Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Heidikh

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2018
Austin
What exactly do you mean by "Voice Over" and by "shows up" (given that the thread is mostly about Voice Control)?

I’m having the same issue but I mostly listen to audiobooks so it’s infuriating. At least with music, you just lose part of a song. With an audiobook, EMS whole sections of the story. Commenting mostly so I can stay updated in case any solutions.

icymountain

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2006
I kept searching from time to time since posting the thread, and never found a solution to this.
While I experience the issue less often (not sure why), it still happens (ruined a listening yesterday).
@Heidikh: not listening audiobooks on the iPhone, but I imagine well how frustrating it must be if this comes in while you are listening...

acsadasdsaasd

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2018
I have an iPhone 6s, that I like a lot.

Except that I cannot use it to listen to music (which I could do 8 years ago with iPhone 3G): when I plug my earphones, and start playing music, Voice Control seems to trigger randomly, often after just a few seconds of playing. So it of course makes it totally impossible to listen to anything.

What could I do to really kill off this "feature" ?
I have seen all sorts of methods that require turning on and off Siri and passwords, but none got me anywhere. Plus I *really* do not want Siri or Voice Control at all. I do not care for these, the screen interface is fine with me, and voice interface is a No Go (I do not need to inform the people seated next to me in the metro about what I do or ask my device to do, I cannot get why the smart engineers in Cupertino did not figure this out yet and put an easy off switch to all these).

We are in 2018 and I also and still having this kind of problem. Could someone being Steve back?

icymountain

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2006
We are in 2018 and I also and still having this kind of problem. Could someone being Steve back?

Nothing that I know of.
And just a couple of weeks ago a friend just asked me how to get rid of this, as I am supposedly "computer savvy". Well, I sadly just pointed her at this more than one year old thread...

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I can’t believe a device WITHOUT a headphone jack still has this problem. Indeed, I mainly use my shure Bluetooth headphone nowadays and never used that headphone jack with a headphone with mic, this is still unacceptable.

Ppal

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2018
I can’t believe a device WITHOUT a headphone jack still has this problem. Indeed, I mainly use my shure Bluetooth headphone nowadays and never used that headphone jack with a headphone with mic, this is still unacceptable.
[doublepost=1534502333][/doublepost]When i use my JBL flip4 bluetooth speaker with iphone 7 riding my bike, it only stops playing and pops up Voice Control when the road as lots of bumps and shakes.. it seems like some kind of auto protection ( of the speakers) that interrupts the connection, so iphone OS tells to activate Voice Control.. its soooo annoying .. grrrr

Jimknop

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2018
So far, it seems to work better than it ever did, so I am hypothesizing that this is the solution ! Many thanks again. I will post if the issue still comes back (and then I would look into the Jack thing).
[doublepost=1535734168][/doublepost]I had the same issue. It was the microphone on my ear buds. Fortunately it had a on off button. When I turned it off it stopped completely.

Vishruth

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2018

Except that I cannot use it to listen to music (which I could do 8 years ago with iPhone 3G): when I plug my earphones, and start playing music, Voice Control seems to trigger randomly, often after just a few seconds of playing. So it of course makes it totally impossible to listen to anything.

I have seen all sorts of methods that require turning on and off Siri and passwords, but none got me anywhere. Plus I *really* do not want Siri or Voice Control at all. I do not care for these, the screen interface is fine with me, and voice interface is a No Go (I do not need to inform the people seated next to me in the metro about what I do or ask my device to do, I cannot get why the smart engineers in Cupertino did not figure this out yet and put an easy off switch to all these).

Just go to settings then general then accessibility then home button then click on siri and thats it

Ive had the problen too and now fixed

Ppal

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2018
Just go to settings then general then accessibility then home button then click on siri and thats it

Ive had the problen too and now fixed
That doesn’t work. If you read all the threads you will understand that the problem remains with siry and voive control both off

icymountain

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2006
There may be several problems, and that may solve it for some, but for me it indeed does not...

sear66

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2018
That doesn’t work. If you read all the threads you will understand that the problem remains with siry and voive control both off

It's insane. I just bought new headphones thinking it was the previous ones. Same issue. Blows my mind how Apple can ignore certain issues for years. iPhones are not cheap - we should not have to do "work arounds" that still don't always work.

Balboa_Montana

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2018
Yeah, I’ve been having the same problem. I can’t listen to music when I’m out walking or anywhere really where I require headphones. Extremely irritating to say the least. Seems ridiculous Voice Control can’t be turned off for music or that there isn’t a fix for this. This is a major flaw imo and these heathens at Apple should have been onto it yesterday!!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's insane. I just bought new headphones thinking it was the previous ones. Same issue. Blows my mind how Apple can ignore certain issues for years. iPhones are not cheap - we should not have to do "work arounds" that still don't always work.

Yeah, I’ve been having the same problem. I can’t listen to music when I’m out walking or anywhere really where I require headphones. Extremely irritating to say the least. Seems ridiculous Voice Control can’t be turned off for music or that there isn’t a fix for this. This is a major flaw imo and these heathens at Apple should have been onto it yesterday!!
While being able to disable Voice Control should be an option, like any other, it seems like the underlying issue in cases like this is something else in that the Voice Control shouldn't be getting activated on its own like that.

Alexander Thornton

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2018
I have additional information about this issue:

I kept the oldest allowable OS on my Iphone SE for years, but accidentally updated it recently. I listen to a lot of music using a JVC headphone set with a mic and "clicker" interface. Until the OS update, I could click once and play what I was listening to last, or at least play randomly from my itunes music. After the OS update, if I click once to pause the music, then wait some tens of seconds, a subsequent click opens the "voice control" feature instead of restarting the music. This is especially frustrating when I am engaged in some activity and my phone decides that I would like to facetime a contact whom I haven't spoken with in over a decade.

No amount of feature de-activation has abated this flaw, and in my experience it adds to the compounding evidence of apple's perpetual, monotonic decline from a meticulously crafted beacon of human-machine interface elegance to a despotic band of ignorant, out-of-touch designers who have inherited an unearned amount of public trust. Maybe that's what happens when you think hardware design elegance is the same thing as HMI design elegance, Jony Ive.

Jbrey411

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2018

Have you figured out how to disable the voice control feature ? I have tried multiple headphone all have microphones in them but it comes on all the time. I have tried JVC, Samsung and the original iPhone ones that cane with phone. Can not get voice control to not go away. Every time I’m listening to Pandora it randomly comes on Anand it’s annoying. Why can’t Apple let you disable this feature? Can anyone help please.

icymountain

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2006
Have you figured out how to disable the voice control feature ? I have tried multiple headphone all have microphones in them but it comes on all the time. I have tried JVC, Samsung and the original iPhone ones that cane with phone. Can not get voice control to not go away. Every time I’m listening to Pandora it randomly comes on Anand it’s annoying. Why can’t Apple let you disable this feature? Can anyone help please.

Nope, I never found a way. Some earphones do it and some others do not.
I guess Apple believe they have already solved the problem: they just removed the jack connector, so they have no need to worry about it now. Sad!

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
i tried General->Accessibility->HomeButton->VoiceControl
"VoiceControl" (help)= Classic voice Control will respond when you press & hold the Home button"

my old school able ear buds have a microphone

its the gym where i have the issue. see if this fixed the issue for me

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
Do people suffering this have ‘shake to undo’ turned on? Sounds like vigorous movement is triggering something.

I have used all my iPhones to listen to music whilst yomping around, so this definitely isn’t a universal issue.

I have ‘shake to undo’ off on my devices however (because it isn’t an Etch-a-sketch :D)

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
settings->general->accessibility->Shake Undo = off

i tried this and still locking up with "voice control" screen prompt
don't think there is an easy fix

apple support said there is not much they can do...

Last edited:

Briza

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2019
I believe there's a way to disable Voice Control in accessibility settings in iOS 10 at least.
The mic isn’t the problem with me cuz I don’t even have to touch the microphone or move for this problem to happen

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The mic isn’t the problem with me cuz I don’t even have to touch the microphone or move for this problem to happen
Seems like disabling it should stop it from getting it activated, even if it's doing it on its own somehow.

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
i notice if there are few people at the gym the iPhone will not lock up as fast.

when this happens to me i know i am NOT going to rush and replace my ears with authentic Beats Studio Wireless for $549.95 in blue with Satin Silver.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.