How to install Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB Internal SSD to Mac Pro 2009

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Rohanpainter, May 8, 2019.

1. Rohanpainter macrumors newbie

Hi,

I would like to install the Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB Internal SSD M.2 2280 NVMe PCIe 3.0 x4 PCI Express to my Mac Pro 2009.

Will it support ?

How to install ? (do I need a software or any technical things to do?

How to make it a boot drive and transferring all the Apps from the old drive.

My Mac Pro config is attached

Attached Files:

2. tsialex macrumors 601

tsialex

Samsung 970 EVO Plus is not macOS compatible. It will not work with a Mac Pro, or any other Mac, and even don't work with hackintoshes.

Samsung 970 EVO and Samsung 970 Pro are macOS compatible. You can read about compatible NVMe and AHCI M.2 drives here: Blade SSDs - NVMe & AHCI

3. Rohanpainter thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Tsialex for your swift reply and thorough information, what would be the fastest SSD that I can purchase for my boot up drive, and fast functioning for editing and colour grading softwares that work with 4k videos.

4. tsialex macrumors 601

tsialex

Samsung 970 Pro + a switched adapter like HighPoint SSD7101-A/SSD7102 or IO Crest IO-PCE2824-TM2 (aka Syba SI-PEX40129), any other adapter will be limited at 1500MB/s.

5. togitom macrumors newbie

togitom

When you say "don't work" meaning will not boot from or will not work at all. Well, it worked perfectly for me until my 8 dollar cheap JEYI x16 card fell apart on me, I think. I have the 1TB version and it was working fine until recently. I even had a cheaper PCIE 4x card and it was working very nicely. Just wanted to see if x16 card and slot will improve the performance or not. But it didn't.

6. bsbeamer macrumors 68020

Why the multiple posts about this?
    https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...sd-for-my-mac-pro-mac-pro-early-2009.2180615/

This same link has been shared with you numerous times:
    https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/blade-ssds-nvme-ahci.2146725/

All the information you need is in that thread. Please read it.

7. tsialex macrumors 601

tsialex

970 EVO Plus is not macOS compatible. Works in a Mac for Windows or Linux, but don't work with macOS.

You can install, but you have constant Kernel Panics, this has been showed numerous times here, just use the search. Samsung support even acknowledged it to a 970 EVO Plus owner.

8. togitom macrumors newbie

togitom

Well, you gave me a scare my friend. I have 1TB Asgard brand NVME and 1TB EVO Plus. Like I said, EVO is now waiting on its x4 card. But, until it arrives, I will back up what's in it to an external drive.

It works fine but again, thanks for warning me.

9. tsialex macrumors 601

tsialex

Start reading the page 24 of the Blade thread, there are numerous reports of problems and KPs with 970 EVO Plus https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/blade-ssds-nvme-ahci.2146725/page-24

10. macoso macrumors newbie

Yesterday I just have to return back to the vendor a new samsung 970 evo plus due to the Kernel Panic on

11. mhafeez macrumors regular

mhafeez

Samsung just released latest firmware for 970 EVO Plus. Now it works flawlessly on Macs/Hackintoshes

12. bsbeamer macrumors 68020

Magician is STILL Windows-based only. All other downloads are ISO that need to be booted with the note "Notice: ISO files may be used only via DOS using a bootable CD/DVD."

Some Mac users will (still) have issues with this on MacPro's...

https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools/

13. fatespawn macrumors regular

fatespawn

I assume you need Windows to update the firmware?

14. EL34 macrumors newbie

EL34

Any word on this? I'd have to dig out an old machine - haven't used windows in a long time.

15. tsialex macrumors 601

tsialex