How to install Leopard and Tiger on the same Mac?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by leopardfan, Nov 20, 2007.

1. leopardfan macrumors newbie

I've only been using a Mac for a few months. I was able to buy a used PowerMac G5 for a very good price as I wanted to learn Mac OS X. The system has Tiger installed but I also want to start using Leopard (it seems really cool).

Is there a way I can install both Leopard and Tiger on my Mac? I would appreciate if anyone could share some pointers and tips.

2. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Partition the hard drive into half then install tiger on a partition and repeat with leopard on the other..

Backup the info from tiger first before doing this..

3. leopardfan thread starter macrumors newbie

How can I choose Leopard or Tiger when the system boots?

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

You can install 10.5 on any volume and select it as the startup disk.

For instance: a 2nd partition or another internal drive or an external drive (though it would be slow compared with an internal drive).

5. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Hold down the "opt" key.

6. leopardfan thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info. I have a wireless keyboard and notice that it doesn't become fully operational until the login screen appears. Will I be able to hold down the "opt" key on the wireless keyboard?

7. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Is it a USB wireless (non-Bluetooth)? Otherwise, it should work on startup. I have the Apple BT keyboard and have full control from power-up.

edit: I'm on a MBP. I'm not sure how it'll work on the G5. If it has the Apple BT adapter, it should work the same.

8. leopardfan thread starter macrumors newbie

It's a BT keyboard (the white one). Good to know that it should still work on startup. Thanks for your help on this gr8tfly.

9. writeous macrumors regular

Just make sure you follow/ read all the steps throughly. I tired this a few days ago and ended up having to format my hard drive all over again to get back the partition I tried to create for Tiger. I eventually gave up, and just installed it on my Ex. HD.

10. leopardfan thread starter macrumors newbie

What steps are you referring to? Is the a document that explains how to do this?

The system I have was used by a video editor. It has two internal drives - a 160GB and a 300GB. The 160GB has Tiger the 300 isn't used for anything useful. Would it be best to partition the 160 drive into say two 40GB partitions - one for each OS - and leave the remaining for the Home directories (/Users) - perhaps as a way to share it across both versions of Mac OS X or would it best to fully isolate each OS from each other with its own /Users?