How to know the path of the file location from spotlight?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hajime, Nov 23, 2013.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

Hello, I found the file I am looking for. Its content is displayed by Spotlight. I can open it. However, I would like to know where the file is stored. How can I find the path (location) where the file is stored? Thanks.

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

If you hold down the "CMD" key while clicking in the item in the Spotlight list, the enclosing folder will open.

3. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Thank you very much for the useful technique. The folder that contains the file shows up. However, is there a way to get the full path? For example, I want to know where that folder is located on my drive.

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Two ways:

While in the Finder, go to menu View > Show Path bar (I this that always on). Another, is to hold down CMD (or right/ctrl) while clicking on the file name in the window title. It will present a popup menu showing the folder hierarchy that you can also use to navigate.

The path bar can also be used to change the current folder by double-clicking the one you want.

5. CrickettGrrrl macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

Thank you! (and a 100 up clicks!)

Augh this has been driving me nuts because I missed seeing the file path while mouse hovering in Snow Leopard, used it a thousand times a day!

Hajime, if you hold the command key while clicking on the file, there's a side pop out which slowly scrolls the entire path at the very bottom in a smaller font, often in two rows. It's quite a bit slower than Snow Leopard's mouse hover, but it will show up.

Yay! :)

6. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Seems that works while the automatic QuickLook window is open. Holding the CMD will show the filename at the bottom, then (if you're patient) the path will show. The latter I didn't know about! Thanks.

7. CrickettGrrrl macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

I loved the mouse hover because it was fast & really worked well. This is way slower and thus not as useful, but I'm so glad Apple didn't remove it altogether!

I already have "show paths" set up for the bottom of my Finder windows and while very useful, it was a pain to open something from Spotlight in Finder just to see the path.

8. prisstratton macrumors 6502

prisstratton

This is something I use that you may find helpful.

http://www.defaults-write.com/display-full-posix-path-in-os-x-finder-title-bar/#.UpOElpHNr2E

If you are not happy using the Terminal then you can always use the Secrets preference pane, available here:

http://secrets.blacktree.com

Once installed, click Finder in the left hand window and scroll until you see the option to “Show path in title bar”.

Attached Files: