how to jailbreak from 4.1 to 5.01 untethered?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Steve-Jobs, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Steve-Jobs macrumors 6502

Steve-Jobs

Hi, I've been searching the forum to find a proper jailbreaking instruction to 5.01 upgrade, from 4.1 on Iphone 4.
    I'm kind of new to this I've done Jailbreaking once ages ago and worked perfect, could be my luck. I don't want to mess this one up so I need some help from people who has JB'd to 5.01
    I have my SHSH saved to Cydia (I think I did it says SHSH: 4.1, 4.2.1, 4.2-b3, 4.33 4.3.5, 5.01)
    Is it possible to keep all my apps and contacts musice etc. before Jailbreaking, or do I have to do anything before starting the JB?

Thanks in advance for al your help..

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Are you just JB or also unlocked with ultrasnow on unofficial carrier?

3. Steve-Jobs thread starter macrumors 6502

Steve-Jobs

I'm only JB my BB is still 02.10.04 whic is locked... and the version says 4.1(8B117)

cheers

4. Steve-Jobs thread starter macrumors 6502

Steve-Jobs

It looks like all th JB videos are based on tethered 5.1 JBs does it mean that I have to upgrade from my current 4.1 to 5.1 tethered?

5. secretanchitman macrumors 6502

secretanchitman

no, ios 5.0.1 has an untethered jailbreak since last week or so.

use the latest version of redsn0w or pwnage tool to jailbreak and keep your baseband at 02.10.04. i would recommend redsn0w as it incorporates some important fixes for the jailbreak that pwnage tool doesnt right now. also it hacktivates just fine.

http://www.freakgeeks.com/2011/20298/jailbreak-untethered-on-ios5-0-1-guide/ - this tutorial is exactly what you need. redsn0w works on both windows and osx.

6. Steve-Jobs thread starter macrumors 6502

Steve-Jobs

Thanks for the reply. So do you think I should keep my BB? It's already locked and looks like there'll be no unlock for it...

7. biohead macrumors 6502

If you don't need the unlock, you may as well upgrade the BB too.

8. Steve-Jobs thread starter macrumors 6502

Steve-Jobs

I've managed to create the custom IPSW with redsn0w, now I need to JB with it again, so when it asks the firmware do I select the one I created which starts with NO_BB?

thanks

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, select the custom no_bb ipsw and make sure your iphone is in Pwned DFU mode before or else itunes wont allow you to restore to it.

10. Steve-Jobs thread starter macrumors 6502

Steve-Jobs

Thanks for the reply... IT looks like some people are having issues with opening Cydia after JB, and some cydia apps are not working.
    I was thinking of doing a backup with OpenBackup, but when I restore it'll delete Openbackup too and do I have to install it back again and where does it save my backup?
    Or is there another way to save cydia apps and settings?

Cheers

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not sure how openbackup works. I never used it before.
    What I usually do is have a list of the 10-12 cydia packages that I use and need on my iphone and just install them manually one by one.
    Too many things that I dont use often or are not necessary I dont bother with. I see guys with 50+ cydia packages and Im like WTF when they wonder why they have issues, or no idea what caused what or why they're conflicting etc...
    Stick to the basics and the stuff that are well written and proven bug free for a long time.
    Things like Sbsettings, bitesms, activator, MyWi, TetherMe, My3G for example.

12. Steve-Jobs thread starter macrumors 6502

Steve-Jobs

Ok now I'm getting 1600 error when I tried restore from custom IPSW it says can't restore and I get the 1600 error, i had a look on the net and it's a host error and i need to change the host and get rid off the gs.apple.com.
    The problem starts here, I have two gs.apple.com lines:
    74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com
    #127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com
    I deleted the top one and press ctrl+x and pressed Y but terminal is still there it didn't exit, when I try to close it from top red cross and open back again I get those two gs.apple.com lines again.
    phone is stuck in dfu mode, I hope i didn't make a big mess and bricked the phone!
    any help?

cheers

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Use Tinyumbrella to fix this.
    Open TU, go to Advanced/uncheck the box that says "set hosts to cydia on exit"
    Close TU.
    Make sure you iphone is in pwned dfu mode before you attempt the restore to the custom ipsw again with itunes.
    Good luck.

14. Steve-Jobs thread starter macrumors 6502

Steve-Jobs

Thank you for the reply...
    Now I get the 1601 error! Is that related to the host files again?
    I opent TU and unchecked the cydia and closed without pressing anything, now i get 1601 error.
    Shouldn't have touched it from the beginning!

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Try the whole thing again.
    Error 1601 can be due to faulty iTunes or old iTunes. If old, update iTunes or if current, completely uninstall and then re-install current iTunes. I would Restore the iPhone on another known good working computer, with current iTunes, and known good working USB cable.
    Another problem CAN be the USB port. on my laptop, two of the three ports will NOT work for syncing.
    did you try tiny umbrella to kick it out of recovery??

16. Steve-Jobs thread starter macrumors 6502

Steve-Jobs

I have the latest itunes and the usb is quite new. I have an iMac so no problem with the computer. Now I kicked it out from DFU mode by pressing home and power buttons and connected to TU and unchecked Cydia option. and saved. now the phone is on, shall put it again to DFU and try to restore with itunes?

thanks a lot.

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, Not DFU.
    Pwned DFU. Use redsnow to enter "pwned DFU Mode".
    Its not the same as regural DFU.
    Then once in pwned DFU you can succesfully restore to that custom IPSW.
    Open redsnow, extras, pwned DFU.

18. Steve-Jobs thread starter macrumors 6502

Steve-Jobs

there's already on DFU mode in redsn0w anyway. I'm going to give it another go..

EDIT: still getting an 1600 error. Do i need to kick out from Pwned DFU and open TU and uncheck cydia again? I'm such a dumb!

19. Steve-Jobs thread starter macrumors 6502

Steve-Jobs

Hi,
    I think I've done it this time! after a quick research on good old google found out that I had to update the firmware, apperantly you can't jailbreak an iPhone which is already JB'd, no one told me that, that was my main mistake, but now I know!
    But I figured that out and after doing a firmware update to 5.01 from iTunes (I don't want to keep my BB) I JB with redsn0w and it was pretty straight forward...
    So if anyone comes across this problem and kind of new to JB'ing this is how it's done..

Thank you so much 'Applejuiced' for your help, I always follow you in the forum and appreciate your help to other people, that's one of the reasons that I love here.

Thanks again

20. meagain, Jan 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2012

meagain macrumors 68030

I'm at a loss. Using Pwnage tool. Keep getting the 1600 error. I keep reading one has to change the hosts file and it seems each site I go to suggests a different thing to remove or type in it. I also cannot for the life of me unlock the hosts file to alter it anyway.

I went into Tiny umbrella and that doesn't seem to do anything either.

Can ANYone suggest a good site with simple clear directions on the right way to deal with this? I'm going from 4.3.? to 5.0.1

I type the proper terminal command, see the file, can highlight it but can't delete, etc. :eek:

Thanks

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

22. meagain macrumors 68030

Thanks but I don't see anything there pertaining on my problem.

23. noiceT macrumors 6502a

This video might help you for editing the hosts files. Although if you uncheck the box in TU, you shouldn't have to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIg6ayzCO4A&list=FLMWEae_m82qj4-f6pWc_10g&feature=mh_lolz

Make sure you have the latest TU and itunes.

Pwned DFU is needed as stated above.

24. meagain macrumors 68030

Thx. I've seen that video.

In terminal, I'm typing: sudo nano /etc/hosts

at the bottom of the list I see two apple.com lines. I think I want to delete the #74.... one. I cannot do this in terminal. I can only highlight the line. Hitting the delete button on the keyboard does nothing.

I can't make this file go away. Nor can I type a letter etc in terminal.

----------

In TU, I select my phone under devices. In Advanced tab, I have Save all Avail SHSH and When connecting a device.... are checked.

My phone is still on 4.2.1 BTW (LOL)