How to keep your cellular data use low!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nateo200, Jun 25, 2011.

1. nateo200, Jun 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2011

nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

How to keep your cellular data use low! Since carriers are moving towards limited data plans we can complain all we want but we are still going to have to deal with it eventually or if your already interested in cutting back on monthly bills or don't need unlimited I thought I would start a "guide" towards mobile data usage and have people chip in with advice. I'm hoping some of you AT&T iPhone 4 users with the 250mb plan will crawl out of the wood work :D Anyways here is what I've devised and sort of partially put in practice just as a test run:

-When I'm at a resturant, bar, coffee shop, etc. immediately turn wifi on and check for it and connect to it. Instant easy way to save.

-I know facebook as instant mobile upload ability but think about it, your 10 minutes from home you don't NEED to upload that set of photos right now over cellular! Wait tell you get home to your wifi or alternatively hunt down some wifi nearby. As a former iPod touch user (2008) with only a dumbphone I am pretty skilled in the ability to hunt down wifi, beg people for passwords, etc :D :D. Yes its awkward asking your girlfriend/boyfriends dad the wifi password but just say you want to "watch something on youtube and need wifi".

-Have your mail push less often. I have mine set to every hour instead of every 15 minutes. So far its worked for me.

-Toggle cellular data under network settings if your nearing your quota or you don't need mobile data. (NOTE: This will prevent incoming and outgoing MMS messages)

-Abstain from Youtube videos over cellular especially long ones. These eat data like crazy.

ANyways I will edit and add more tomorrow! But chip in guys! Hopefully if this gets useful and large enough it can be stickied so we can avoid threads and help out the MR community! :)

2. Peteman100 macrumors 6502

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I use 3G in places where WiFi isn't available. If I need to check something quick, I don't bother with WiFi. If i know I'm going to be using the internet a lot, i try to see if there's WiFi first.

4. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Best way to save data for me is the following:

- Pulse news reader app: allows you to save the stories of your favorite websites in one shot while on wifi and read them later data free.

- Opera mini browser: compresses data to tiny amounts. Usually uses 1/4 of what Safari would use.

- Navigon gps app: has on board maps so that you don't use any data getting gps directions.

- No push mail: I log into gmail through my web browser when I need to

With these 4 things the 200mb $15 data plan is quite easy to live with :)

5. nateo200 thread starter macrumors 68030

nateo200

Wow what's your monthly usage look like?!

6. 03jcrhr macrumors member

I have a limit of 100 MB a month. I have wifi basically everywhere I go so I just turn cellular data off, I never realised how little I needed it until I did this

7. ap3604 macrumors 68000

I ended up doing the iPhone 2g trick to get unlimited data but before I did that I had the $15 200mb plan for 3 months and averaged 84mb/month using the 4 tricks I explained above. Would have been even less if I didn't need to use google voice for free text messaging ;)

A really nice benefit of using the 4 tricks above is the fact that you can turn off 3g and force your phone to 2g/Edge without worry so that you basically double your battery life as well :D

8. sharpycl macrumors 6502

sharpycl

I just downloaded opera mini browser and downgraded my mail push connection to a fetch every hour connection. If I can maintain under 250mbs a month I'll drop from the 2gb a month to save a few dollars.

It's not a lot but every little bit helps.

Thanks for the info OP and everyone else whom contributed to this thread.

9. aneftp macrumors 601

Just turn off cellular data when you are out of the house unless you are waiting on some important email that absolutely needs your attention.

Easiest and fool proof way of keeping your cellular data low.

10. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Not intrinsically, most sites support https and you can use apps to help if you feel it is insecure.

I use around 65 mb of data a month, wifi is everywhere, or I can wait five minutes to upload as mentioned.

11. nateo200 thread starter macrumors 68030

nateo200

This isn't a thread to completely get rid of mobile data usage!:eek: Just a "guide" to help those who want to save money but use data better manage. But yes toggling cellular data is another good way.