How to install Windows 8 Consumer preview on MacBook Air

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by ermir4444, Feb 29, 2012.

1. ermir4444 macrumors regular

ermir4444

Hi there does anyone know how to install Windows 8 CP from bootcamp without an optical drive? I have the ISO file but dont know how to go about from there.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. ermir4444 thread starter macrumors regular

ermir4444

i dont have any other computer home. i only have my MBA. do i need to buy an external or is there any other way to install it?

4. buckers macrumors 6502

I have had the Developer Preview running for a few months without problem. Has anyone tried installing the Consumer Preview on Boot Camp, yet? Just wanted to check it's like installing any other Windows and it doesn't screw up the partitions, or anything! lol

5. Yamcha macrumors 68000

Create a Bootable USB drive using Disk Utility and choose Restore to the USB Drive..

6. PaulKemp macrumors 6502

7. cybermach, Mar 1, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2012

cybermach macrumors newbie

semi-success..

I was able to successfully install W8 CP on my MacBook Air (Late 2010)..

Use Windows Setup to automatically download Windows 8 64-bit. Burn it on a USB Stick (my stick is 8Gb). Use Disk Utility to create a new partition and set that partition to the "Free Space" schema (I allocated 40Gb to Windows). Install Refit, then boot from the USB W8 boot-disk and install on the "Free Space" partition.

My installation works but my problem is the BootCamp drivers are not working. I had the Developer Preview previously and I was able to easily install the BootCamp drivers using Apple's BootCamp Windows 7 software: everything worked perfectly.

When I install BootCamp drivers on W8 Consumer Preview (CP), Windows 8 won't boot anymore after I reset it. It shows the loading screen and then resets the Mac. After 3 times, it automatically enters Repair Mode and recovers itself to a working state (before I installed the drivers).

I pinpointed the faulty driver to be the Nvidia Geforce 320M driver. So I went to Nvidia's website and got the latest driver for Windows 8 64-bit. (I have W8 CP 64-bit).

http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook-win7-winvista-64bit-295.73-whql-driver.html

I install it and when it boots I get a black screen. So I manually restored Windows 8 via the W8 CP USB Stick (Repair) and I'm stuck here. Now I have a working W8 CP but slow graphics (when running a game), no sound, no drivers. Any clues?

8. PaulKemp macrumors 6502

I have the same hardware, MBA 2010. But I didn't use bc nor did I have anything preinstalled.

Are you able to boot into the os and use windows update maybe? Or can you use windows 8 feature, reinstalled as new pc? I think it makes a snapshot the first time you boot into the os.

9. cybermach macrumors newbie

semi-success

I'm currently posting this from Windows 8 CP... so yeah my Windows 8 works from a MB Air (Late 2010).. I also installed all 5 available updates... But my Video Graphics driver is still not optimal. Windows 8 animations are smooth, but when you run a simple pin-ball game: it lags. When I installed the Developer Preview, I was able to install all the BootCamp drivers with no hassle.. How did you install the video graphics drivers, is your sound working? Let me know!

10. Yamcha, Mar 1, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2012

Yamcha macrumors 68000

I'm also experiencing issues, although I've successfully installed it I cannot get audio working no matter what.. Even tried latest drivers from Realtek..

It's strange because everything was working fine on Developer Preview..

11. PaulKemp macrumors 6502

Aslo strange that Im on the same HW, and everything is working fine with me. Ill check the versions and post back once im on the mac again

12. PaulKemp macrumors 6502

13. cybermach macrumors newbie

32-bit vs 64-bit

Hi Paul,

I noticed on your blog that you installed the 32-bit version of W8 CP. My MB Air 2010 won't allow me to install the 32-bit version.. Refit gives me an Error when I try booting from a 32-bit USB Windows 8 CP stick. I believe it's because my UEFI has a 64-bit architecture to match my 64-bit MacOSX Lion... Not sure about this.. 64-bit Drivers were working fine with Developer Preview..

14. marcusj0015 macrumors 65816

About the graphhics, make sure you download the latest graphic driver from NVIDIA or ATI. there weren't any graphics changes, so Win 7 drivers should work fine.

15. cybermach macrumors newbie

Hi Marcus,

As I indicated above, I downloaded and installed the latest driver for the Nvidia GeForce 320M from the following link:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/noteboo...ql-driver.html

When I reboot and boot in Win8, I get a black screen.. I need to then recover Windows to use it again... =(

16. marcusj0015 macrumors 65816

Oh, sorry there were a bunch of comments :/ do you have 32 or 64 bit Windows 8?

x64 http://www.geforce.com/Drivers/Results/41694

x86 http://www.geforce.com/Drivers/Results/41697

Those are Windows 8 drivers btw.

17. cybermach macrumors newbie

I have the 64-bit version of W8 CP. I downloaded the same driver you posted but from here instead:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebo...?ClickID=czv7a7fxesafkane7fsvs7p4anfwl4nlansn

When I install it and reboot I get a black screen... Do you have the 64-bit W8?

18. marcusj0015 macrumors 65816

Cyber, can you post a screenshot or something?

19. kamilski macrumors newbie

Can anyone help me with this?

I have the MacBook air lately 2011, with Windows 8 CP installed, and cannot back to Mac OSX. Boot Camp is showing that: "This version Boot Camp is not intended for this computer model".

What should I do to back to OSX? Install another boot loader or sth?

Thanks!

20. marcusj0015 macrumors 65816

Why didn't you just repartition your drive and install Windows 8 without Bootcamp? idgi.

http://techwalls.com/news/install-windows-8-macbook-bootcamp/

21. Yamcha macrumors 68000

Did you try holding the ALT key during boot up?

22. aicom macrumors newbie

Successful install of Win8 on MBP (with 320M)

I've been able to successfully install Windows 8 CP on my 2010 MacBook Pro 13-inch. Here's a step by step of how I did it.

1. Download the boot camp drivers to a flash drive from OS X.
    2. Install Windows 8 (I used a DVD)
    3. Run the boot camp driver installation. DO NOT REBOOT

Now for the GeForce 320M specific stuff (MacBook Pro and Air)

4. Remove the Nvidia driver that the boot camp driver setup installed (add/remove programs, uninstall "Nvidia drivers")
    5. Reboot
    6. Download the R285 drivers for Windows 7 (yes, 7 not 8!) Also note these are NOT the latest drivers (R295 has had issues with Win8 as noted above, so for this I used the previous stable release). To download these drivers, you have to click on the "Beta and legacy drivers" link on the NVidia driver download page.
    7. Install the new NVidia drivers and reboot.
    8. Profit!

I haven't been running this for long (maybe an hour max) but I thought I'd chime in since I did manage to get the 320M working using a NVidia driver so 2D/3D acceleration and brightness control works. There are still 2 devices in device manager without drivers (Coprocessor and SMBus controller) but neither actually require any drivers (just an INF to give it an icon and name in device manager)

23. PaulKemp macrumors 6502

OK, since my MBA isn't that powerful, i though I was running OS X on a 32 bit architecture. I would have thought that this was the issue IF you were running a 64 bit OS. However:

Darwin macbookair.local 11.2.0 Darwin Kernel Version 11.2.0: Tue Aug 9 20:54:00 PDT 2011; root:xnu-1699.24.8~1/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64
    So im not sure exactly. This means I'm running 64 bit.

What if you try to boot into the 32 bit kernel? It think mine does that by default:
    You can alternate between the two by holding down “6″ and “4″ during system boot to load the 64 bit kernel, or holding down ’3′ and ’2′ during boot to use the 32 bit kernel. Your machine should default into the kernel that is best supported.

OK, after further researching mine doesn't boot into 32 by default. I'm running 64 all the way. I see this under About this Mac, More Info, System Software Overview.

24. laudern macrumors 6502a

I have just downloaded the win 8 iso and I only have SL installed on my mac. So my bootcamp is only v.3. Do I need to burn the win8 iso onto a dvd or is there a work around to make the iso a bootable usb??? I dont have access to a windows computer btw.....