mac anywhere near that time), it seems you had to choose to update it via Software Update.

What likely happened is: Apple changed the definitions to blacklist the Java plugin, put out an update, and when users selected and ran the update, Xprotect.plist did what it was supposed to do and disabled the plugin. So sure, it's "remote" but not without the user's acceptance of it.

8. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Enough with the scaremongering. Apple updated the definition file just like any other security software uses. Bad choice of words in the article. "Can be remotely updated by Apple" IS NOT remote access software.

Xprotect is essentially anti-malware that links into the Gatekeeper security from OS X 10.7 upwards to check the validity of applications. See the Zoom thing from earlier in the week.

It's technology from two OS X versions above anything a PPC can run.

9. reukiodo macrumors regular

reukiodo

I'm curious to know the source of where you found these versions.

10. mmphosis macrumors member

mmphosis

My legal team is maybe not quite as big as theirs, but I believe they do have to provide Sun's open source. IANAL

http://download.java.net/openjdk/jdk6/
    http://download.java.net/openjdk/jdk6/promoted/b27/openjdk-6-src-b27-26_oct_2012.tar.gz
    sha1 (openjdk-6-src-b27-26_oct_2012.tar.gz) = 5343d41886adb7d01acfae9120881769758bab93
    md5 (openjdk-6-src-b27-26_oct_2012.tar.gz) = 3a0963158e07c8829c8bd31a698bd23d

https://download.java.net/openjdk/jdk7/

:oops:

11. JoyBed thread starter macrumors member

JoyBed

Honestly I dont know the exact links but the Java 6 is from some developer version of OS X and the Java 7 in some thread on some PPC forum. The 1.6.0 went smoothly to get working, all the files were there, but the 1.7.0 was pain... There was just the JRE and JDK and none of the Apple specific stuff like command files so I had to get them somehow there. But its now working so its good.

12. netsrot39 macrumors member

netsrot39

Firstly, thanks to the OP for the solution. Has anybody in here tried recent java applications on PowerPC Leopard? I'm really tempted to try jDownloader on my PowerBook G4 and PowerMac G5 since I have yet to find an application for PowerPC to download from one click hosters.

13. JoyBed thread starter macrumors member

JoyBed

I am running the IDE for my microcontrollers in the Java 1.7 and Arduino IDE in Java 1.6 so just try it out if you want.

14. z970mp macrumors 68000

z970mp

Forgive my unsuspectingness, but are there any immediate advantages or abilities we now gain by having Java .6 and .7 available?

15. LightBulbFun macrumors 68020

LightBulbFun

the inner 12 year old in me wants to know does a More modern of minecraft now run on PPC? :D

16. JoyBed thread starter macrumors member

JoyBed

It doesnt require any special libraries so I can say yes.

You can run newer versions of programs.

17. z970mp macrumors 68000

z970mp

I thought it would be helpful, so I simplified the guide so it's easier to follow.

If it would be appreciated, I might just end up making a downloadable script that installs everything for you...

18. JoyBed thread starter macrumors member

JoyBed

Thanks man now it looks awesome! That script would be very useful thing to also have in the post. So the original post can have the manual install and the script install way.

19. z970mp macrumors 68000

z970mp

20. JoyBed thread starter macrumors member

JoyBed

Thahts great man! People will be very pleased.

21. z970mp, Jul 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2019

z970mp macrumors 68000

z970mp

Alright so, there's nothing wrong with the 1.6 you included. All good. But there are two aliases to 1.7 in the 'into Versions' folder, neither leading anywhere, so the only 1.7 present at all is in the 'into JavaVirtualMachines' folder as a .jdk.

Simple oversight? Maybe upload another version with a fixed 1.7?

Picture 1.png

22. z970mp, Jul 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2019

z970mp macrumors 68000

z970mp

As there are no real problems with 1.6, the Java 6 Installer is now ready. Give it a shot!

23. sparty411 macrumors regular

sparty411

24. JoyBed thread starter macrumors member

JoyBed

The 1.7 should be pointing to 1.7.0 and 1.7.0 should be pointing to Java home folder in the 1.7.0 JDK

25. trevor12 macrumors member

Is there any chance to work on my ibook g3 800 MHz ? It says wrong cpu architecture

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.