Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RamGuy

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
Norway
I've been able to successfully install Windows 8 CP on my 2010 MacBook Pro 13-inch. Here's a step by step of how I did it.

1. Download the boot camp drivers to a flash drive from OS X.
2. Install Windows 8 (I used a DVD)
3. Run the boot camp driver installation. DO NOT REBOOT

Now for the GeForce 320M specific stuff (MacBook Pro and Air)

4. Remove the Nvidia driver that the boot camp driver setup installed (add/remove programs, uninstall "Nvidia drivers")
5. Reboot
6. Download the R285 drivers for Windows 7 (yes, 7 not 8!) Also note these are NOT the latest drivers (R295 has had issues with Win8 as noted above, so for this I used the previous stable release). To download these drivers, you have to click on the "Beta and legacy drivers" link on the NVidia driver download page.
7. Install the new NVidia drivers and reboot.
8. Profit!

I haven't been running this for long (maybe an hour max) but I thought I'd chime in since I did manage to get the 320M working using a NVidia driver so 2D/3D acceleration and brightness control works. There are still 2 devices in device manager without drivers (Coprocessor and SMBus controller) but neither actually require any drivers (just an INF to give it an icon and name in device manager)

Well, the problem I' am facing on my MacBook Air 2011 model is the fact that Boot Camp Assistant in Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3 have been unable to download my Windows Boot Camp drivers for the past few weeks, I only get an error message claiming that "can't install Windows Support software because it is not currently available from the software update server."

So when I can't actually get the Boot Camp drivers through Boot Assistant, and there wasn't any DVD or USB-drive bundled with my MacBook Air 2011 with the drivers on, what am I exactly supposed to do?

I tried downloading the Boot Camp 4.0 ESD from Apple using this link:
http://swcdn.apple.com/content/downloads/54/00/041-0694/sq2RLp7XVNQzRG8qdpsq9sj4 pHsgXkgPYg/BootCampESD.pkg

But upon installation of these under both Windows 8 Consumer Preview 32bit and 64-bit, with or without Windows 7 Compatibility mode enabled I'm just faced with "This version of Boot Camp is not intended for this computer model" like the Boot Camp ESD doesn't feature a package compatible with MacBook Air 2011 models?..

Without the Boot Camp drivers I'm not able to neither enable the Mac Keyboard layout, nor enabling touch nor right-click on the touchpad rendering things utterly useless. I manage to find and install all other drivers manually so that's not the problem, but not having the Boot Camp Control Panel under Windows so I can actually make the touchpad useable and things like that really put the experience to a sub-par level.

I didn't really expect the Boot Camp drivers to install in the first place, but the fact that Apple doesn't ship anything (no DVD nor USB-stick) with the MacBook Air 2011 models and they don't offer any online hosting of their Boot Camp 4.0 package for MacBook Air 2011 models so people can easily grab them is beyond me. So when the Boot Camp Assistant under Mac OS X doesn't work for weeks there is simply no way to get hold of the Boot Camp driver package for this system at all? That's just silly. Now I can't even install Windows 7 because I can't get hold of the Boot Camp drivers whatsoever. Way to go Apple, way to go..

dongua

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2012
Hi aicom,

Can you specify which driver you are using? I searched the R285 driver online, it seems does not work on my MBP(2010 12-Inch). Appreciate if you could give the link or upload the driver to a website.

Thanks

Dg

I've been able to successfully install Windows 8 CP on my 2010 MacBook Pro 13-inch. Here's a step by step of how I did it.

1. Download the boot camp drivers to a flash drive from OS X.
2. Install Windows 8 (I used a DVD)
3. Run the boot camp driver installation. DO NOT REBOOT

Now for the GeForce 320M specific stuff (MacBook Pro and Air)

4. Remove the Nvidia driver that the boot camp driver setup installed (add/remove programs, uninstall "Nvidia drivers")
5. Reboot
6. Download the R285 drivers for Windows 7 (yes, 7 not 8!) Also note these are NOT the latest drivers (R295 has had issues with Win8 as noted above, so for this I used the previous stable release). To download these drivers, you have to click on the "Beta and legacy drivers" link on the NVidia driver download page.
7. Install the new NVidia drivers and reboot.
8. Profit!

I haven't been running this for long (maybe an hour max) but I thought I'd chime in since I did manage to get the 320M working using a NVidia driver so 2D/3D acceleration and brightness control works. There are still 2 devices in device manager without drivers (Coprocessor and SMBus controller) but neither actually require any drivers (just an INF to give it an icon and name in device manager)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.